So who would you vote for in France

I just had a quick search.

http://www.europeanlawmonitor.org/eu-legal-principles/eu-law-does-european-law-override-national-law.html

I is always right when my wife says its OK to be :laughing:

1 Like

Lee, without you blowing up your blood pressure and you keeling over, I have no problem with that link you sent.

That’s where we are both different as I believe the EU has done more good for the UK and for it’s citizens and again, don’t blow a fuse, I think the EU more democratic than our weird setup of a unwritten primary consistution, in the UK.

Martin

The main reason I voted out was indeed because of the bureaucracy and the interference of UK laws.

I’m looking for a specific example of the EU interfering @anon29800096 If you could cite your best and clearest example I think we would have a starting point for a debate.

I think James a debate on this should be a separate thread as this one was originally about who one would vote for in France. Kinda morphed into a generalist thread. However the example I gave earlier is one aspect that needs to be looked at in my view.

Would you like to start the thread please?

You were lucky, sugar beet! We used to have to get up before we went to bed t’lick motorway clean​:joy::joy:

I’m not suicidal James :laughing:

Least you had a bed, we were so poor we slept in empty sardine cans, couldn’t afford shoes either used to put black shoe polish on us feet to go to school. :laughing:

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction then? Where do I find out which laws have been interfered with by the EU? I’ve heard this claim a lot in the last 18 months but I never managed to get it substantiated.

3 Likes

With respect James I already posted a link which states European law overrides national law. That is interference is it not? A case in point is Babar Ahmad and radical preacher Abu Hamza cannot be extradited EU courts have ruled. British law used to be any undesirable, foreign criminals would be deported.

The NFU wrote what I quoted in their report. That would be the National Farmers’ Union of the UK, not some EU quango or commission.

Self sufficient means you can feed yourself completely, so if your home produced food runs out by August 9th, then you can’t say you are self-sufficient. I don’t understand what part of ‘the UK is only 60% self sufficient in food and has to import 40%’ is unclear.
I’m sorry to be pedantic, but 60% means that right now the UK produces only a bit more than half the food it needs to, ie it is not self-sufficient, which is what I said in the first place.

That is a 2016 NFU report I found, that’s all it says, I didn’t edit it.
So according to the NFU right now the UK is NOT self-sufficient in food and it cannot become so IN SHORT ORDER.
As I said.

3 Likes

I wonder how Britain survived as an independent nation for 100’s of years before the EU. Especially during the war years.

1 Like

Are you being serious? If you are look at population figures and the number of people who worked on the land.

There is also the little detail of modern tastes. British consumers expect their shops to have fresh produce available daily in their food shops that cannot be produced in the UK. All the self sufficiency in the world cannot compensate for that and reverting to root crops and cereal diets is not going to improve living standards in Soverign Britain. At the same time many Cornish fishermen export up to 100% of their catch to Brittany and Normandy. They do not do this because they have discovered a niche market, they do it to get some return on an otherwise wasted catch. What they catch the local population doesn’t want. If self sufficiency is to be achieved tastes must change.
In the war the Merchant Navy suffered huge casualties as they endeavoured to keep the British Isles supplied with the basic necessities. I would have thought a British Army Officer would have been well aware of that.

2 Likes

I’m well aware of the heroic efforts contributed by the mercantile marine, The war years was an extraordinary situation in which we were dependant on food imports, we are not at war now therefore not so dependant. All I’m saying is Britain survived admirably despite food shortages during the war years, lets just agree to disagree and put this to bed and get back to the original thread.

1 Like

With respect, Sir, it was you who brought up the war years. Modern Britain cannot be self sufficient for food. Modern Britain will survive and find new suppliers for the produce it needs and wants. That in itself is not a problem. What is a worry, however, is that those imports are likely to come at a cost and nobody has yet explained where all this new found wealth is going to come from.
In reply to the OP, I would vote for the person who will ensure that France does remain as self sufficient for food as possible (it is a completely different kettle of fish to the UK by having a much greater hectareage available for cultivation and a more varied climate) while at the same time allowing the French population to enjoy world wide ‘treats’ at affordable prices. That means staying in the EU and taking advantage of the power of the trading block and the support that it provides for agriculture and the countryside.

1 Like

Actually, my house is on the market as it is my intention to return to the Uk. BTW saying prices have risen in the UK is a spurious argument as prices have also risen in France. I notice particulary Taxe Fonciere and Taxe D’Habitation, and of course many food items have risen alarmingly. Prices may have risen in the UK but having just returned from there last week, there is far more competition among the retailers than you will ever find here.

1 Like

I brought up the war years as an extreme example, I wasn’t specifically quoted that as a prime example. You misinterpret my post I was simply trying to get the point across that Britain and England (before the union) managed for 100’s of years before signing up to the EEC. I respect your choice for choosing to stay in the EU but as I have said in earlier posts it is not the EU so much I have doubts about, its the greatly increased powers of the European parliament and courts since first joining the EEC, the original concept has greatly evolved since 1973 and in my opinion, not for the better.

2 Likes

Re the quotation ( at the bottom, for some reason) I think you must be responding to Barbara, not me.

However, with reference to rising prices, the UK is still a full member of the EU and I don’t think that the full effects of Brexit will kick in until after it is actually a fact.

It is interesting that there are already consequences when the process hasn’t even started, market volatility and industry reactivity are clearly speculation-led, for the moment.[quote=“manyana, post:243, topic:15151”]
BTW saying prices have risen in the UK is a spurious argument as prices have also risen in France. I notice particulary Taxe Fonciere and Taxe D’Habitation, and of course many food items have risen alarmingly. Prices may have risen in the UK but having just returned from there last week, there is far more competition among the retailers than you will ever find here.
[/quote]

1 Like