What's it like living in the Creuse?

Wow Claudia, you really have in it for the Creuse don’t you?

To quote your words…

“We visited a house for sale once and it was so out of the way 5kms from departmental road or more”.

Sounds like absolute bliss to us!! People are not all the same and some of us want to escape the crowds, and live in a place with stunning, sleepy countryside. I have lived in the Scottish Highlands and deepest darkest Mid Wales but many English people have never even been to visit those places. We are not talking about the Arctic Circle here! We are talking about a sparsely populated French department with beautiful countryside, and within easy reach of two sizeable cities (Limoges and Clermont Ferrand). For your information there is quite an influx of young people to La Creuse for Permaculture and to live an alternative lifestyle. It’s not for everyone, but appeals to us (in our late forties) much more than being absolutely surrounded by Brits at every turn in the Charente for example! Not everyone wants to be chasing filthy lucre or to be five minutes from a doctor or a Hypermarche! Can you deal with that?

1 Like

Well, the doctor’s and dentist are currently locked in my basement… I went across to your Dept and ‘borrowed’ them… :slight_smile:

No issues on the healthcare side. We have had a baby daughter in the last 18 months, so Hospitals, Doctor’s, follow up with healthcare workers coming to see us and us going to our local town’s Early Learning Activity Centre, without facing any issues.

Are part of the ‘deal’ is that we have to use our car to travel to the places. Considering we live in the ‘middle of nowhere’ (our choice), everything about radius of 20KM. Apart from the hospital, which is about 50 KM away.

Re the generosity of the state for Creuse - Why the issue? In parts of the UK I believe, we have area’s which survive from the central state? I believe that is called re-distributing resources… Not too sure why you keep coming back to that? Unless you suggest that every part of France has to be financially self efficient?

You know the history of Creuse well, which is very good. So you can understand why the ‘book’s don’t balance’ for the Dept. Add to your knowledge is that we have the second least number of people living in any Dept.

We are finding because of the rich beautiful countryside and low density population, we are getting relatively young people, like ourselves with a more eco and tech background, coming to this Dept. Yes, at the moment Creuse is not the power house engine of the region and will take a long time. but as a person who seems to know her history, things do not stay the same and different area’s become more successful or decline. You could use an example of Shoreditch in East London. Im sure this conversation could of been similar between us, 20 years ago, where you would be saying a similar point of you ? It’s now a very expensive and hip place to be. Was it depending on subsidies from the Central State, yes I’m sure.

About us. We are relatively young. Do not need to relay on tourist trade to survive. We are tech savvy with an eco outlook. We have fields which produce food for us. We have investments in various areas which do reduce financial risk. We live a simple but enjoyable life going back to nature but without ignoring modern tech. We have also youngish friends from other parts of France, who wish to come here.

Our French neighbours are very friendly and helpful. When working outside, its always amazing how friendly the tractor drivers are - Waving to us - Cant remember the last time when I lived in London that strangers would that. That was also one the reasons why we settled here, after travelling through and checking different parts of France, for the last 8 years - The local people are friendly and very helpful. Not too sure your generalised statement that the local people here or the Dept is ‘backwards’ is very fair or justified…?

Still not too sure why you have such a negative attitude about Creuse and use a very weak argument about subsidies? Please explain your logic and apply to other cases of dept in France which depends on the central state?

2 Likes

Things have changed perhaps due to positive implants like yours. My comments date back a while ago. I hope you continue your interesting life even after brexit!

1 Like

Hello Paul,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me!

My partner and I are currently living on the Northern most coast of the Scottish highlands in the least populated area (we believe) of Western Europe - 2 people per sqkm! So we are used to remote! 50 miles to nearest proper town, and traffic lights…70miles to the nearest roundabout!!
We love the quiet, the lack of people (he says running a b&b!) the sense of space, the big night skies and the jaw dropping beauty… however, I have developed a type of psoriasis on my hands that may lead to arthritis and the best cure is UV - more sunshine, which is rubbish as we moved here for the colder weather (not everyone’s dream I know!).
So now we are thinking of the possibility of moving to France.
We have been looking at the Charente area but reading your posts fear that we might be like you and find it, ummmm… not for us.
It seems you are searching for something similar to us - a house with land.
We fear scorching heat and don’t mind the cold and rain but would need a ‘better quality’ of UV - reading your (and others) posts it would seem the haute Vienne might be perfect - beautiful landscapes, quiet, few people and it would be nice to have trees around us again (especially as we also have a small crafting wood crafting business too!)
So, if you don’t mind my asking, how’s it going and how have you found the area? Have you settled somewhere? how’s the climate?
Thanks for any help/advice you may be able to give,
Kind regards,
Steve

