Paris cracks down on Airbnb renters with harsher fines - France 24

Yes, I reckon this announcement maybe a shock for those who have not been doing things quite by the book…

1 Like

Presumably this law is just targeting casual renters, if you wanted to rent your home for longer I assume a different tax setup can be used? Any ideas?

Paris is providing each Rental with an official number which must show on all adverts from October…to prove that the lodgement is officially recognized…

De nouvelles règles dès octobre

Mais le business reste juteux. Un des propriétaires condamnés récemment avait treize logements sur le site Airbnb, autant d’appartements en moins pour les Parisiens qui cherchent un toit. Et l’étau va encore se resserrer à partir d’octobre avec de nouvelles règles. À Paris, un numéro fourni par la mairie devra automatiquement figurer sur les annonces publiées sur le site de location, sous peine de sanctions.

I see, so there has been some major abuse by landlords then!

Seems that Paris is worried that landlords are going the AirBnB route (illegally or not) and drastically reducing the availability of properties for Parisians who are seeking somewhere to rent, to live in… not just on holiday…

Plus, of course, these AirBnB (as an example) properties are taking away the holiday trade from hotels/auberges and the like…

It’s all exploded… and the authorities are trying to get a grip on what is going on… make sure they get whatever taxes are due, safeguard local businesses and still allow registered folk to rent out (short-term).

1 Like

Less availability of property for locals drives up the price of housing. I believe there is a similar crackdown in Spain.

I have been renting out my 3 family apartments o airb&b AND VRBO for the past 10 years. There was a time when that was a wonderful way to make a little money while covering all costs of our apartments and leaving them generally available for friends and family as needed. All that has changed in the past 4 years because everyone and their brother has their apartment on airb&b.

Now, understand that I have a house-keeping service that cleans my flats before and after each guest. They also provide ironed 100% cotton sheets and high quality towels. This service is not inexpensive but it is well worth the expense for the reviews we get. My daughter manages these flats for me when I am in the US. When I am in Paris, I manage them which means meeting every guest, handling minor repairs and things that simply happen (we’re locked out, can’t open the washer, make the tv work, etc) This is not true for many of the apartments I see on line. We did not become “Superhosts” by accident!

My point in all of this is that beginning December 1st I will be turning 2 of my Paris apartments to full time rentals. Why? There are SO MANY apartments on Paris Airb&b these days that for what I now earn from renting them + the work involved + the cost of ongoing maintenance makes it just not worth the headache.

If you know of anyone interested in renting a nicely furnished Parisian apartment (15eme near the 7th, Metro Commerce) for one year, please send them my way. I have a 40m 1 bedroom and a 72M 1 bedroom. Hausmanian building with Guardienne and elevator. contact me here: zabie@sbcglobal.net

generally speaking people who stay in airb&bs are not looking for a hotel experience, they want to live like locals… for myself, I truly appreciate the possibility of a kitchen. I like to make my own coffee in the morning and relish the ability to shop at the local marches, bring stuff home and make a meal or two. This may not be true for many people, but most of the people who have rented my Paris flats take full advantage of the kitchens.

Hi Marie

The hotels/auberges are complaining that their trade is being taken by folk who let their rooms/apartments etc illegally…

Those who seek long-term accommodation are finding the pool of available property is getting smaller and smaller…

The local government is not receiving funds… because the illegal landlords are not declaring/paying what they should etc etc

and all this is being blamed on sites like AirBnB…