PM Theresa May says there will be no attempt to remain inside EU

That's so grim. We were allowed to do O levels ahead if they thought we were up to it so I got a load out of the way early (things like French Latin scripture maths*) and then got another 9 or 10 the 'proper' year - it made choosing A levels much easier because you could just go for what you liked and were pretty much equipped.

*Maths because I was so bad at them from not having gone to school for 2 years and being moved up a year after 2 weeks so the idea was to do O level every year until I got it, but I got it first go. Not sure how...

Peter, take a look at this...this guy is as close to a comic book hero as one could get.....I'm sure he's well known in the U.S....and , wait for it........... his 1st name is Wilbur....

He was an actual 'Thunderbird'........(Da,da,daa,/da,da,da /da,da,da,da,da,daaa)....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_L._Creech

Very impressive looking character HJ.

Any chance of letting me have some of what you are on ? (da,da,daa,/da,da,da hic, hic etc etc) !!!

Could it be the home-made cider lollies..?

Pray what are you inferring ?......

I think not....a natural optimist has no need of mind -altering substances or stimulants...!

'Cider lollies' eh ?

Sounds a real den of iniquity, how does one get an invite ??

It's all very innocent here in the Hte Vienne by comparison !

Put an Englishman into the garden of Eden, and he would find fault with the whole blasted concern; put a Yankee in, and he would see where he could alter it to advantage; put an Irishman in, and he would want to boss the thing; put a Dutchman in, and he would proceed to plant it.
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw)

I like the English. They have the most rigid code of immorality in the world.
Malcolm Bradbury

What Britain needs is an iron lady.
Margaret Thatcher

The whole strength of England lies in the fact that the enormous majority of the English people are snobs.
George Bernard Shaw

If the French were really intelligent, they'd speak English.
Wilfred Sheed

Always blame it on the guy who doesn't speak English.
Homer Simpson

so for you a quote is putting words into someone's mouth? No, it's quoting something the person once said or wrote.

--------------------------------------

"We [Britain] are bound to further every honest and practical step which the nations of Europe may make to reduce the barriers which divide them and to nourish their common interests and their common welfare. We rejoice at every diminution of the internal tariffs and the martial armaments of Europe. We see nothing but good and hope in a richer, freer, more contented European commonalty. But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed. And should European statesmen address us in the words which were used of old, 'Wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or the captain of the host?', we should reply, with the Shunammite woman: 'I dwell among mine own people.'"

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-104/wit-and-wisdom-12

John,

Nice work.....and makes me want to read the books they've written......what did I read by Malcolm Bradbury (?).....no, I think it was Ray bradbury's 'Fahrenheit 451'....

...........and that Homer Simpson...didn't he write about that Odysseus guy ?

I like these...

• "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise."
    -- F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • "Political language... is designed to make lies sounds truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."
    -- George Orwell

"The problem with quotes you find on the Internet is that it can be hard to verify their authenticity."
-- Abraham Lincoln ;-)

Isn't the plan to modify it in order to increase public safety?

At the same time I think London is doing away with a lot of CCTV-cameras.

Problem-Reaction-Solution

The people will soon be demanding that the government take away their freedom. Fear is the key.

Barbara, the Human Rights Act allowed my natural mother to take me to the High Court to prevent me from trying to find my natural father.

I feel sure that was not what was intended, but it was the consequence.

Great selection

That was mean.

Did you eventually find him?

Well, considering how long it took to get rid of certain dangerous Muslim extremists and their extended families from the Uk, I wouldn't be surprised if she, at least, tried to extricate us from part of it !

Where did you find this ?..I watched the BBC news and there was no mention of it, as far as I am aware.

As we are leaving we'll keep the bits that are good for us and forget the rest.

Teresa May will not be out to do anything 'provocative', as regards EU migrants already in the UK. She wants and needs to ensure reciprocal arrangements...no-one wants a flood of people in either direction, so we shouldn't jump to 'worst possible scenario' conclusions...it wont happen.

I saw a video earlier. But there's this

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-westminster-council-scrap-cctv-government-cuts-a7058671.html

and these:

https://www.google.fr/?client=firefox-b#q=cctv+cameras+cut+back

" Ismael, you're not on CCTV-camera"

Yes and no, Peter.

It was 1930 when Churchil said "We are with them, not of them" so definitely no EU.

But he was definitely still alive when the EEC (later known as the EU) was formed because he later said "I think the government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community".

No, she lied to the County Court and gave the impression that he was English. I later learned that she had an affair with an Australian Air Force Officer, but she never told me his name.

I thought it is supposed to be replaced by a British Bill of Rights.

Malcolm Bradbury: probably his best known book is The History Man. He wrote a book about Waugh which is the first I read of his - I'm too lazy to go and look it up but I suspect he wrote more lit crit than novels, he also wrote a lot of screenplays.

I guess I was trying to make a point of you taking W.C. and putting him in todays situation as if he has risen from the death. As for not being of Europe, EnglandĀ“s royals are of German origin, English language is 60% french/latin, the religion Italian, well, given an own touch by Henry, the Viking heritage, .... The tight historic relationship Scotland-France .....

I guess I was trying to make a point of you taking W.C. and putting him in todays situation as if he has risen from the death. As for not being of Europe, EnglandĀ“s royals are of German origin, English language is 60% french/latin, the religion Italian, well, given an own touch by Henry, the Viking heritage, .... The tight historic relationship Scotland-France .....