Still Trying to Register!

No. I submiited a French Tax Return and got a Numero Fiscal - not the same thing. Think about at your tax office reference number and your National Insurance number - separate items.

Hi Sheila,

I have a birth cert, marriage cert, divorce decree and some other bumpf to translate. I used to live in the Netherlands and when I sent my stuff off to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office back then to gain a residency, they lost all the originals so I had to have an Affidavit of sorts from a solicitor with copies appended etc. It all gets very complicated. But I was told back then that they do not issue birth certs anymore only copies hence the problem.

I got a quote for around €400 for translations. However, I am not sure what to do. Brian on here (ADMIN) showed me plenty of proof that translations are not required under EU law. An expat friend who has been here for 22 years told me to take my docs to my local Mairie, get them to photocopy them and authenticate them and just send them off as is along with a polite letter stating the laws (outlined by Brian) and hope for the best!

Right. I'll try that.

In the morning.

At least you got some tips on cheaper translations from this thread!

Pretty much the same here. I got translations of two birth certificates by an official translator approved by the French Consulate in Edinburgh.

She provided multiple certified copies (not photocopies but certified by her).

The cost was £50 from memory.

Yes you can Karen. I cannot remember now if you put 00000 or something. watch this video.

register as an AE online

Although it states that it has been replaced and is out of date, the form layout on the site has changed but the info required is the same and she walks you through everything. She tells you what to put if you dont have a SSN.

I did not have an SSN when I registered. Now I have a provisional one. You don't have to worry what setup you have to register with. Just register online, enter your profession and when they process the application, they send it off to the relevant body who then contact you.

Hang on. When you say you were registered in France before you became an AE, doesn't that mean you already had your SS number when you registered as an AE?

Yes. I didn't have one before as I wasn't registered under any regime. If you do a search for the online form I mentioned - the full reference on mine as well as the P0 (zero) part is No.12821*1. There is a part of the form that asks for an SS number but if you don't have one you need to put in a null field: 0000000000000 00

The RSI become involved AFTER you register as an AE. There is no point in ging to them first.

Oh and as far as registering as a taxpayer is concerned you HAVE to register if you are resident in France regardless of whether you are employed or self-employed. I was submitting French tax returns for some time before registering as an AE.

Don't confuse the SS number with your Numero Fiscal which is used for Income Tax as well as Taxe d'Habitation and Taxe Fonciere.

Your best plan might be to find an English speaking accountant - Expert Comptable. I did that within days of arriving in France and he has been immensely helpful in steering me through the bureaucratic maze.

Hi again. Sarah Wafflard's page is here: http://www.survivefrance.com/profile/SarahWafflardWalker

There you will find a link to her website. I can highly recommend her, so hope she's still in business!

You can't, Sheila, the page won't move on until you have put the SS number in.

Somebody else popped up before (in fact now Sarah has found the thread I'll go and look again) saying they had the same problem as me and had to go to their local Chamber of Commerce ('local' means different things to different people!) But then after I couldn't find the post to double check. I'll go look again.

You can register to be an AE through the official site which Sarah has given above, i.e., www.lautoentrepreneur.fr You won't have a social security number but will be assigned one once you complete the online registration. Your home page doesn't give your nationality, but assuming you are a citizen of one of the EU member states, you shouldn't have a problem. Once you register, everything will flow from that including issue of your social security number and your Carte Vitale. You may well be asked by RSI to send them copies of your translated birth certificates, marriage certificate, etc. and I have given some information here in reply to Sarah as to how to get that done. In theory, they should not ask for translations, but I gave up arguing and sent them, just to get the ball rolling and get into the system. I registered my husband as my ayant droit, so only I pay taxes, so just be careful on that one. He is therefore on my Carte Vitale.

Yes, it was me before - I'm glad you found it, I couldn't.
I can't register with that site either without an SS number.
If you remember before I was online filling in forms for a couple of days but I couldn't get to the end on any of them.

To add to the comments by Sheila, I think we have another Sarah (or maybe she got married) registered here that does translations.

€400 for translations??? What are you getting translated? "War and Peace"? There are, I believe, a number of translators listed in the Useful Links section - top left on this page. I paid about €35 or €40 per certificate for 2 birth certificates and a marriage certificate to a Traductrice Assermenté. Her name is Sarah Wafflard and she is a member here on SFN. However, that was nearly three years ago and her rates may well have gone up since then.

I know for certain that if you are an employee then you register with CPAM and the whole thing is easy peezy. But you can't register with CPAM if you are an AE.

And don't even bother asking the RSI until you are registered - then just won't deal with it who send you to La Ram and then back to RSI.

I can't be registered as a taxpayer until I can get on with an SS number or as an AE.

Ricky - just had a look at the form Declaration de Debut d'Activite in PDF format on the lautoentrepreneur site and it has a section for your No securite Sociale. I haven't got one.

Did you get your SS number after registering as an AE?

I've been on the AE website before and tried to register (I don't know if we are talking about the same one) and it wouldn't let me because I didn't have an SS number....

We actually went through all of it on the forum here - but I can't find the thread.

Gary - don't ask me - I can't register for anything!!!

Yup Ricky is right. As far as I am aware, you either get a job with an employer and they will send off the necessary forms and sort out the SSN for you or you register as an AE. But even then choosing the second option, you get allocated a provisional SSN until you provide necessary documents. They clamped down in 2012 and made it harder for foreigners to simply 'get into' the French social system. It won't be as easy as you think it is. You have to prove in some way that you are contributing and therefore eligible.

I am stuck at present with a provisional SSN and I need monthly medication for ongoing cancer treatments and I have 2 kids. If either of us need medical care urgently at present, I really don't know what will happen. I am an AE, about to pay my first contribution but unless I find €400 for translation costs for documents, my entitlement will be suspended. I am afraid you will need to go the same route. There is no easy option any more. It used to be (until 2012) that simply registering as an AE got you the Carte Vitale and other entitlements but not anymore!!

Your provisional SSN should be on any docs sent to you by RSI or similar. I once found a posting by someone saying they had got their SSN number from RAM-GAMEX. Technically, so long as you have been in officially registered as a taxpayer for 3 months, you should be entitled to everything the French are entitled to but it is never as easy as that is it??

Actually just re-reading your post. Have you been here register as AE

This is where you register and if you have difficulty sussing it out google registering as an auto entrepreneur youtube. There is a video by Valerie who has a website that is very helpful for pretty much everything for a yearly subscription. (The video is free though). It will walk you through the signup process if your French is not fluent. I signup online. Took about 25 mins. Got my gumpf through the post and do my declarations online. Just make sure you choose fairly local companies for Mutuelle etc in case you have to go there with problems.

Does this help?

Hmmm…I reckon I’m with URSAAF, have been registered as auto since Sept 2013 with no sign of a recognizable SS number and no carte vitale. Have paid all ss and taxes. What am I doing wrong?

You wont get an SS number until you register as an AE. Registering as an AE is the first step using form P0- Declaration de Debut d'Activite.

The details can be filled in online at the autoentrepreneur website and you should receive an email acknowledgement. You need to have worked out what activities you'll be engaged in before completing te form.

Once the form goes in, RSI should then contact you requesting details of birth certificate, ID etc. You need to have an official translation of your UK birth certificate to submit along with the original which will be returned if you include an SAE.

RSI should also send other stuff relating to nomination of your GP (medecin traitant).

Can't help with Chambr of Commerce stuff as my activity thus far means I don't need to register on that front. Your local Mairie might be able to help, (or advise) though.

Hope this helps.