The Laughing Stock of Europe

There’s confrontational as in ‘amusing lively thought provoking and open to debate’ on the one hand though, and confrontational as in ‘dogmatic narrow-minded humourless tosser’ on the other, just saying.

3 Likes

What did I say about losing the debate ? When people lose they always end up attacking the person and not the debate.

Read the thread again. How many times have you done that ? I count three.

Just saying.

1 Like

I disagree, pissing contests dissuade lurkers and new members from engaging which is unhealthy for the development of the community.

4 Likes

No Mark, it isn’t all about you. I cannot resist teasing and debate but even though I try as much as possible to keep it to the first category mentioned above I am aware that I may fall into the second and become a dead bore. As anyone can. (And here, were I to go in for argumentum ad hominem, I could have said " and you frequently do" but NO, because oooooops there we go into the bore-zone again)

I may very appear abrasive obtuse etc etc and my jokes frequently fall flat, probably because they aren’t very good. Ad hominem argumentation is just a dead loss though. The whole point of debate of any consistency is that it be factual, informed, reactive and an exchange not just reiteration.

True, but there is fine line.

The trouble is that you may end up with a handful of hardline members who believe that everything they write is true.

Sometimes they need to be challenged. They don’t like that.

You have undoubtedly the best French forum (in terms of software) but you need more French related threads. The biggest turn off on forums at the moment is Brexit, EU, and all the rest of it.

1 Like

I disagree - I think the biggest turn off on forums is anyone who hijacks discussions and diverts away from the topic being discussed. I dont really get why so many folks take your bait - it’s a bit like magnetic fishing, a bite every time aka boring. In any case, you’ll see that the discussions around Brexit, EU and the rest of it are some of the most popular.

FORUM : noun

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

You’ll note the phrase ‘particular issue’ - well my view would be that this particular issue seems to scare you Mark.

3 Likes

Well get on with it then - since you joined under your current guise in March, you’ve managed to post only 2 discussions. Practice what your preach (I think!!!).

Perhaps they do Mark, but so far you haven’t…

There must be a Brexit forum where such a question can be posted ?

I just cross referenced your thread with the situation in France which half answers your question if you think about it.

Some have resorted to insults so I guess I have !

As you do frequently yourself. Pots and kettles.

1 Like

And people who argue for the sake of arguing in an attempt to prolong the thread to the detriment of its content.

2 Likes

The ‘laughing stock of Europe’ is a credible thread ?

Anyway, I debated the question. Did you ?

:unamused:

Mark, this is an online forum not a debating society. I responded to the thread as I thought fit. For some reason you insist that your view of France is the only view when clearly it is not. I know there is no point really in responding, debating or replying to you as you play the game by your own destructive rules and how many times has pushing that bit too far and being unreasonable got you banned from forums so far? If this was a debating competition you would not be going home with any silverware!

One forum David. I am active member on all the rest.

On the more ‘international’ forum there are many there who live in reality and not in a bubble. Some make me look mainstream :confused:

The point that you have missed in the debate is, ‘is France the laughing stock of Europe’ ? ‘Is Germany the laughing stock of Europe’ ? Why are we picking on the UK ? Every country has their problems…France more than most.

1 Like

Did you actually read the article posted? Are you aware of the current political situation in the UK? Yet again you stick to your tiny little opinions and don’t actually look at the real picture. This thread was in response to a Swiss newspaper report that asked the question. If you wanted a one word answer, perhaps you need a simple response, then, “Yes”, I agree with the article and believe that Britain is, at this moment considered the laughing stock of Europe. The situation in France with its new and different political setup linked to its superior efficiency could mean that big changes are about to happen. That is a different thread completely however and if you start that one you will have the chance to state, yet again, your individual point of view and be prepared to reply to those other posters who will, in my opinion quite rightly, disagree with you.

Der Bund seems to think so! So do I for that matter - I care about how my country of birth is perceived on the World stage. So slap my arse and call me Donald - whether you think it’s credible or not is frankly irrelevant.

Yes, it has been posted elsewhere as well.

Who is laughing at them apart from the Swiss press ?[quote=“Aquitaine, post:96, topic:16618”]
The situation in France with its new and different political setup linked to its superior efficiency could mean that big changes are about to happen
[/quote]

If MLP got in (which she nearly did to be fair) would France be a laughing stock ?[quote=“anon88888878, post:97, topic:16618”]
I care about how my country of birth is perceived on the World stage
[/quote]

So do I and my half frog kids who can’t wait to go to the UK next week for their third time in ten years.

I made them watch the One love Manchester concert. They were very proud.

I personally don’t think the UK is a laughing stock which is the point I am hammering out.

1 Like

Forgive me…have you started, or are you about to?

As I’ve just said on another discussion you’re part of…

You know what Mark? I’m on the cusp - I don’t know whether to invite you over for a long lunch or call 112!

Simon, I would drink you under the table and then I would have to call you 112. :wink:

1 Like