Stove top fans, why you need one!

I have an extrememly limited number of pics of OH and I on the computer that people have sent, bad quality (as neither of us likes having pics taken!) and OH has forbidden me to try to upload our shared image, and I have none of little ole' me on my own (or with pets, I'm not fussy). We also have no means to take and upload one, being very techo-phobe generally (generational thing!)

If it's any help just remove the dark glasses off Vic below, give him less hair and a more trimmed beard, more salt-and-pepper to both, and you'd be looking at me, says OH.....Frankly I think I'm far more like Sean Connery 20 years ago :-)

David - just go to "settings' on your page and follow the instructions. It is very simple really! x

I wish I knew how to post a pic, and can't help with either requests! Our poele is the Villager heritage model with the canopy option, which is the problem, as it allows no room to site the fan succesfully on it. We've considered trying to hang it up nearby, etc, but it would need the under heat to turn the 4 blades....back to the drawing board!

The trouble with why we reluctantly sold the fan is we literally only have about an inch of space from the top of the canopy to the large round pipe, so there was no way to balance it...still trying to find an alternative!

Yes I realised that after I said it Vic, so even if you bolted a magnet to it the safety thing would be compromised. Daft suggestion, just ignore it!

I've temporarily moved the fan from the front room to test it and upstairs does seem a degree or two warmer. I understand what you mean Doreen. The heat is already rising to a certain extent but seems to stop when it reaches the landing. Literally you walk from a warm spot into the cold. The fan seems able to push it a little further onto the landing so it might be worth investing in a second fan I think? Obviously when the temperature plummets we'll be back to the good old paraffin heater to take the chill off but, at between €30 - €50 a bottle depending on demand, the more benefit from the fan the better. Another one could pay for itself quite quickly.

Doreen- it seems to propel the heat right over the room towards the staircase which rises opposite so our layout seems to benefit from it. The stair is about 4.5 metres from the WB. There may well be draughts within the room but we don't really use it as a sitting space other than as a sort of reception hall. There is however a dining table right in the middle and when we had lunch there the other day with a guest it was pretty HOT! It's a good space to have as we are right in the middle of our village and we have many callers often unannounced and we can have a chat there, maybe with a glass as is the custom, without admitting them into the sanctum sanctorum.

Valerie- that's almost exactly what we have. As you come into the house through a very small draught lobby you enter a room we call Le Petit Salon which is central in the house and off which rises a winding timber staircase which terminates at roof level after two more floors. The bedrooms are at first floor level are not heated at all. The Valiant sits on a wood burner in the Petit Salon, and that room only has intermittent use. The wood burner plus the Valiant are at present sufficient for most of the house but we haven't really hit the worst weather yet. It's an old, draughty house with stone walls a minimum 600 thick with no insulation save a bedroom ceiling level. Thus far we are warmer than pre Valiant, in fact still in sleeveless gilet!

Could you have stuck it on with a magnet David?

Question: I've now got a second hand cuisiniere (€130 - bargain methought) which is sited in the hallway (sounds odd but that's where the existing kitchen was and there's already a small chimney with flue liner). It's at the bottom of the stairs. Would I benefit from a stove top fan on there? Presumably it would work as it obviously gets to a good temperature. I'm wondering if it would help push warm up up the stairs as there's no heating on the first floor.

I ordered a stove fan, 4 blade, from Amazon UK at a very reasonable price, and then found I couldn't use it as we have the additional top on our Villager stove, so no room to site it where suggested. I put it straight away on a classifieds site and sold within hours for my costs, and could have sold it 5 times over..

I asked for feedback from the new owner, and am chuffed to say he is very pleased with it, it has increased the heat in a workroom by 7 degrees measured 8' away from the poele....Now all I want to do is figure where I can get one that will work sat atop a bare 2" of space by the flue!

Pick up a Valiant stove fan for just 69 euros from David Evans who is selling a brand new one here in the comments on the 'Disclosure' post.

Yes, that was news to me too about creosote! Glad you like it. The silent running is very impressive too, nicely engineered.

Oh, forgot to add, it, s silent. Plus we bought the stove thermometer, very interesting as when I thought wood burner was just burning nicely and slowly, apparently it, s forming creosote :(

James, it, s arrived and in action. Our lounge is definately warmer !!! Have taken a pboto but as it, s evening it, s not clear, so will take another in the morning. I am surprised as to how much warmer it is. In our lounge, at other end to wood burner, there are the stairs leading to the upstairs, well, heat has definately moved upwardly as the first bedroom is warmer than usual.I am in my dressing gown and baking..no blanket on the sofa tonight lol. Thankyou very much James for letting us know about this :)

In case anyone was in two minds about purchasing one I have made a 10 second video of it in action! It's not Scorcese but you'll get the idea! It's just above :)

Great stuff Jane, I'm sure you'll love it! Looking forward to seeing the photo too :)

Hi James, it arrived this morning but we were out so will pick it up tomorrow. Really excited to try it out. Will light stove tomorrow eve and post photo and let you know what we think.

Thanks Jane, did it arrive yet?

Had one for about year, good bits of kit, room gets blooming hot though, bought it Amaazon…