Why, if you live in France, did you vote for Brexit?

I voted leave because when I see the senior management of the EU they don’t present a representative imagine of your European folk; what I see are white, middle/old heterosexual Christian men, but Europeans are not just this group, they are women, LGBT, the youth, black, asian, Muslim, Jewish and Hindus. Where are the people being represented at senior management level from these groups? It is hard for many Europeans to identify themselves with the EU’s senior management. They need to develop in this area to be inclusive of all Europeans.

2 Likes

The UK is a unique country in many ways and the diversity of it’s politicians is one of the things I think many countries are envious of, however that is a strange reason for voting to leave the EU IMO. If you voted Tory last week you must be appalled by the alliance with the DUP whose stance on LGBT rights and gay marriage is so different.

1 Like

By asking the question, you are making the assumption that everybody votes for what seems to be beneficial for them personally. This assumes that we all vote in a selfish manor.
I believe that the EU is corrupt, unbeneficial to most counties and is in the process of falling apart. I believe that a vote for brexit will hasten this process for the benefit of the vast majority of people living in Europe.
You only have to see the panic by the ‘vested interests’ in trying to get this vote reversed to identify who will be the winners & who will be the losers.
Yes, I live here in France and enjoy my life here, and yes this brexit may make things more difficult for ME but overall I consider that my vote should be a vote for what I consider best for society overall.

5 Likes

Just out of interest, why do you think that you have the right to vote on behalf of citizens of other EU countries?

6 Likes

David, in the same way that one casts a vote in the General Election not just for oneself and family, but for the country, society as a whole and hopefully a better world overall. I’m not sure I would call it a ‘right’ but one’s political choice, and ultimately the winning political party, has an effect in Europe and beyond. I too believe that an EU with much reduced political power is preferable. Maybe citizens in other EU countries will see that exit from the EU is possible and be encouraged to press for their own referendum … who knows.

2 Likes

What a strange answer. People in most European countries do not see the EU in the same way as those who want to leave in Britain. Yes, you have the right to vote for yourself and your country in general (but not on behalf of other adults who have their own vote) but to claim to be voting on behalf of the citizens of another country whose citizens neither want not are taking part in a leave or stay referendum is arrogant beyond belief!

4 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by “not on behalf of other adults who have their own vote”, I’m voting for what I think is best for the world, same way as you presumably. Someone who votes one way thinks they know better than the voters who cast their cross in the other box and wants their chosen party to win and put their policies in force. But I think we’re splitting hairs here David. I haven’t claimed to be voting on behalf of anybody else, but I’d like to think that the Leave decision will have encouraged other EU sceptics in other countries to keep their ‘faith’ as it were. I really can’t imagine why you think that’s arrogant.

2 Likes

I’d say that’s pretty arrogant - as if the majority of EU countries give a stuff about what the UK does any more! Most are bored stiff with​ the whole bloody mess and can’t wait to see the back of the UK so they can get on with important stuff!!

3 Likes

Thank you for writing that Simon. That is exactly as I see it. I just don’t understand the, ‘We’ll lead the way then perhaps Jonnie Foreigner will see the light’ attitude when in my experience, and I left the UK in April 1986, the vast majority of Europeans see the likes of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage as something quaint, very British but not really their cup of coffee and the thought of leaving a harmonious, trading block of 28 neighbouring countries is something that only a fool would consider.

6 Likes

Yep - the UK accounts for less than 1% of the World’s population - nothing to be arrogant about…

2 Likes

That’s a considered and clever response, not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t vote as I live in France but I was living in the UK when Britain joined the EU and I voted NOT to join, had I been living in UK definite Brexit. This “old boys club” has got to big, too bossy, & too draconic, the time is right to put on the brakes, take a deep breath, and ask yourself " what is in it for us, are we getting value for money, are we being taken for a ride? " Need to assess the situation, and see how far from the original concept The EU has strayed.

4 Likes

Interesting - so how do you see a post-Brexit UK @Ketchup ?

2 Likes
1 Like

Isn’t YouTube great - you can find just about anything to suit your taste…

2 Likes

I see a post-Brexit as a total balls up - why because none of the political parties actually believed that the “Brexitvote” would win so they were totally & utterly unprepared & paralysed by the result.

JJ

2 Likes

Another interesting post @Ketchup - heads I win, tails you lose…oh, and something about a fence…

1 Like

Luckily the UK is further up the slippery slope of financial success than if it hadn’t joined the Common Market/EEC/EU. Any financial growth graph highlights the correlation between membership and growth, but now it needs a miracle to maintain the position, let alone to climb up and up to the dizzy heights promised by Boris, Nigel and Co. What no Brexit supporter/EU hater has ever explained to me is, where is the money going to come from now the UK’s industrial heart has died and the country has turned its back on its nearest, closest, most similar and best trading partners?

3 Likes

Ah it is not that “Brexits” are EU /CM haters its that the UK has been made impotent by the likes of madame Merkel et al and lost their rights / independance etc for which 2 world wars were fought for and being told how and when they can inhale or exhale! Some of the biggest bug bears was the waste of money being spent on the EU Parliament and the meps who signed in & then played truant like naughty school children ( but of course they made sure they were paid ) also the right to say who may enter or not enter the UK - this is a very deep ulcer when it concerns foreign nationals who commit heinous crimes & then cry that their " human rights are being ignored" the crimes they commit would not be carried out by any decent human being so how can they claim " human rights" & the EU courts cowtail to them.
Perhaps you should go direct to the people who voted Brexit and ask them why .

JJ

4 Likes

Jennifer: Nonsense. Literally.

5 Likes