Tax Foncieres Increase

Hello Stella. Thank you for your reply. I received the letter from the Centre des Finances Publiques in Pezenas. I have written to them about it but no reply as yet. I am in England at the moment but when I get back to Marseillan I shall go to the Mairie and see if I talk to someone about it (If i haven’t received a reply to my letter before then). Keith

Hi again Stella. Forgot to add that I did have a small roof terrace put on my house a couple of years ago but I wouldn’t have thought this would warrant such a huge increase in the TF. Keith.

Hi Keith… it is just possible that the “improvement” rang a bell somewhere in the system… and your property was re-evaluated… rather than just having a small amendment.

This does sometimes happen with properties which have never been revalued… or remained at the same “value” for many years…
something gets changed and all hell is let loose :dizzy_face:

Definitely worth asking the question… and, if necessary, arguing (politely)

Hi Stella, I received a reply from the authorities today. Not meaning to bite you with the details, it seems my house had been under-assessed for TF under the last owner who obviously hadn’t declared improvements he had made before we bought it. When I had my roof terrace done, I made sure I got permission for it first but that then meant I had to submit a form about the house after the work had been done, including some of the previous owners improvements which I thought had already been declared. You wound have thought the authorities would give people concessions for improving old houses rather than penalising them, otherwise they’d all be left to become delapidated. Hey-ho, c’est la vie. Thanks for listening and best wishes to you. Keith :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh Keith… you are not the first person to be caught like that. Rotten luck.

Previous owners who do not declare… then new owners honestly reporting and subsequently getting lumbered… happens more often than you might think. :anguished:

A friend of mine has been re-assessed and now has great difficulty in paying the increase, what is the source of help for those on low incomes (apart from the Mairie)

I’m wondering if your friend could talk with whichever Finance Dept/Office issued the bill… to discuss ways of paying… and perhaps find out how/if help might be available.

just a thought… you have said “apart from the Mairie”… but often there are pamphlets which can be discretely taken… from the Mairie reception areas…with no need to let anyone know…

Reductions for low incomes are applied automatically by the tax office.

The good news is that Macron still seems to be intending to abolish taxe d’habitation for all households on a low to average income, so that being the case then unless your friend is on a fairly high income,he won’t have to worry about it after this year.

Thank you for your thoughts, I will pass them on

Incidentally… I think that it is Taxe d’Habitation which is automatically reduced/zeroed, depending on income levels on the Impots sur la Revenue…

With Taxe Foncière it is up to the Proprietor to instigate things.