Where are you from and where did you move to in France?

Norfolk to Gerde in the Hautes-Pyrenees. Very different view from our house and we love the mountains. We have had the house for over ten years but only moved full time last year. No regrets.

1 Like

I was born in the North East of England, Wallsend. Moved to a village called Ellington not far from Alnwick, Northumberland and now here in France for last 20 months.

1 Like

I have a French friend (lives between Bordeaux and Libourne and now aged 70) who speaks wonderful English with a scouse accent. A pied noir, his father was a senior cop, saw the writing on the wall, and decided son should learn English. So as a teenage he spent the summer with their au paire's family in Liverpool. He and his wife are a great double act - he with the scouse accent, she with her wonderful Bordeaux Uni English

1 Like

Lived in north London most of my life, then Northamptonshire, and moved to Tarn et Garonne inb 2007. We had come to France on holiday every year for more than 20 years and just loved it, never regretted moving here.

1 Like

Born in Somerset (mother sent there to avoid bombs), grew up in Battersea and Wimbledon, travelled (Africa & S.America) but always loved France. Trained teacher but loathed schools. Had a farm in Scotland when Big Bang sucked funds away & down to London so a lot of us went bankrupt. Applied for Scottish teaching cert. but it took so long it only arrived the day before I left for a TEFL job in Spain. The boss was a scammer so left a year later with less money than I'd arrived with & got a job in Paris. An American outfit needed a teacher here in the Limousin so I became a self-employed teacher. Was able to buy an old, long-empty house and gradually get it ship shape. Have now nearly completed the nationalisation forms ready to apply.

2 Likes

Maison secondaire, so far, but the Isle of Man and Pepieux, near Olonzac, in the Aude!

Hi all,

I'm originally from SE Ireland (Carlow). Spent 10 years in Dublin, 9 in Brussels and moved to the Lot (46) in 2010.

Hi Denise. Welcome to France. I have a sister who lives in NH. Sorry we’re not closer here but if you’re lonely and have questions feel free to PM me and Ai’ll do my best to help.

1 Like

My husband, my self and our rottweiler from San Francisco, California, USA moved to France permanently as of October 1, 2014. We have owned our house here in Magalas in the Herault since 2011. We are retired but are my husband is an artist, painter and I am a photographer. It is a small town but with all services so we do not own a vehicle but rent one if necessary.

1 Like

Originally Essex/London/Middlesex/Costa Tropical, Spain and now in the Charente between Charme and Tusson

I was born in Lewisham, lived in the SE of the UK all of my previous life. Husband (Essex boy) and I moved to a small village in south Deux Sevres 10 years ago. We moved to France because we loved the country, and were getting very stressed with the crowds, noise and commuting where we were living in S Beds. I'm here full time now, having found some part time work, but poor hubby has been working in the UK since we moved here.

1 Like

Oh thank goodness, a fellow Martian. And I thought I was the only one here. Did Zrog, our Great Leader, banish you here too?

As a child, you read lots of romantic novels and France seemed to be the place it was all happening. All those lovely French ladies in their flowing gowns swooning in the arms of their lovers walking on the Champs Elysees.

Finally made it to Paris and dropped my suit-case and off to Champs-Elysees, it was magical! But after the adventure, could not go home bcse I didn't know the address of the hotel. Meanwhile the Metros had stopped working bcse it was 2 a.m. Ended up in the arms of the Police who called my Embassy and luckily, they came and picked me up. Well I was only 19 years!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why we come to France!

1 Like

Hi Eleanor, we're not the couple in Home or Away. Yeah, there are a fair no. of Catherine Carpenters around and that freaks me out; its the world of internet, a very small world. Yes, hubby spent 14 years in Africa and loved every minute of it but for health reasons had to come home to the UK.We were in Spain for a while but not knowing the lingo, we could not stay. As soon as we move nearer to the coast, I'll know that our wandering days are over because I really love France, dont ask me why. Hope u settle in well.

Well Gerald, I hope that you come to appreciate all that we humans have to offer here on Earth. I'm sure that you are fascinated with the Mars Mission, looking for any evidence of the friends and family you've left behind. It must be hard to be so far from home with no chance to visit (and I thought that getting to go home once a year was difficult).

I wish you all the best with your life here. ;-)

Best reply yet!

Originally from Belfast in Northern Ireland. Lived in Cambridge from 1974 then moved to France in 2009. Tiny hamlet Cantobre, 30 km from Millau (where Norman Fosters viaduct is! Love it here. It’s beautiful!

I am from the US as well. We moved from New Hampshire to Magalas 4 weeks ago! Loving it but a lot to get used to. Would love to meet others who live nearby. It does get lonesome sometimes

Denise

1 Like

Hi Eleanor,

We are in the Perigord Vert Region, North Dordogne, Commune of St Paul La Roche 24800

Hi Byron,

Nice to see another person from southern Africa. I went to Uni in CT ...... loved spending holidays there for years afterwards. Whereabouts in the Dordogne are you guys?