Tax d'habitation

I think it is very much at the local authority’s discretion (unless things have changed recently). Dyfed in Wales used to give no reductions at all on second homes, and I think Gwynedd used to surcharge holiday homes. I guess it depends very much on the local economics and whether they want to encourage or discourage second-home owners in their authority.

Hi folks…(just a flying forum visit)…

We are talking Holiday Home in France… and whether Resident in France … or not… Taxe d’Hab has to be paid . According to the Gov.fr site… one of the first questions: Is this your Main Home… if the answer is yes, move on down the page… if NOT… pay-up … and that goes for everyone one of us … so in no way punitive…honestly.

However, if your holiday home is uninhabitable… well, that is a loophole you can work on… but then, who comes on holiday to a holiday home that is uninhabitable…:astonished:

Just to add - there are also certain communes in France that have imposed a surcharge on tdh for holiday homes, out-of-date list here but it will give you an idea - it’s basically places that have become so popular with holiday home owners that there is a lack of housing for the locals as a consequence

I know it’s not France but you’d be laughed out of Cornwall if you asked for a reduction on a second home there. Second homes there have pushed the housing market well beyond the reach of so many local people.

Second homes/holiday homes are not cheap to run…Fonciere, Habitation… plus Water & Electricity standing charges (at the very least)…these all add up… and when set against a short stay… it may seem an extortionate expense.

Some families share the costs between them… maybe good friends can come to an amicable arrangement… but, in the long run…a decision may need to be made about just how much the HH is really wanted…and does the enjoyment outweigh the expense… :wink:

Re: Cornwall & Gwynedd not offering discounts - well, it is indeed at the council’s discretion and I can see that both would loose out a lot if they charged 2nd home owners less.

I wasn’t aware of communes charging more - I don’t think we are but will check. Not that I would be able to do anything about it.

Yes, I reckon that we spend £3.5 - 4k per annum on TF, Td’H, utility bills and travel.

Mind you the neighbours spent £5k on their summer family holiday last year so I think our place in Brittany is good value for money, if not as glamorous as Abu Dhabi

Paul…

I’m glad you are happy with your choice of how you spend your money…:grinning: the neighbours… well, they do not get to enjoy Britany :disappointed:

I’m waiting for Carolyn to reply to my question about any possible major increases in her Taxes… because that sort of thing can come as a shock :wink:

Richmondshire council don’t give a discount on my house anymore. The first month it is empty there is no council tax (used to be six months) and after that, it’s the full charge, without even the single person discount.

In France, you pay full tax d’habitation if you are a holiday home owner. Only residents get an income based discount, so much the same as the UK. This will only apply in the first year that you are resident as of 1st January as they use your income declared the previous year to calculate the current year’s bill.

If the house has furniture in it then the tax is payable in full. If it had no furniture in it then you should have had an attestation from the mayor to that effect, in which case you can claim exoneration from tax d’habitation.

I guess one way for councils to increase council tax intake without increasing council tax rates (as much) is to decide not to award discretionary discounts :frowning:

That’s true of course. But also, second home owners have become a controversial subject in some areas where the permanent residents have started feeling outnumbered and aren’t happy that they’re the ones who support their town or village all year round, get involved in local issues and find solutions and make it an attractive place to be, for the second home owners to move in and enjoy all the benefits for the odd month here and there. Too many second homes standing unoccupied half the year makes it difficult for local shops and business to survive year round (and then the bread shop and the butchers close, and the second home owners shake their heads sadly and say what a shame it is that the village seems to be dying). Hence the surcharges in some places, as a disincentive.

1 Like

Ours too is a maison secondaire in a small hamlet that has a handful of permanent residents as well as other second home owners from other parts of France as well as the UK. Each time we arrive we are welcomed with open arms and resume our part in the community for the few months we are there.

Personally we have no grouse about paying Taxe d’Habitation in full. We knew it was the case when we bought the property 11 years ago. We like to feel the taxes we pay there may help to support the commune, its school, its community facilities, its environment.

The fact that we take far less from the services than if we were permanent residents means there’s more left for those who need it.

2 Likes