Why, if you live in France, did you vote for Brexit?

suckers

4 Likes

hahahaha. They are hardly impartial are they?

1 Like

if you choose to do your ā€˜researchā€™ by reading and watching biased right wing media, more fool you.

1 Like

so you would prefer to become another star on the American flag?

2 Likes

he wasnā€™t voted for. The British voter has no say over who the leader gives positions to.

1 Like

If as you claim the British public didnā€™t vote for Boris Johnson, How then did he become an MP?

2 Likes

I think you must be confusing me with someone else Pam. I thought that I had made plain that my preference is for the UK to remain an independent sovereign country.

3 Likes

p.s. ā€¦ itā€™s spelt English

1 Like

Re: the Ā£ being changed to the ā‚¬ ā€¦ I was part of the team working on the National Irish Bank conversion to the Euro. We ā€œdidā€ the NatWest bank at the same time in case the change happened in the UK. It would have been a very easy change ā€¦ and then there was Mayhem ā€¦

2 Likes

the UK is a small insignificant country which canā€™t even produce all the food it needs so it needs alliances. If you really imagine we are some kind of superpower and weā€™ll have an Empire again and all the wealth from those countries flowing into the UK, you are deluded. If you believe that leaving a large trade co-operative with bulk buying power, is better, and by having less buying power is a good thing, man you are deluded. We havenā€™t even left the EU yet and already food prices have risen sharply and the Ā£ has plummeted to record levels, so do you really believe that after we leave, itā€™ll rise sharply, food prices will drop again and things will be better for those of us stuck in this narrow plutocratic county?

4 Likes

ā€œIā€™m sure that in the next few years other countries will also be taking the leapā€ ā€¦ the leave voters are HOPING that this will happen so that they donā€™t look like the only prats!

5 Likes

He was first past the post in his constituency, so yes a proportion of a proportion of the national electorate voted him in as their MP. Getting a cabinet job is in the gift of the PM though, and heavily influenced by in-party hackery. Boris is an opportunist who will do and say pretty well anything in the hope that he will at some stage get the top job.

6 Likes

By standing in a safe seat? A stuffed octopus would have done equally well.
Donā€™t worry too much about the elected MPs anyway, they all have unelected advisors who influence their choices.

1 Like

Just want to make an observation as Iā€™m now fed up with this topic and all other topics with brexit as the subject of ā€˜discussionā€™. All of the acidic insulting comments come from the remain camp. I have yet to see a leaver berating or insulting remainers. Thatā€™s the problem with these forums from what Iā€™ve seen unless someone can link me to any posts proving me wrong. Does it really matter what newspaper one reads? Someone here berating the Daily mail, the Sun, Express etc, yet the Guardian is the word of god. Same person making a derogatory observation about quoting from far right media yet would be quite happy to quote from a far left paper such as the Guardian. Iā€™m not knocking the Guardian, Daily Mail, Sun etc, just trying to make the point that all newspapers carry same stories and political opinions are just that, an opinion of a journalist, not the word of god. We all have our favourite news rag mine happens to be the independant. I also read mailonline especially the F1 section and I cannot stand Jonathan McEvoy who is obviously anti Lewis Hamilton, yep, Iā€™m a Hamilton fan. Itā€™s a real shame this forum canā€™t be conducted in a more adult manner instead of the continual sniping by the remainers. For that reason, Iā€™m calling it a day so bye all, have a nice lifeā€¦

Lee

11 Likes

Roger i find your comment insulting. ā€œthe leave voters are HOPING that this will happen so that they donā€™t look like the only prats!ā€.
Yes I did vote leave. But you , nor anyone else, do not know what i am hoping. AND i couldnā€™t care less what other countries do.

6 Likes

Shame youā€™re going Lee. Iā€™m choosing not to participate in these ā€˜discussionsā€™. Why bother? I

4 Likes

Left, Right doesnā€™t matter one iota to me. I tend to read between the lines whatever the political bias and come to my own conclusions. Thatā€™s all any of us can do, right or wrong.

2 Likes

Errā€¦

Well Pam, whilst the UK is indeed small in physical size compared to many other nations, I really donā€™t think it appropriate to use the word ā€˜insignificantā€™. The list of benefits brought to the world by British scientists, engineers, and inventors over the years is considerable, and the UK continues to be at the cutting edge of innovation and discovery in many fields today.

Not having alluded to either the days of Empire, nor to the question of whether the UK is a superpower or not in any of my writing on this discussion thread, I take comfort from your assertion that I am therefore not delusional.

I must admit to being rather confused by what I believe to be your description of the EU as ā€œa large trade co-operative with bulk buying powerā€. To my knowledge the EU is not really in the habit of buying anything, save perhaps for the unnecessary transportation of its administration from Brussels to Strasbourg and back again each year.

By the way, to say that ā€œthe Ā£ has plummeted to record levelsā€ is factually incorrect. Yes the Ā£ has fallen, but in January and March of 2009 it was down at a shade below ā‚¬1.05 and ā‚¬1.06 respectively. Exchange rates vary all the time, and often are cyclical in nature. Once things settle down it is highly likely that the Ā£ will bounce back again. Just as with the weather, sometimes we need to exercise a little patience.

7 Likes

The UK will need the pound to stay reasonably weak after Brexit to boost exports and discourage too many imports. Britainā€™s history is of no relevance, the clock started ticking with the referendum. Thatā€™s why ā€˜weā€™ keep asking the same question that never gets answered, Where is the money going to come from to allow the British population to continue enjoying the standard of living they have become accustomed to?

3 Likes