Pottery and ceramics

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who makes pottery or ceramics? I already sell in Europe (including UK) through Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr (Handmade section) and Etsy. I also have my own website at www.creationsdesuzanne.co.uk and would love to hear from others with the same interests.

Regards, Suzanne

2 Likes

Hi Suzanne,

I just joined SF recently, so am seeing your message from May for the first time. I make ceramic sculpture; I have a plan to live in France within the next few years. Iā€™ll be in Paris in November 2017 and plan to visit La Borne while there. I have no idea whether any of this is of interest, so please forgive if Iā€™m offering too little that you can use. My plan is to network and travel to as many ceramic arts centres as I can, over the next couple of years. Ultimately, I need to find a studio where I can make clay sculpture and do raku firings. I might sell my work but mostly I seek a place to make art, as I luckily have an independent income at present so donā€™t have to sell my work to survive.

A first stop, as I mentioned, is La Borne. It would be a pleasure to meet you, at some point, if you felt inclined.

Currently, I do a lot of volunteer work for art teachers here in Vermont USA, and would love to support the arts community in which I eventually settle in France. If you know of a situation where an established ceramics artist could use studio assistance would you perhaps let me know? I have experience and training, and referencesā€¦ But thatā€™s getting a bit ahead of myself.

The bottom line: I do plan to make ceramics and would like to learn more about selling in France/Europe. I donā€™t have a website, nor do I sell via Etsy. That said, I do feel that I might have the same interests. Perhaps it would be fun to correspond, and/or meet.

Attached is an interesting document with a list of ceramic arts centers contacts in France. If you have any advice or would like to meet I would be honored. Iā€™m so new to all of this!

Thanks,
MaryCeĢramique : adresses eĢcoles et centres de formation de ceĢramique.pdf (733.8 KB)

Hi Mary,

Sorry it has taken a couple of days to get back to you but Iā€™m unexpectedly having to go to the UK tomorrow so things are a bit rushed around here at the moment.

Anyway, as you can see from my website, I have only a very small pottery and I work alone. This started as a hobby then took off when I realised that people would buy it. We are planning to move soon and a bigger pottery is definitely on the list.

I buy a lot of my supplies from a company called Solargil S.A at Moutiers en Puisaye (www.solargil.com http://www.solargil.com ). Driving up there to collect my order it seems that every close village is full of pottery shops and studios plus they have displays and seem to support a lot of local artists. Maybe an internet search could help there or contact the company themselves and they may be able to help. They do have a concept store in Paris which could be of help to you when you visit (solargil@conceptstore.paris mailto:solargil@conceptstore.paris ). The address is 92 bis rue Jean Pierre Timbaud, 75011 Paris ā€“ Tel: 01 42 77 59 09 and they are open between 13.00 ā€“ 19.00 on Mondays and 10.30 ā€“ 19.00 Tuesday to Saturday.

To answer your question ā€“ No I donā€™t work for them or get commission! I seriously have not seen so many ceramic shops and studios all in one area. Apparently that area is well known for ceramics. It also looked a lovely area.

Iā€™m sorry I canā€™t help any further and I hope you enjoy your visit in November, I donā€™t know if I will be back here then so I donā€™t want to make any plans at the moment (going over to help my parents and things are a bit difficult with injuries + dementia) but it would be nice to correspond, maybe meet up one day and see your work.

Have a good trip!

Best wishes,

Sue x

1 Like

Sue,

Thanks so much for your reply! Good to know Iā€™m heading in the right direction, for ceramics artisans/artists, this first trip.

Iā€™d like to wish you safe travels as well. The experience with family health issues - parental ones in particular - is something Iā€™m a bit familiar with.

Best,

Mary