What is wrong with French shops?

Oops! Sorry about the divergence to Cookery Corner ;-) But many of us have been hunting for cheese to use to things like cheesecake for aeons, so once the subject got going, we opportunists (being mere females and all) pricked up our collective ears. Hope that our research here will make a few men happier and more ZAT!!!

Thanks for the info on St Moret. I am definitely going to try it. When doing some shopping in Spain, I found Philly cheese there, but some rather strangely flavoured variant I have never seen before, not even in the US of A. And Richard: I would never DREAM of doing a shopping dash in the UK. And what are these white van things you mention? I'd far rather pop over to Italy or to Spain. And if I were feeling really, really profligate, I'd do a shopping trip to Dubai. Men don't understand that for women shopping is just as much fun as a romp between the sheets. And like any romp between the sheets, we must be spoiled and pampered and appreciated. And thus endeth the sermon lol

like!

well we have both enjoyed good customer services...my personal comments were not particularly aimed at supermarkets...though I do miss the offer to pack my bag (which happened once in France...in St Pardoux Lidl!!!!!)....its aimed at the faceless organisations like FT, banks etc...and MPs...who never, ever, ever reply to comments....I have no problem with the staff in local shops...

@Carol. Funny but this morning I went to the local negociants massive retail outlet and had a chat with the charming young female assistant about raspberry vinegar then we bemoaned the fact that when someone else is on the phone it interferes with processing card payments. In between attempts to process my purchase she served two old guys with their five litres of gros rouge from the "petrol pump" again apologising the while. The guilty party finally emerged from the office and apologised wishing me a cheery "bon continuation.He then insisted on returning the caddy (clearly purloined at some stage from Intermarché) On to the supermarket where spray starch was evenually found with the help of one of the staff filling up the gardening sundries and wished a very good day by the lady on the checkout.Useless customer service I'm sure you'll agree.

Why doesn't that make me feel better, lol?

Growing older is compulsory yes --- but as a consoling thought --- don't worry about old age. It doesn't usually last very long.

would have said yes...but just bought some at Waitrose...actually cheaper than the Lidl ones...not sure they are as good though..will let you know after tomorrow nights supper party!

Wonder if it's import charges/taxes and if there are any food regs affecting the steaks. Want me to post you some, lol?

shopped in Lidl in Newbury today....some stuff the same but interestingly more expensive here...!!! the wines of course more expensive and the beer...(not sure why that is)....and the wonderful American Steaks dont feature here at all!!!!

I knew I could rely on you, Carol - have duly written down and will raid tomorrow. Should keep the Irish Mammy and Staff Sister (or whatever bloomin title she has now) happy. Plus beer for the stepdad. Sorted.

thought it was pretty bang on considering...

Go to Lidl and buy Limoux if you like champagne...it was the original wine made by the methode champenoise and is fab...about 3.90 euros a bottle..either Limoux Cremant or Blanquette....I will drink wine..but like good wine....had some wonderful Pouilly Fume last week that friends bought from Super U.....the litre bottles of Pils in Lidl for under 4 euros for 6 bottles is excellent..noticed in the UK it 5.99 quid for the same thing...so a bargain in France...if you can get Muscat Sec......we manage to get it in the Languedoc...but not easily elsewhere..that is a superb dry floral white....voila! happy sipping....x

Ah, now it makes sense Carol! You had me worried there for a minute - I was looking forward to my quiet bevvy on the concrete slab that I call my patio once Twerp is older. Phew. So the shops may not stock batteries, but what's the best (inexpensive) wine or beer you recommend? Got mum et al arriving on Wednesday and need to get some in!

I know what this is in response to, but getting a ittle below the belt. Can we get back to the discussion in hand please?

what I meant Valerie was 'beyond the bottle of wine' we bought in bulk....boxes and cases!!! though for me beer...I am not a wine drinker...OH and I enjoy a night out..I have a pint of lager he has a glass of wine...no waiter ever gets it right!

With teenage kids I'd have thought that was the time to START drinking wine, lol! Anyway, I think age is irrelevant - you know what they say: growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional. That's my mantra and I'm sticking with it. Well, at least while I'm trying to race round the lawn after a football like a 7 year old.

Excellent Richard....full of charm as usual....and very constructive.....do you have many friends? did you move here because maybe you didnt have any friends in the UK and the language barrier is sufficient to hide your becoming personality? just asking....

Some people consider this behaviour 'laid back' Susan...and are happy to live with it.... personally it drives me nuts!

absolutely....and the St Moret is just like Philly....we use loads of it...