Separating plots of house for selling?

We inherited my parents property, which is listed as 3 separate plots.

1 plot is the house, which has a single garage connected to it.

plot 2 is a portion of the garden, previously separated due to inheritance etc. and bought by my parents

plot 3 is a double carport which is across the road and at the end of a neighbours garden. My parents previously allowed these to park in one side.

We have decided to sell the house as we rarely visit, and this morning signed an agreement with the estate agent on sole agent basis for 3 months. Typically we have now told the neighbour and they have asked if we would be interested in selling them the carport on their side of the road.

To me it seems desirable for them to have the carport but I am now in this estate agency agreement (please don't reply back and tell me I shouldn't have done a sole agreement or signed out of the cooling off period as I know I should have spoken to the neighbours first).

I have no idea at the moment how many fees would be involved in selling this part... and obviously wouldn't want to jeopardise any sale of the house / be left owning a double carport if the house sold without it.

has anyone sold a portion of the property before? In my mind, if the house isn't selling in the near future, we could sell them the carport portion and the house / single garage wouldn't look like much less of a proposition but I have no idea how much it would be worth / how much the notaire charges would be to sell it.

Ideas / thoughts please.

Just to update you, we have agreed a price to sell the property (all together) to a cash buyer.

Hopefully we will have the surveys organised soon and then be free to move on.

Dear Becky,

Further to reading your discussion, I would agree with Brian from having to deal with the situation in a chronological order. However, since the neighbours have already been using the carport, an agreement (verbal but nonetheless and agreement) may be in place which may give them a pre-emption right (an option on the property providing a right to purchase the property before anybody else).

If this is the case, chances are that they are not aware of it but a cautious approach should be adopted.

If you decide to sell the property separately from the carport, the latter should naturally be sold last but having obtained a preliminary agreement from the neighbours before the sale of the property. This would cover you regardless of the situation.

As far as registration fees are concerned, the notaire is bound by a legal tariff and for that reason the same quote should be provided regardless of the notaire but this is rarely the case in practice and requiring a quote at the outset is not only advisable but should be done by the notaire by law.

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately my parents had already let them use it rent free for a number of years in exchange for mowing the lawn.... although someone else mows the lawn occasionally and I'm not sure if there is any arrangement between the neighbour and the person who does it or not.