Speaking French

I should add that I teach privately (www.cevenneslangues.com) as well as in public school settings with school children therefore my teaching experience is in the classroom and privately online.
I come from a French teaching background but have been immersed in an anglo model for years. I weave in and out of both and I understand both quite well. I’ll be glad to try to help with questions and explain what I can.

It is an interesting topic. The reverse is also interesting (French kids who come to an anglophone country and experience French in US or English classes).
I have taught both in the US and in France and still do. One of my son’s was in a French “college” when he was 15; no it wasn’t easy, but going to school in another country often is not easy and this is an experience he never regretted. Yes, he was marked down for errors quite heavily to his surprise: this made him realise early that there was much more to what he took for granted (speaking English)than had been expected in his American school. . The focus is often different in two educational systems and so are expectations. I 've met excellent English teachers in French schools and others who were not . I also have had great teachers myself but others who were not very good both in France and the US.
You cannot expect that a child will be better than others in her/his native language when studying abroad. I see the same thing with Spanish speakers as well here in the US. I have been studying cultural differences for years; there is always more to observe.

Hi Samantha,

This is a really interesting topic and one that led me, as an ex-teacher, into setting up my own tutoring business (blackheneducation.com) for English speaking children. I started out on a one to one basis but have now moved into tutoring online as more and more parents have approached me, concerned about the quality of English teaching in French schools. Typical scenarios reported have been:

1. English children being asked to mark the work of their French peers.
  2. English children being marked down for very petty/ minor mistakes.
  3. English children often lacking confidence due to ‘mistakes’.
  4. Little creativity/ imaginative work in class.
  5. Great emphasis placed upon presentation over content.

However, the flip side of this is that many parents have also been very positive about French education saying:

1. They like the discipline/ structure of French education.
  2. The lack of peer group pressure for the latest gadget or fashion accessory compared to the UK.
  3. The lack of pressure to grow up too quickly.

Interestingly, parents upon moving to France often worry about their children learning French, but actually have begun to realise that losing their mother tongue is the concern.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you would like more information about my experiences teaching English in France.

Kind Regards,
Sue Aiten

Samantha,
I tutor kids in English here in the Loiret. I have a junior-high school girl (12 yo) in 5Ăšme and two kids in their first year of high school (3Ăšme) in 2 different schools. Also, one of the mothers is a grade school teacher and teaches English in her duties. She is very good, but she is an exception.

Overall, there is lots of memorization in school and hardly any talking. In 5Ăšme, the focus is grammar without any relation to the real world. In 3Ăšme, the kids start to get into more analytical use of English and topics that are more relevant (global warming, theater, etc.)

One huge complaint is that the quality of the English teachers varies so much. One high school girl I know, who is basically bilingual, freaks out about her professor’s accent and how poorly he speaks English.
I think that the teachers do what they can with very little budget and training.

If you’d like more information, please contact me through a PM on this forum.
Best regards

Does anyone have any children in school learning english? Does anyone have any strong views about how it’s taught?
Has anyone taught english to french children (or even english children!) or assisted in schools in France? I’m writing a feature about how english is taught and how good or bad or mixed the teaching standard is.
Would love feedback, comments, general thoughts based on personal experiences

An interesting TED talk about language learning 
should’ve started earlier! Also explains why face-to-face learning is so much better than books or TV

http://www.ted.com/talks/patricia_kuhl_the_linguistic_genius_of_babies.html

Cheers
Kate

I teach French online. It is very efficient because it is very focused. I can give you more information if you wish or meet you on Skype and talk about it. I will give lessons in the north of the Gard this summer. Mende is a nice town!
you can contact me directly at info@cevenneslangues.com

That would be great Wendy. Thanks so much. Either would be good, but one on one might be more efficient.

Hi Pati,

Would you like me to try and find something for you (no charge), I’ve already found teachers for two other SFN members? Would you prefer a class or one to one?

I’m wondering if anyone knows of a French course in Mende, or somewhere close in lozere? Thanks.

@Wendy - thanks for offering to find teacher - am v. interested. Will PM you on this topic. Rgds, Lesley

A6%20flyers.doc

Hi All! Would someone be so kind as to check the French on this flyer for me? Many thanks. Hilary

Hi Lesley,

Would you like me to try and find something for you (no charge), I’ve already found teachers for two other SFN members? Would you prefer a class or one to one?

Chers amis: Je me demande s’il y a des cours de français dans la rĂ©gion nord Charente? Ou peut-etre un groupe d’amis qui se rencontrent pour bavarder. J’ai fait des Ă©tudes Ă  l’uni Ă  Lausanne en Suisse en 1970, suivi 40 ans plus tard avec une annĂ©e d’Open Uni mais presque rien entre les deux. Surtout j’ai besoin d’amĂ©liorer mes talents de conversation qui sont un peu rouillĂ©s. Merci en avance pour vos idĂ©es.

A6%20flyers.doc

Hi All! Would someone be so kind as to check the French on this flyer for me? Many thanks. Hilary

Thank you Josette xx

Here you are James:

Tarifs dégressifs en fonction de la quantité

How would you say, 'quantity discount applies to this estimate' please?

Thanks

James

Hi Pati, oooops! Pati
Pati
Pati!!! Sorry about that!! I guess you could say ‘dĂ©solĂ©e, mon français n’est pas bon’, but apologising for being American seems a little far fetched :slight_smile: I await further clarification from our lovely topic hosts.