If you are serious about moving to France please don’t rely on Paul’s experiences and dismiss the Charente. He has been unfairly hard on the department and it offers things that the Creuse doesn’t and vice versa. I don’t live in either area but visit both very frequently. I would choose the Charente over the Creuse for a main residence due to its all year round climate and relative proximity to the coast, but the Creuse over the Charente for a holiday home. However, saying that I would put the Lot even higher up my list of places for a second home.
If you really are considering moving to France and don’t have a favoured region be prepared spent significant time in places you fancy, consider renting for a while. Paul chose the Charente for his first French house. He must have had valid reasons for that. Living in the middle of nowhere does not mean that you will not/need not live an expat lifestyle. I know people who live in very remote regions who haven’t integrated at all and others who live in areas where there is a (relatively) high British population who survive quite happily without being a part of that community. It takes all sorts and at the end of the day and it’s your choice to decide how you spend your life. Over the years my French neighbours have become my closest friends. Paul chose his original property because it was near to Verteuil, a beautiful Charentaise town. I can only believe that that choice was based on the same criteria that the rest of the large British population who own property and run businesses there used.

Hello David,
thanks for taking the time to reply, we are definitely not counting out any areas yet!
If previous moves are anything to go by we will simply find an area we love and move there! We never expected to be so far North but fell in love with the area and haven’t regretted it for a moment. The expat or intergration side of things doesn’t really matter either - we tend to find that regardless of nationality, language, colour or creed you either get on with people or don’t!
You know what they say - if life gives you lemons…
Sell them and buy wine!

Hello Steve. We didn’t actually move to the Charente because we wanted to be close to Verteuil!!

We actually made a hurried decision due to personal circumstances and have now moved on. I have PM’ed you.

Cheers Paul

1 Like

It was very convenient for the Yurt business that you had planned. Don’t forget that before you started slagging off the Charente you used to post posts full of praise for the area. You also explained how your back of beyond in north Wales was stuffed with middle class academics and the like.

I really don’t know what you are on about Dave? Why can’t you accept that some people don’t want to spend the rest of their lives in the Charente? It’s not for everybody and it DEFINITELY not for us! I fully understand why SOME people love it.

Anyway, this is a thread about the Creuse not Charente!

What’s up @Aquitaine ? Is this thread getting off topic or do you have a genuine complaint with @paul

Simple facts James. Read the middle of Stevyn’s first post and you will see what I’m commenting about, it was a reply to a post, not going off topic. Paul has been very unpleasant about the Charente and the people who live there in the past. He made a mistake buying a house there but the region is not as he describes it. All I did today was recommend that nobody should discount the area on his say so without checking it out first. I don’t live in the Charente but know that part of it well enough to know that it is not as he has described it.
A minor point Paul, I am called David, I have never been Dave. :slight_smile:

Hi James

I really have not been unpleasant about the Charente or it’s people, merely that it was not working for us and that we’d had a very negative French experience, by buying the wrong property in the wrong area (plus having difficulties with one neighbour!!) . I think my original thread was “living in rural Charente is doing my head in”. We were having trouble adapting to living in France full time and also the thread provoked lots of thoughtful discussion. I believe that is the raison d’etre of SFN!!

1 Like

I will close this thread (shortly) pending review.

I suggest flagging pertinent comments, I can’t read everything so I need the community’s help to know what needs attention. Ok?

1 Like

Flag icon under the comment, all admins see them.

Flag them asap please :slight_smile:

1 Like

James, does the ‘sender’ see the flag and does it show the person who has flagged it?

Martin

Only admins see the flags Martin.

2 Likes