Will you be seeking French Citizenship?

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2726

Vous pouvez acquérir la nationalité française par déclaration après un délai de 4 ans à compter de votre mariage.

Le délai de communauté de vie est porté à 5 ans si, au moment de votre déclaration, vous ne pouvez pas prouver :

• que vous avez résidé de façon ininterrompue et légale (avec un document provisoire ou titre de séjour) en France pendant au moins 3 ans depuis votre mariage,
  • ou que, en cas de résidence à l'étranger, votre époux(se) français(e) a bien été inscrit(e) au registre des Français établis hors de France pendant votre communauté de vie à l'étranger.

Si votre mariage a été célébré à l'étranger, il doit avoir été transcrit sur les registres de l'état civil français.

etc

says the same thing in different words, I don't think there is anything to doubt

Hi Andrew, what is the no EU carte?

Non EU carte de séjour - explained later in the posts ;-)

Does this mean that 2 years after Article 50 is invoked that retiree's of pensionable age who are and have been permanently resident in France for more than 5 years will only be allowed access to the French Health System providing they can pay for it. And that the contribution to the UK NI scheme, that I paid into for more than 40 years becomes irrelevant.

This all seems a bit harsh on those of us with ongoing serious medical conditions - which become more acute the older we get - that require permanent medication and frequent visits to Hospital. With no prospect of a pension increase to meet such costs.

However, if I meet the criteria for obtaining French Nationality, and I do, Wife is French, permanently resident for more than 5 years, good written/verbal french, no previous convictions, etc; Does that mean l will continue to get the level of Health care that l currently receive through the S1/Carte Vitale EU regulations?

Maybe the Republic will be so overwhelmed with Expat applications for French nationality, particularly from elderly residents that it changes the rules - something my beloved France is fond of doing. In any event I will be getting my Application off Tout de suite.

Dan, you're asking questions that there are no answers to as yet, that's part of why there is all this uncertainty about. But FWIW, I can't see that acquiring French nationality will make a ha'porth of difference to the cost of healthcare. Why do you think the UK is more likely to spend NHS funds on paying for your healthcare if you become a French citizen, than if you don't?

Any serious medical conditions that are classed as ALDs are covered 100 per cent by the French system in any case so no expense there as long as you are eligible for French healthcare, the only difference as you say may be that UK pensioners will have to pay cotisations just as French pensioners do - as indeed presumably your wife does if she doesn't have an S1.

Nobody knows what will happen Dan, that's the problem. Negotiations will no doubt take place over the coming months and years to thrash out agreements between the UK and it's former EU partners. I would imagine at worst, treament will still be available but at a cost, probably with a large increase in complementary insurance charges.

Having French Nationality enables you the same rights as a French person born here. For health care the UK is no longer responsible for you so if there are problems with the reciprocal rights when the negotiations for the UK leaving the EU are complete, someone with French Nationality won't have any.

I was told this in my final interview at the prefecture before my forms were sent to Paris for final approval and don't have any reason to believe, this would change.t

I thought you kept your British nationality as well as the French?

You do under the present rules. Can't see how a Brexit will change that.

I am a journalist at The Times and was keen to talk to Britons living in France with concerns about Brexit - particularly those who may now apply for French citizenship. If anyone had a few minutes for a telephone interview today or tomorrow, I would be most grateful. I am based in Paris and my number is 06 10 30 67 35. Adam Sage

Adam, you're welcome to use what I said earlier on the phone: acquired rights, French family/business and "wait and see" attitude as a counter to those applying foe naturalisation ;-)

How much do you pay?

"How much do you pay?"

Do you mean, for healthcare?

Firstly it depends on income. Secondly, the entire system changed as of 1 Jan this year and AFAIK nobody has had their new bills yet since then. So unfortunately, that's another question with no reliable answer.

I think Stuart's comment was aimed at Adam - how much does he pay for being interviewed. Like me, Stuart's been working over here for years ;-)

A perfectly reasonable question to ask.

Stuart

How much do we pay? The Times can stretch to a glass of wine or a maybe a beer when I'm down your way

Adam Sage

After 38 years working in France, and 4 children born here, it wouldn't bother me to go back to having a Carte de Séjour and, if necessary, une carte de travail. I don't yet intend selling my UK real-estate given the exchange-rate with the €uro - I may even consider buying more.

I also believe that the Tories will do a lot of behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing with Brussels so as to remain as much as possible in the same situation as before the referendum. They'll just spin it to make the Brexiters think they aren't being hoodwinked out of their choice to leave 100%.

The devil in the detail..... My wife and I are presently filling in the information required for French citizenship. Has anyone any comments on how specific the dates of jobs and residence one has to be in the "Date du... au..." columns and how far back one should go? I am too aware that every region and prefecture has it's own take on what is right but before submitting and receiving the forms back with a curt request for more detail your opinions will help

hello John,

My list was actually quite accurate and I don't think I missed much out but that was because I had also had to complete a similar list for UK pensions at around the same time. I don't think much of it was actually checked ( and some of it couldn't have been) and at least I wasn't asked to translate this one. Good luck with your continued form filling!

I do not know if it is just here, but the mairie will not accept or help with any applications until Britain's situation an relationship with EU is negotiated and clarified