The Hive

ohh, I'm all excited, it's starting to sound quite an "everyone wins" situation here tonight.

Hi Alan - Thanks for the offer of help. It's just outside St Clar 32380 - about 40 mins east of Condom. Where are you? The nest is between the window and shutters so very easy to get at.....

lol @ condom. then again, it's no worse than Bitche.

Many thanks Zoe. I will do as you suggest. There are one or two people around who sell colonies, but no one at present.

Kate, is this St Clar near Condom? Yes, for the uninitiated there is such a place. I am 1hr.23 min from there and would be happy to remove the nest if easily to get at.

One person asked me to get a nest out of a wall, but it would have meant taking half the wall down.

Welcome, Alan, I'm not in your area, but if you add yourself to this list, you can maybe get a few swarms, the season is only starting, and if it's anything like last year, you'll have filled your boxes in no time.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/wildlife-in-france/collection-of-bee-swarms-in-france-english-speaking.html

I'm in haute Savoie, so it would be pointless saying i'd give you a swarm. Have you looked up keepers in your area? Try the markeds for honey/nougat sellers, they can usually point you in the direction of someone selling nucs, and warré

Also, be sure to ask about payment before agreeing to have them... I wouldn't charge, no do most keepers... but there are certain folks that do.

it's better to know in advance than have thme do the work, and then put their hand out for money. Most keepers are happy to do it if they are offered the apero afterwards, especially on a hot day!!

I'd travel one hour to remove a colony, if I was going to have a nice fresh beer once the removal was done, lol.

This guy might be further, but at least he seems like he might speak English, if your friends struggle with French. Dave Morris. Between Caylus and Parisot (82160) Tarn et Garonne. Collection resonable distance. Tel. 05 63 27 77 93

There might be "apiculteurs" listed in your local yellow, or white pages... or findable on google... they're going to use one or the other to find an exterminator in any case... it's worth a look. Usually keepers know other keepser in the area, so one of these guys might have a closer solution, or be willing to come do the cut-out.

Let us know how it goes.

Many thanks for the contact details - he is over an hour from us, but we'll see if he can help... if anyone else knows someone in the north of the Gers 32 or south of the 82 or south 47, north 31 please let us know.

Cheers

ah, Kent, I remember that. was so happy the day you posted the update, to hear the bees were boxed, and being taken to a new home.

I'll just nip out and have a word with them and point them in the right direction, Brian - but on your head bee it ;-)

All very well you people, but would some of you persuade a few swarms to head this way! ;-)

Sounds like exactly what happened to my friend last year when he arrived to a closed house after 3 months - but, thanks to friends on "The Hive" and M. Basset, a Dinan beekeeper, both my friend and the bees found a happy result.

So here's hoping for the same for your friends and their squatters, Kate.

Christian Gaze. Lavalette 32230 Blousson serian Tel 05 62 08 26 10 Port 06 19 64 21 33

Not sure how far he is, but should be able to give the name of someone closer. At least he is in the 32

Hello

My friends live near St Clar in the Gers (32380) & have a bees nest in between the shutters and window. They don't want to call in an exterminator but they are becoming a problem now since the weather is warming up and they want to start work on the building. Can anyone suggest someone who can give them a new home? They will be back in France in June & July and need to sort this asap - we may be able to get access before then if someone can help sooner.....

Here's hoping we can save these bees....

Kate, welcome.. where are you, hopefully we can find someone not far who can come, and do a cut-out.

ENORME, thanks Kent, that made my evening

A nice clip sent from a friend in America:

http://billmoyers.com/segment/“dance-of-the-honey-bee”/

yep, fingers crossed, and analysis will let us know more, but for the moment, we are trying to be realistic, rather than a "she'll be grand" sort of approach.

Here's hoping Zoe, with a bit of luck you still have clusters hanging on where all appears to be gone. I had that several times in England and they got back on their feet quickly.

Glad to hear it, Brian... we had someone go check on the hives in the Var, and.... many have died. Not sure how many yet, but out of seventy hives, we will be glad to have 20 still alive. This year was important for us to do splits, to build up the business, but, it might be a "learning" year....

ooops.

delighted to hear all is going well in your hives, you seem to have very resilient girls!!. I would say to send them hugs from me, but that might pique!