Refugee crisis

Here is the video I put up earlier that has ceased to work on Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQ-IoHfimQ

plus one more

http://y2u.be/IpBGfmIMfr0#sthash.SRy2ufim.dpuf

Thanks Brian,

A compassionately worded post.

(the link doesn't seem to work though, I think the full address was cut short in the post).

I don't think it matters where you come from, or what religion you may follow, if any. As a human being I find it very difficult to sit back and do nothing in response to this terrible situation.

Donate if you aren't comfortable getting too involved, you will still make a difference to someones life.

Amazing if you can do more, offer accommodation or mobilise the local community.

To do nothing would be a very poor reflection on us all as human beings.

We are foreigners in someone else's country, we are not 'ex-pats'. If you, like me have been shown nothing but kindness in this new land, tolerating my poor language skills, accepting me setting up a new business, even giving me fruit so that I can then give back the jam I make.

I wasn't brought up to be selfish, I wasn't taught to ignore people directly in front of me, we can all acknowledge another human being even if we can't afford to give them money.

I don't know what the full answer is, but I do know that it ISN'T doing nothing.

Old clothes, blankets, books, toys. They will all be needed more than ever, I am sure that every local Marie's office could set up a collection point?

Well said Mark Rimmer. I totally agree with you…but I think we are in the minority on this subject with our opinions.
Well said though.

Ah, but you make no secret of your political leanings & your first sentence puts me, in your view,firmly under the influence of the opposite. It would be nice if people would just accept that I have seen & read reports from various sources but have, in fact made up my own mind regardless of whether those views are shared by left or right wing politicos.

I have access to the same media as most other SFN members who have likewise formed their own opinions which they can express here.

Europe is faced with a huge influx of people seeking shelter & with all the will in the world countries are going to struggle to magic thousands of homes out of thin air for immediate occupation, but seems to be what most migrants expect (probably after being phoned by Brian's single migrant with a mobile phone)!

We've started a group to collect and transport donations in France. We have people leaving for Calais soon and are looking at other areas too. If you would like to join us (750 have in the two days we have been open) then we can be found at
on Facebook here.

Actually Laraine, The Germans and Austrians will not accept these people unless and until they have3 been processed, i.e. have their details checked like country of origin, age (DOB), etc, etc. These two countries have specifically requested the Hungarian government to stop all trains to their countries until these people submit to being processed under EU laws.

Some of these people particulalry the young males have become very threatening and aggressive and have thrown stones and bricks at the Hungarian police. They have already been given sanctity when they arrived in Greece from where they have changed their own status form political refugees to "economic" refugees.

They are fast becomming the tale that wags the dog - laying down the law in a host nation. What are they going to be like once given permission to settle?

I have kept politics out of it deliberately and have been critical of media without naming them.

that does help Wendy... great post.

I've contacted our Mairie, spoken to people in our village of 600 to say, between us, together, we can do something. Apathy from our local and state government is not good enough.

of course, the mairie has not replied - but, another push, another prod

x t

Why does everything have to have a political lean?? I watch the live news feeds - BBC one running as I write & I can hear angry migrants chanting "Germany!" which is their destination of choice. Sure, they are frustrated because relocating thousands of people will take time & no left or right wing politics will change that! It seems that many rather than one in so many thousands DO have phones. Next time do a quick count rather than rely solely on your favorite left wing newspapers who seemingly are the only ones getting it right!

I hate to say it but not long ago Syrians were accusing the Americans & British of abandoning them when the troops should be there fighting for them. Not necessarily the answer but surely more should be done both by Europe AND the migrants themselves to restore their countries to the peace they used to know rather than Europr becoming a lifeboat to a sinking Middle East?

There are two sides to every story & both left & right wing media have to include factual material & I am no more impressed by the Mail than I am the Guardian.

Look at this video:

http://y2u.be/IpBGfmIMfr0#sthash.SRy2ufim.dpuf

Here is the video I put up earlier that has ceased to work on Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQ-IoHfimQ

Too many people around Europe seem to think it is our crisis. But whatever temporary inconvenience it is for us, it is much worse for them. If the rich Free World is unprepared to help, what does that say about our "values."

Hi Wendy, there must be so many Expats who have gites that are empty now the season is over, these could be used for individual families until something is organized by the French Government to give these poor refuges a permanent accommodation.

The problem is that if the Hungary President is going to make it hard for refuges to move out of Hungry,

I cannot understand why the Hungarians, just don't let the trains leave so they can get to Germany and Austria it would make more sense. What upsets me is these mothers with their little children have to go through all these traumas. it is so dangerous for these little children. Could you imagine if you lost your children in this way.

