Writers, Bloggers and Translators

I'm interested in these ideas. My blog continues though less frequently of late and I'm editing my first book so I'm a newbie.

I agree, albeit I mainly go for established publishers and journals for others I absolutely agree with all you say.

OK, now to capture you anyway. I have 'volunteered' to take over admin of the group. Catharine and I, and others actually, think we should change the group's name anyway. My view is that thereare those of us (you might notice Andrew Hearne and I use English, Italian and French - sometimes for the fun of it) who are linguists or at least language trained. I am not but languages are an important part of my working life and thus I do reviews, am on various editorial boards/panels in various languages. So what the thought is now is to incorporate those of us with the language (and indeed other) skills in as well.

It only enhances what you are saying in fact, because then we can even do reviewing for each other for example. Anyway, that is where we think the name should change. Andrew suggested 'Wordsmiths' which Catharine is not keen on. I quite like it but would rather 'adjudicate' than thrust ideas at people.

So, a) I am assuming other group members will see this and hope they will respond and b) to you Stanley, think we should set out to do what you are suggesting, conditional on group members going with the idea for sakes of democratic decision making and all that.

Re my previous note, the French branch of The Society of Authors (SOAF) was established in 2006 to pool ideas and experience. About 200 SOA members live here. With several hundred other published authors, and maybe another 1000 budding authors seeking advice, I believe the SFN would be an excellent debating platform for all French based writers.

In recent years the traditional publishing industry has changed dramatically, due to remarkable developments in self-publishing and rapidly growing market for digital works.

It's never been easier for potential authors to realise dreams of being published at little or no cost - via guidance from Amazon, Apple etc., to support expanding worldwide sales of Kindle and other eBook reading devices.

SFN and SOAF together could be of practical help for all expat writers in these columns. One thought would be to encourage writing groups around the country.

@ Kerry - I'd vaguely heard of this, but the article makes interesting reading. It seems to be the perfect intermediary between the fast-download advantage of ebooks and the wish to keep the 'feel' of a 'real' book.

Hi,

If anyone's interested, I have just posted on my website a record of a song that I wrote and had released back in the 70's during the disco boom ... well, no one was immune and I loved disco music! My website's address is http://tonycraig.org . There are also other records and songs there that I have written and had released on the site too, along with my latest blog. I hope you like them! Tony!...

1 Like

Or a typo. 'gendre' - I was watching a programme, in French, about de Gaulle and they kept referring to his gendre when he was an older man. His son-in-law, seems he played quite a significant part in de Gaulle's life when he was older.

Yes, Glyn - my error. I always seem to put in extra 'd's where not appropriate!

I assume you mean 'genre' Stanley as 'gendre' is the French for son-in-law

Glyn

• Thanks for your welcome to the Writers' Group.
  • All writers need help at some stage, whether it's "how to" write different gendres of literature; finding agents and publishers; contract terms; vanity publishing, digital trends; self-publishing etc.
  • I can see that this writers' corner is a valuable aid for SFN members who are already published or on the brink.
  • With a fair amount of experience in publishing my own work I'll try to chip in with an item or two, and learn from others experiences.
  • If not already covered here, published writers qualify for membership of The Society of Authors, based in London. The society also helps budding authors through access to the SOA series of guides.These include topics such as;
  • Quick Guide to Authors' Agents
  • Quick Guide to Copyright and Moral Rights
  • Vanity Publishing
  • What sort of deal are you being offered?
  • Non-members can obtain the guides, for a small charge, at - http://www.societyofauthors.org/resources
  • I'm pleased to have found this corner and will follow its development with much interest.
  • Stanley Lover.

I'm guessing I must have got it wrong then...is there somewhere else I need to post?

Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place - Catharine told me to post a link to my blog on my website so here it is: http://www.lostinfinistere.com/blog.html - let me know if I got it right Catharine :-)

Thanks Jacqueline , it was all tongue in cheek, but I felt some reviewers though it could be too close to the mark!

Catharine it was downloadable free in France as well as I had 2. but 295 in total. I can send you a paperback, just email me where to.

Ron I am sure someone will take offence and throw it in the poubelle, but you might have to dig deep.

I've just finished Vantastic France and it is a good read, made me smile - Steve has definitely got the measure of the expat in France!

Also Steve - thinking about it, this might be something we can talk about on the new SFN radio show.

@ steve, would've bought one... sounds like a good read, but I don't spend anything now-a-days....we're even eating out of Poubelles ( nice ones )

@ Steve yes, same problem as Catharine, France based Amazon acc. ?? could you phone me and read it to me at bed times?

Hi Steve

I can't download as my Kindle is fr registered - if you can get me a copy some other way, I will happily review it for you? x

Just a reminder that Vantastic France is a FREE download in Kindle until midnight.

Should just about get to 2000 downloads in total when the last promo day is finished.

@ronald that's absolutely fine. I look forward to hear the other two topics. Jorgen

@ Jorgen

Thanks...I will email 3 topics, as soon as I have thought of them...how's about 'Blogger's Block, a 21st Century dilemma?' lol