Will you be seeking French Citizenship?

"I am now considering applying again for a British one as well" - can I ask why?

I may go for permanent residency or dual nationality, depending on which is easiest.

i haven't seen mentioned that the over 60's and people who have been here 5 years plus do not have to sit the designated language test the french governement have waived that - comments appreciated

over 60s but nothing to do with how long you've been here, Nina, more details here ;-)

Hmmmm, perhaps my "Englishness" would not be diluted too much by dual nationality, I passed the language test years ago

Simply because when the British ports do away with the speedier EU entry gates, I dont want to be hanging around waiting for them to process me as a French visitor. Much quicker walking through waving a UK passport.

As a Scot there is an intriguing possibility of being offered the opportunity of exchanging a "British" (non-eu) passport for a "Scottish" (eu) one at some future point. Any thoughts on what a Scottish passport would look like? Tartan? Embossed with a Sturgeon rampant? Crossed Andy Stewart / Moira Anderson motif? We live in interesting times!

1 Like

Andrew, did I read what you said correctly? Are you saying that if someone has been married to a French person for over four years French Nationality is automatic?

Stanley Baxter language content for sure!

It makes it easier: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2726 but it isn't automatic.

A point which anyone applying for French Nationality should bear in mind ..... The ethos behind such an application is that one wants to become French! One must show, not only command of the language, but full integration, and embracing the French culture, as well as a knowledge of the structure of France. You will not gain nationality if your reasons are because UK is leaving the EU, or you like the lifestyle here. I was asked many questions to show I had integrated, like do I hold a French driving licence? where do I go on holiday ?(France of course), are my investments held in France? do I still have a "bolt-hole" in UK? how often do I go back to UK? Are my friends mainly Brits or French? Could I name some French ministers, could I pin-point various départements? and so on. Then a few months later, a convocation to attend the local gendarmerie where I was interviewed for about an hour and many of the questions were put to me again (and responses noted). Of course I was checked behind the scenes too, because a couple of my French friends received a visit. Well, I convinced them that my heart lay in France, and although I still have British nationality, that is incidental to me these days.

So unless you really do want to become French, and ulitmately take the oath of allegience, you really should ask yourself where your loyalties lie. If you are a true Francophile, no criminal record and can speak French, go for it, and good luck!

1 Like

Already have my "lifeboat"!

I just wonder if we will continue to have the right to hold two passports in the future Martin ?

I don't see why not, I had 2 passports long before the UK was a member of the EU.

Good point!

I followed that link and afaics it still requires 5 years residency for citizenship on the basis of naturalisation. Being over 60 just makes the "Assimilation into the community" language requirement "dispensed with"

sorry, thought it was obvious we were talking about the language test. Under 60s don't have to take it if you've got French qualifications which makes sense!

A very valuable posting for all those who think it's just a question of jumping through the hoops. Many don't seem to realise that it isn't just an ID card application and nothing else changes, it's far more profound than that.

thank you, VĂ©ro, taken the words out of my mouth ;-)

oh, and there didn't used to be a cooling off period but there were too many mariages blancs just to get French nationality...!