Will you be seeking French Citizenship?

I really can't see how the UK and France could have a special treaty, when it's all covered in detail by EU legislation

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/when-living-abroad/health-insurance-cover/index_en.htm

- and this is exactly what happens as regards UK pensioners in France.

I don't believe there is one. There were arrangements under the Council of Europe (which we could go back to) but I believe they were all superceded by the EU social security treaty that was ratified in 2010.

The countries with bilateral agreements are listed here and we just come under the EEA arrangements at the moment https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

Thank you Debra, that link makes clear the UK has a bilateral agreement with France for Health cover. Whether that survives Brexit is of course another issue.

Peter, according to Debra's link the countries with bilateral agreements are

"

These countries are:

Barbados, Bermuda, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Guernsey, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia, Mauritius, Montenegro, New Zealand, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Serbia, Turkey, USA."

Do you see France in that list? I don't?

As Debra says, "we just come under the EEA arrangements at the moment".

Yes. We're ok if the UK stays in the EEA and I thought they may do that but they seem to be sticking out for a restriction on free movement and the EU bods equally seem to be sticking out that it has to stay as is if the UK want to stay in the EEA

I really can't guess which way it will go at the moment as I think Theresa May will find it hard to still allow free movement in the current political climate but the UK will find it difficult if they aren't in the single market. Can anyone else guess whether either party will give and which way it will go??

James you have re-posted this topic under a new heading which is fine.

You ask "Now the Brexit dust has settled will you be applying for French citizenship?"

The first answer is that the dust has by no means settled, if anything quite the reverse. The UK Gov't doesn't have a policy on Brexit or even what it means, since the Leave campaigners were a rainbow coalition which combined to win the vote but who have different and conflicting objectives.

If the UK heads into a period of economic recession or depression then the attitude towards the terms of Brexit will be quite different if the UK economy is bubbling along quite cheerfully. The earliest measurement of that will probably not be before Q1 2017 maybe Q2 2017.

In my opinion, the decision ot acquire a French passport is almost peripheral to that. If you have decided stay in France for the rest of your life, etc then logically go for a new passport, but if not then there really is no panic.

for the moment I'm not going to change anything or seek French nationality. I've decided to wait and see what the governments arrange. Having lived and worked here for 20 years and being firmly 'in the system' I'm not going to complicate my life until I really have to. As Andrew says, there's a lot of paperwork and waiting involved when applying for nationality, and if I don't have to do it, all the better.

The answer is 42

Do not panic

Same here. I arrived on July 1st, 1978.

I doubt they'll accompany me and my four children born here manu militari to the border of my choice :-)

If they do so, I'll choose the Singapore border

Is it just a coincidence that, following BREXIT, we now have Survive France LIMITED?

Yes, shouldn't it be 'Survive the UK Limited' ?

:-)

I've only been here a year so there is no choice for me at the moment.

I do have other options though....

... One of my friends said that he is going to hide me in his house so that I don't have to go back to the UK.

Another said he would marry me. My husband wasn't so keen on that idea.

I am thinking about applying in four years time. Especially if I decide to stay in France.

Posted the following on FB - only half the responses showed they "got" what I was "getting at" - ie my experiencing a TASTE of what might become reality for all of us soon

No, will not be applying for French citizenship. I married a Frenchman, have a half-French daughter and a three quarters French grandson.
When WORLD CITIZENSHIP becomes an option I will set the ball rolling.

"A BREXIT PREMONITION. A MOMENT OF HORROR

I have been in France for ten years. I have been treated for Cancer for all that time. I went for my annual mammogram on Friday. This is at least the tenth time I have been squashed and pummelled. Afterwards I sit and wait awhile then my results, plus the Carte Vitale I handed over on arrival, are given to me and I am waved goodbye. This time I was obliged to pay €100. The Carte Vitale had not done its job. Yet the ordonnance I had presented CLEARLY stated "exonoré".

I am not posting this because I believe this is a consquence of the LEAVE vote. It is to share with you the TASTE of what is probably to come. I am trying to sort out what I am sure is an administrative error. Such fun - five different authorities to supply with papiers en sextuplet.

The shock, the bewilderment, the panic - of that moment - THIS COULD BE ALL OF US FOR REAL SOON.

Shirley, I am sorry to read about your battle with cancer, which is hard enough without dealing with adminstrative cock-ups.

I hope you have not paid this invoice and if I were you I would write and say "go forth and multiply!" though not sure if that translates into French

You have been here long enough to know they love their games. In this case it might be admin, or somebody taking the piss (you have left the EU so I am going to be difficult!) or somebody thinking well you have left the EU so this is what you have to pay from now on.

It is clearly wrong so go for it.

Deux systèmes de dépistage coexistent depuis huit ans: l’un «organisé» DO, l’autre «individuel» DI. On vient officiellement de démontrer que le premier est à la fois efficace et peu coûteux. Le second est nettement moins efficace et plus cher. Conclusion: on ne touche à rien. Pourquoi?

The DI, dépistage individuel, is not completely 'pris en charge'

http://www.slate.fr/story/50765/cancer-sein-scandale-francais-depistage-mammographies

I haven't enjoyed your posts in general, but this one was an eye-opener and I thank you for it. I had no idea there were two systems. I have a mammo every two years as all the women in my immediate family have died from breast cancer. I realise after reading the article that I have always had a DI. The fact that it is reported to be less effective than a DO is alarming. I shall now know not to throw the invitation in the bin next time.

Are you ruling out ' honest' mistake?

I have not gone through a lot yet over here. Just as a stupid comparison, in US I had health insurance PLUS access to a professional ' problem solver' i.e. a person who would help me contact all parties involved. Then I would sit in sometimes 1 hour phonemeeting listening to my guy politely talk to my insurance company, hospital, doctors office and what not. In US (Texas) doctors are not allowed to be emplyed by hospitals. Room for all sort of mistakes. Sometimes it was about a bill of $4000, mostly less $$. You have to be strong to be seriuosly ill.

Likewise, I'm sure.

@ Peter

No, not ruled it out. My new surgery is not a one man home from home like my original one here in the village
Have just braced myself and phoned. The secretary listened patiently to my tale of woe and is going to phone me back when one of the SIX doctors has had time to look into it ....
Yes, the admin in France is worse than the maladies and treatments :-)