Where are you from and where did you move to in France?

http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi/public/particuliers.impot?espId=1&pageId=part_taxe_habitation&impot=TH&sfid=50 this should be helpful - it goes into all sorts of situations I hadn't thought of!

Hi Elizabeth. I was born in Stonehaven too, where my family have lived for over 100 years. My family were very well known there and so almost certainly knew your grandparents.

It is a small world!

As I heard it refers to the fact that French born residents in N.Africa always wore boots, almost always black, while locally born n. Africans worn sandals

Good on yer, la

Amazing. My grandparents lived there too, in Stonehaven. I thought I detected a kindred Quine in you Veronique.

Do you think you could advise me where to access archives for taxes fonciere. It seems I am paying still for a house I sold almost ten years ago, and that is why my bill is so high. However it is my job to investigate.

Other question about taxe habitation. Should my bill be the same after the death
of my husband? Is it by number of inhabitants or by household.

Neither of these bills has changed despite my change in status.

I have been all over Google and will be contacting service for particulars non-resident, but would love to have a better understanding BEFORE I get there.

I would love to hear what you know,if you have time.

Sandra Rose Rynn
I am from Prudhoe now living in Pyrenees Atlantiques 64.

What’re in France are you?

I was born in Hertfordshire, spent my earlyish childhood moving around (nothing exotic, mind, just Rutland, Leicestershire, the Scottish Borders...), then my parents finally settled in West Sussex. I studied in St Andrews, but my degree in modern languages involved "living" (albeit not for very long) abroad, so I spent time in Salamanca in Spain and Paris. I moved back to Paris right after graduating in 1992 and found it as expensive and unfriendly as the first time, so I only stuck it for a whopping 3 months before moving to (much friendlier, much nicer) Lyon, where I stayed for 7 years. I've lived in Montpellier since 1999, so as I'm clearly edging progressively south, I guess I'll be spending my retirement among the penguins in Antarctica...!

Born in London....lived in Wales many years...juggling mortgages etc..at last had enough cash to quit...found a house a few kms from here...in a weekend..that had a good roof..moved there '96. But always dreamed of a river...
So now...here I am...writing from my balcony over(or almost in) the River Semnon...Brittany. Love the rain, woodland, river, Sisleyesque villages...and all the amazing tidying up and tree planting of many local villages, in progress...

My wife and me are from Finland, yes, the almost frozen country in the north. We have been here in the Pays de Gex since 2009, I came to work in Geneva, Switzerland. After the closure of the company 2013 followed by my unemployment, we have been planning the next step and in August we will move to south and start a new life there. No plans to go back to Finland...

oh ok i have a neighbour who went to Lyon from the Uk to work in an IT company so i wondered if it was the same place. He has since told me that quite a few companies did the same thing around that time.

Hi Susan - which part of Scotland?

I'm from Weston-Super-Mare and I now live near Dax in the Landes dept. Catharine is from London

Born in Scotland, lived and worked in USA for 25 years, returned to UK before taking up last (hopefully) job working in Saudi but retirement is pending. So, after looking long and hard I finally settled for Uzes in Languedoc. Currently renting before moving permanently to give me time to look around and decide whether to continue renting or buying.

Many thanks!

Black foot is basically the term given to someone of French ancestory who was in Algeria during French rule, and who returned to France after independance. In the two instances below both were born in Algeria or French parents who worked there.

I'd never heard the term until 15 yrs or so ago when this friend said he was a black foot. Interestingly our plumber in Charente Maritime is also one.

Since they both used the term to describe their background I assume it is not derogatory, and I've used it in conversation and neither seemed up nor down.

If I remember I'll ask them the origin of the term

Hi James, I grew up in Essex, lived most of my adult life in Swindon, but lived in Gloucester since 2004 until last October when my husband and I moved to France to live in the house we had been renovating here in a village called La Chapelle St Laurent, Poitou Charentes 79. My husband is a semi retired aerospace engineer and I’m a personal trainer. We are enjoying our new life and new friends and making our home beautiful!

1 Like

The MTL Instruments Group which is based in Luton and was bought out by Coopers who then got bought out by Eaton

1 Like

brazilian but I left Brasil when I was 17 to study in Hong Kong and never went back to Brazil again, my husband is british we met and got married in Hong Kong, we are now in Carcassonne.

1 Like

Hi George,

U seem to know more current French than I do. Who is a pied noir in French? My neighbour used this term the other day to describe one of our French neighbours born in Tunisia; I said it was insulting as the lady is a very nice French lady who grew up in N.Africa. He said it was not insulting, so can u really call a person pied noir to his face? As a black woman who spent a long time in the UK, I know when I'm being insulted to tell people to f. off and respond with appropriate term. But I don't know the gros-mots in French and it is a big disadvantage. So who is a pied noir - thks.

Hi Steve, what company did you go out to work for in Lyon?