Yes. I was among a group including MSF in Lebanon during the civil war, we all went to front line areas although a few NGO people thought they were too indispensable to risk their lives.

we already do a monthly to MSF & will be making a one off to them for this crisis... my husband formerly a photographer for National newspaper has nothing but admiration for them, witnessed them working in conflict & war zones...no time at all for quite a few NGO's who drive around in their shiny new 4 wheel trucks...MSF get their hands dirty and in at the heart of the problem.

I've signed every petition I can...don't think I've missed any...my fingers work hard to show my indignation!

A Friend of mine had a good idea, Let all the poor people from Syria, Afganistan, Iraqi, Palestine come over to Europe, on a temp basis so there are no innocent people in their own countries, Then send in the SAS and bomb all those countries to get ride of all ISSI and the terrorists.

Thanks Wendy. I've just emailed him to see if SFN as a site can help to publicise this as I'm sure there are lots of people within the expat community who would be able to help. Cxx

ps I haven't forgotten about the jewellery - just haven't had a moment!

I'll second that Tansy. We have some local people coming to see us this evening to see how we can help, advise or be generally useful locally. All of them have signed the Change.Org petition and have been told about the Avaaz one, I'll throw this in and we have already decided to help sponsor some doctors via Médecins Sans Frontières who are apparently willing to go to give services to refugees as they leave Syria most in need.

Oooooh! The first two paragraphs come straight out of the legends of various media I need not name. Yes, some people have mobiles, but one in so many thousand does not mean that they all do. I do NOT rely on any media including what is considered reputable, truthful or whatever. I have good and easy access to a number of sources of information among UN agencies, NGOs and people working on the ground. The majority of people are not at all advantaged under 'normal' circumstances in their own country, war is not the most inviting situation so people leave. When a whole country is in turmoil they get out. In the case of Syria surrounding countries are already saturated, to repeat what I have said already, there are also Iraqi and Palestinian refugees. The Arab states are not taking people, nor would most of them wish to go there on an out of the frying pan into the fire possible consequence.

thank you Brian for clarifying this issue...I for one think the whole thing is appalling - Angelina Jolie spoke up last night too...we need more and more folk to speak out...

38 Degrees have made it really easy to write to your MP...and as we were able to vote for last time in General Election (15 year rule) I have done that...DC is now waivering at last about taking more in...

Thank you for writing to your MP about the refugee crisis. Together we’re standing up for Britain's long tradition of helping refugees fleeing war.

Tonight, 38 Degrees members across the country are lighting a candle in their window as a sign of remembrance for those who have drowned trying to reach safety. Please join in if you feel moved to.

Many of us are also putting signs that say ‘refugees welcome’ in our windows to show the kind of place we want Britain to be. You can find a ‘refugees welcome’ poster to print and put in your front window here:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/refugees-welcome-poster

If you don’t have a printer, or want to show refugees are welcome straight away, please share the image on your Facebook page:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/refugees-welcome-fb

There are lots of other ways 38 Degrees members are trying to help those fleeing war and violence.

To find your local drop off point to donate clothing and other items to help refugees, you can search on this map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?usp=sharing…

If you want to help those who are stuck in Calais, you can join the facebook group where people are co-ordinating the aid they’re taking to Calais:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalaisMigrantSolidarityActionFromUK/?hc_location=ufi

If you want to donate money, there are lots of organisations with open appeals. Doctors of the World are currently the only organisation providing medical care to refugees in Calais, you can donate to them and find out more here:
http://www.doctorsoftheworld.org.uk/pages/calais-appeal

The British Red Cross is calling for more funds to support affected people in Syria and neighbouring countries:
http://www.redcross.org.uk/…/Curren…/Syria-Crisis-Appeal

Inside Syria, there are volunteer rescue workers who risk their lives to save families and children fleeing the violence. There’s a ‘Hero Fund’ to treat these injured volunteers and support the families of those killed. You can donate to the fund here:
https://herofund.whitehelmets.org/donate/crowdfund/…

Thank you,

Nat, Laura, David, Amy, Megan and the whole 38 Degrees team

The first few thousand, mainly professional people, did leave that way a few years ago. Since 2012 there have been almost no such people in Syria except those close to the government and ruling class. The vast majority of refugees are quite ordinary people. They are also not just potential terrorists since they come from a variety of Moslem sects, several of which are not involved in any terror, various Christian churches, including the oldest coptic church congregations anywhere, Druzes, Jews, some tiny groups who trace back to Zoroastrianism. Then the ethnicities are varied, even including ancient Greek communities and the Doms who practice an ancient Romani mythology with origins in India that is the root of Roma belief here in Europe. I could go on and on. There is, unfortunately, no simplicity in the picture.

Beyond the Syrian situation, just remember there are other genuine refugees from other conflicts. At present there are about 35 countries with civil or inter-country, internal terrorist conflicts and such things as the so called drugs war in Mexico. That is about as simple a picture as I can 'paint'.