The Hive

Well, jill, here is a list of keepers in France that are listed as swarm collectors. Generally swarm collectors are happy to help anyone out whenever they can. You might find someone in your area here... "http://www.planetepassion.eu/WILDLIFE-IN-FRANCE/Collection-of-bee-swarms-in-France-English-speaking.html"

Thanks Zoe. It is a little far for me but thank you for thinking of me.

The only other thing I know "over that side" of France is the apimagazin in saint Gervais les 3 clochers... I think that is a bit of a long haul for you from Cahors, though....

I'm friends on facebook with a Nicki Penaluna. She lives in Chalais, in the poitou charentes. That might be a bit far from you, Jill.. but the closest I know. I know Nicki is a member of this site, but doesn't seem to come here often. If you don't think that's too far to travel, let me know, and I can ask her if she's got a bit of spare time to see if she can help you out.

Jill, I suggest you click on the members' pictures and look at where they live on their profiles. I think it is a bit short notice but perhaps, just perhaps...

Is there anyone near Cahors in the group? I am looking to borrow or buy some things for a Bee talk/demo on Sunday. If anyone can help with anything bee-like I would be extremely grateful. Thanks for reading. X

hey, Brian, well, wifey works with a beekeeper here in the 74 who has about 800 hives. Last year they collected 13 barrels of accacia honey. This year, they got 4. Last year, on our royal jelly hives, we had them in chestnut, and got about 14 full supers of honey, this year, we got frames here and there, and took most of the supers off. (50/50 dadant/langstroth). Funny, isn't it, as it was a super year for swarms, splits, starters, and general brood growth.

The hives are all heading to the Lavender pretty soon, by the looks of things here, I'll let you know when the harvest comes up, but for honey, this year has been ... a let-down. for Jelly, it was ok, though. 17 kilos, from 12 hives

Hija all. I have just been out in the rain hoping to do a bit of harvesting. I open two hives and have NO honey to collect. I have always been in the habit of keeping one super for the colony above the brood box, letting them build up a good winter reserve. But they don't even look that well filled in either hive. The colonies are always to be seen in more or less clouds, we have no varroa problem, hardly any frelon asiatique. The brood box is chockablock as it should be and the winter supply super is busy.

Is it just the strange summer we had or is there something else I don't know about. I have never had a year like this before. I naturally looked in my most productive hive and another quickly after and the same situation. I was wanting to build up next year but on this form I can't see the point of buying more hives. Anybody got similar to report?

I too, collecting swarms is a delight to do and see. Some are just so passive because they are busy establishing themselves that you can stand and watch them for hours and they'll do nothing that will harm you. The hair thing still phases me, I'll admit, and I have had a few stings on my head and they really hurt. Curious dogs have rushed off whelping too, but all part of the game and really good for rheumatism and other ailments of that kind that get us as we 'mature'.

thanks for the update Kent, delighted the bees are re-homed. i bet it was quite interesting, I can't help but be in awe even when I collect them myself.

Will add though, bees bodies are full of tiny hooks, for collecting pollen, unlike a wasp's waxy body. Once a bee gets in your hair, she has a really tough time getting out. The piping, or higher pitched buzzing sound tends to make us panic.

Thanks again for the update, great news!

Hi Zoe, Brian & all. Mr Basset came and hounded the bees out of John's bedroom and into a hive he brought with him. It was fascinating to watch - from a distance. Shuko got one trapped in her long hair and freaked out; I think the poor thing was only trying to fight its way out of the jungle.

He's left his hive in the middle of the yard fro them to get used to it, I guess, then he'll pick it up on Saturday.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work helping the bees recover - and getting some nice honey into the bargain, of course.

yes, I'll be following too. If it is black bees as you kind of said when you said the dark kind Kent, I had an anxiety thing given how rare they are in some areas (just reappearing here, I've only seen a couple). Hope to hear a happy ending.

There is a Basset in the next village, very French to the point he has a little black beret. So, guess the name wandered over the Channel with a Norman or somebody of that ilk.

The "Landes" thing is a muck up on my part, Kent, have another swarm in that area needs collecting, and have been mixing up the two, lol.

Hopefully your Mr Basset can do the job, but failing that, try Jean Francois, he is a Franco-American, or thereabouts. Fluent in both languages.

Let us know how it goes, it's quite interesting to watch, actually.

Hi Zoe, thanks for your help. I've rung a man on the list of the link you sent me and we're supposed to be meeting up tomorrow. His name's Charles BASSET, which sounds English enough, but it seems he's French and french speaking; not really a prob for me but my friend with rogue hive hasn't got his french together yet, (he's ½ Greek with a Japanese partner) so I'll try and go along. Should be interesting anyway.

Couldn't find a "Landes" anywhere near Plouasne in 22.

Thanks again. It will be good if he can save the swarm and re-locate it.

Kent, Have you had any luck? I was talking with a keeper this morning who often visits Landes, and might help you, his number is

• 06 30 40 55 80

His name, Jean-Francois Lariviere. He is not based in Landes, but has quite a big business, dealing mainly in propolis. He might very well collect the swarm.

Brian, they are always cranky at harvest time. They feel like you're stealing their winter provisions. (well, we sort of ARE)

Kent, someone passed this page on to me. These are all English speakers, and if you go through the list, there are a few in the 22.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/WILDLIFE-IN-FRANCE/Collection-of-bee-swarms-in-France-English-speaking.html

Mine are still crotchety for some unknown reason. When I had a super away to harvest because we were out indoors I got the one way thingy (forgotten the English name!) in place OK, so not a been in the super at all. When I had the roof off they went for me, when I had the super away the all hell broke loose. I was covered, the super was full and covered and I was hopping about because I got a whole load of stings through my overall into one calf. It took me 40 minutes to get clear, get the super emptied out and take flight into our cellar where they simply will not go for some reason (good!). Even quarter of an hour later there were some waiting at the door but too few to worry. Something about this year. Had two queenless hives this year too that have had workers keep going until they dwindled to nothing. Not much taken from either.

On another note, pretty horrid day at the apiary yesterday. One queenless hive with laying worker, two hives we were about to split had beaten us to it, and swarmed... again high into the trees...two hives with supercedure virgin queens (but not royal jelly selected queens, and so have to be replaced. We also have one queen stopped laying, and it must've been sudden, they can't even supercede, no eggs or larvae to play with, only a queen strolling around with no laying getting done. Needless to say, we had to kill her.

the royal jelly harvest wasn't great either, and the honey was coming to an end. chestnut. I welcome the end of chestnut, because it is like crack cocaine to the bees.

I'm a bit far too, but have just put the word out to three French keepers on facebook to see if someone picks up the call. Try the Mairie, they usually have designated swarm collectors for most areas, that will come and take them. Otherwise, a look through a phonebook,or visit to a market honey stall will get you a beekeeper who will be happy to take them on. I'd jump at the chance, only I'm a bit far, in the 74.I'll get back to you if any of my keepers can come up with someone in your area.