Something to watch out for

Seems odd! Any idea why?

You'll find that in a few days your statement will show €70., these pumps usually take about €120 as a deposit if what you COULD fill up and will be more if diesel and a lorry could use it and then takes the correct amount after a few days.

For complacent read trusting Julie.

Bonne chance! :)

I had thought about that and infact I couldn't fit more than 70€ even if the I had been completely empty. Many years ago I also worked in a bank - but it was before all this credit card business in the 70's. Also I have learned a real lesson now and I shall never get petrol without a receipt in future. Sometimes we all need a jolt to stop us from being so complacent.

Well one thing in your favour - would you be able to FIT 147 euros worth of petrol in your tank in one go? We always get receipts - I never used to bother but my wife insists on it - she used to work in a bank!

Re the other person reporting it bit - difficult to know these days isn't it?!

Regrettably I didn't get a receipt - I never do (or should I say did). It never occurred to me that someone could jump in quickly enough to continue taking petrol on my card. However, you are correct - I should report it to both my bank and Intermarche just in case there was a malfunction - although the fact that it just went up to the limit you are allowed on one transaction (an additional 70€) makes me think that either someone purposely did it as a scam or it was accident - and then whether that person would have reported it (perhaps I am being a little cynical). Either way I would not be surprised if I have to pay for my own stupidity.

Did you get a receipt? Either way you should report it, at least to your card issuer and I'd suggest also to Intermarché. It MAY have been someone jumping in behind you but it could also be a malfunction/error. I'd have thought that by the time you left the automatic pump with your card your transaction would've been completed?

We drove down to Spain through France buying fuel at a couple of self service fuel stations. In addition to the payments for fuel on my Spanish Euro denominated debit card I noticed additional unauthorised payments.

The authorised payments for the fuel were not debited from my account for a couple of days but the much larger unauthorised payments were debited immediately. They could have caused me to become overdrawn, for us to become stranded through lack of fuel or for my family to be unable to eat. Obviously I have contingencies but these are expensive to activate.

The unauthorised payments are theft.

Unfortunately there are three players: the fuel station, the card company Visa, and the bank. No doubt they will try to pass the buck.

A receipt is no help. I showed Intermarché m’y receipt and my credit card statement but got brushed off. Credit card company not interested either. 300 euros debited for 25 days i.e. till end of month. Not a massive problem on a credit card but if it’s on a debit card, it could spoil your plans. No-one is bothered to resolve this anomaly.
Use a cashier whenever possible and don’t put your card in a second time as that can trigger the problem.

Hi, this has just happened to me at a Netto - but 300€ charged for 30€ of fuel. it’s comforting to hear you got the money back - did you have to do anything to do so? Or was it simply refunded?

Usually, it’s refunded fairly quickly (a few minutes to a few hours). It happens automatically.

That sometimes happens when you use the truck pump