So what is a renovation?

Of course there is…if you say so.

It wasn’t analysis, I don’t pretend to be an analyst, I was just saying what I see around me.
If you want an analysis there are dozens of articles to pick from, eg http://www.pap.fr/actualites/immobilier-quelles-previsions-pour-2017-et-2018/a19296 which sets out a list of reasons that seem perfectly logical to me. According to this article, the unprecedented bubble that started a year or two ago in certain sectors is expected to continue fairly strong into 2018 but at the expense of other sectors, particularly older properties. However it is noticeable on the graph that prices in some areas still haven’t got back up to where they were in 2012, as compared to the UK where prices have risen a lot since 2012. There is also an expression, one swallow does not a summer make. See 10 year comparison here http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/United-Kingdom/price-change-10-years There’s a pretty clear dividing line between the countries that traditionally have a “housing market” and those that don’t. Maybe France is going to cross the divide or maybe it’s having a blip, only time will tell, and like I said, i was talking about my generation’s behaviour.

Which brings us back to the crux of the debate. Renovate into something people want to buy !![quote=“Mark_Robbins, post:82, topic:16218, full:true”]
Of course there is…if you say so.
[/quote]

Go find a decent property in Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Bordeaux, Montpellier etc.

Booming??? I must be living in a parallel universe where that’s not actually the case…

Actually Mark…the crux of the debate is surely…why people renovate… and from the posts here, it seems that folk renovate a property into something they want to live in…

3 Likes

Exactly, a house should be comfortable and enjoyable to live in. Enjoying life is far more important than being a slave to a money pit…

3 Likes

There are those who live to make money and those who make money to live. I think this thread proves beyond a doubt that ne’re the twain shall meet. And personally I think it’s nice that the latter category seems to outnumber the former category on this forum, it suggests that folk moved here to live fulfilled lives that are about much more than “money-grubbing” as me mum used to call it.

4 Likes