On Your Bike

It is my impression that they take cycling rather seriously in France - I have yet to find photos or videos of people going for non-sporty Sunday rides on miscellaneous bikes in miscellaneous clothing...

When I go out for a ride with or without other people, it's 20 to 50 miles on a 3 x 8 speed mountain bike with road-friendly tyres - the same bike I have commuted and shopped on for 12 years ...

yes and no, Jeremy, I rode with a racing club in the UK too, just the same as the clubs I've ridden with in France ;-)

Im coming over for Leman 24 in 2017. Get training guys :wink:

1 Like

I’m tempted but haven’t got the time for that one. Did the AriĂ©geoise xxl this summer, well worth a go if you like mountains :wink:

1 Like

Grandson made it to the end. Between them, he and his mate completed 105
laps, a total of 439.425 kilometres, so no mean achievement and well up
with other teams. They lost 10 laps when a derailleur failed and one of
them had to walk back to the pits to get a repair. They had hoped
originally to do 650 km but, as night fell, it got very cold, something
they had not bargained for. So they stopped for a few hours sleep before
setting off again at dawn.

Altogether there were 475 teams, including 80 riders doing it solo (!) and
a total of 4,400 riders. Grandson did their fastest lap – 7 min 7 sec on
his last stint when he was able to go flat out. The fastest lap overall was
5 min 17 sec, probably done by an American riding solo who was keeping pace
with teams of six and eight riders!

4 Likes

Where is it John?

Fried my best tablet
Brief notes only
JUST wanted to say
E-biking is the best thing that can happen
For any ancient bikers. I got mine last year
Cheapest possible
From Norauto’s
I think they put the price up from 370+ when the rush to buy must have surged past supplies. Ace exercise, on French voies vertes
At your own pace. Like a dream gym

2 Likes

You can get a tax credit too.

2 Likes

hi Catharine I am new both to the site and will be relocating shortly to Vienne, my husband and I are both keen cyclists! In fact France is the only place I will as I feel very safe.

Hi John, I am relocating to Saint Savin and I know your shop will be very useful, have you got address!

I try to keep away from bicycles, they hurt ya bum
Toad

Not sure if I qualify but I do cycle when the weather is favourable, usually for about 10-12Kms out and back) on my sturdy old 4-speed steed (Australian Malvern Star)I have had for just on 40 years and which has traversed half the globe with me and has only had tyres renewed.
I say I am not sure if I qualify is because the first ride after Winter - earlier this week, was somewhat reduced in pleasure when I was overtaken by a Jogger! Now I know I am not Tour de France, but that seemed to add insult to injury!

1 Like

Yo Norman. The main question is : Do you have fun when riding your bike ? If the answer is yes play it like me ====> Je m’en bats les c****lles

Je lĂšve mon verre Ă  toi Norman

Yes does Motor Cyclist count. Peddaling is much to like hard work.

A rusty Malvern Star! I had one of those and it always reminds me of these guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAWBSe-GfrA :slight_smile:

Help needed here!

Recently acquired sweet bike, ordinary roadster, Motobécane, I reckon it to be about 40 years old, but in VG état.

I need to pump up it’s tyres, and face a problem. The valves are unfamiliar, and the pump I bought online doesn’t seem to allow a connection with the valve. What do I need to bridge the gap?

There are no bike dealers within 80 km so I shall prefer to buy the gizmo on line to get pedalling again. I have tried out the bike on the local voie verte and it’s a dream, though it has no gears and the saddle is a bit hard for my elderly rump.

Snaps of valve (dust-cap removed) and pump bits supplied below:

I think they are presta valves.

Towards the centre of the wheel you need to undo the silver coloured bit on the valve- you can then pump them up with a fairly standard pump attachment.

Mat has already answered - they’re bog-standard presta valves and any bike shop will be able to sell you a pump or attachement for them :wink:

I’m surprised that Peter is not familiar with them as they were pretty much the standard on bike tyres before the Schrader became popular from about the late 1970’s

All my bikes from 1947 on had the same size valves as cars, Paul. I never saw a Presta valve till I came to France, but didn’t do much bike riding in UK after I retired.

My last push-bike was a Chinese-made “Royal Enfield” sit-up-and-beg that looked handsome and gave good service for about ten years.