Writers, Bloggers and Translators

That last paragraph is so true Norman. I think that despite the quivering fear of two levels of peer review for an academic work, that it does help and as well we know that a book can be thrown out at the first hurdle, we also know that major corrections and suggestions tend to improve the quality of the work. With the one now heading for the printer after proof reading and corrections, I see a quite different book to how it was when first written. My reviewers were brief, but could have put a lot of work on me, but the essence of what they said made me do particularly important things. In the interim, through an error by the distributors of the complimentary copies list coming to me, I know who they were. I breathed deeply since both are 'friends' but one I see as an up and coming big name of the future, the other I hold in awe because of the sheer volume and quality of her work. So yes, all criticism no, but take what people who express opinions take seriously. I somebody hates the work, do not take it badly but try to work out why - but DO NOT try to rewrite to please that person. One person is not the whole world and none of us will ever please the whole world. That is part of the honesty.

Great advice - "to be honest with yourself and to your work" - thanks for this post (from 24/7 in France)

With all authors, it is essential to remind yourself, or identify to whom the book is addressed. Note all publishers are interested in the sales potential of a submission. Most will either identify their requirements - including languages, upfront (see Writers & Artists Handbook) so you must try and make the fit with the Publisher most attuned to your work (as you see it).

If you are writing just for your own pleasure and to circulate between friends or colleagues, then self-publish and enjoy the process, and do whatever you like with language. It is unfortunate that the descriptive 'Vanity Publishing' is still used, but there is a measure of truth in it, insofar as it is done for your 'own vanity/pleasure' and there is absolutely nothing wrong in that.

However when dealing with Publisher's as a BUSINESS then this is a completely different matter. You may believe you have written the world's greatest masterpiece, and maybe you have, but at least get the odds down a little by approaching the Publisher you think is best. My own belief is that use of dialect with an' in-tune' Publisher is OK, but contacting one who isn't is a sheer waste of effort.

A final word if I may. Be honest with yourself and to your work. Seek opinions of others by all means but don't be dictated by them UNLESS you really think they would fit into your 'target group' for sales. Trying to take all criticisms on board will destroy any dynamism the work has. It is YOUR project and will stand or fall on that. Remember the old saw that 'a Camel is Horse designed by a Committee', the same applies when trying to please all people you end up pleasing no-one not even yourself!

Thank you Glyn :)

Vanessa, I've just sent you my thoughts about chapter 4. Check, it may have gone to your spam box.

lol ! Give us a chance ;) x

For me, only one team, Cymru am byth. Now Vanessa, if you write a novel set in Wales, I expect it to be in Welsh.

That is great, Brian.. I would love that :)

Yes, I'm shouting for Italy and France tomorrow and Scotland on Sunday, heavy hoarse weekend I suspect. I have just had typesetter's proofs of my forthcoming work come in between messages (plus a possible work offer) so the portents seem good to me. Write and be damned.

Great comments, gratefully received :) many thanks to all and have a lovely weekend ! Enjoy the Rugby, Glyn, don't worry, I'm in no rush, appreciate your time and willingness to help :) x

Vanessa, I agree with Carol. I have loads of Irish and Scots stuff, a bit of Welsh (not Cymru), ditto German in dialects, stacks of books in South American Spanish - which is different between countries and within them a bit. Dialects are good. Had a look at your 'offering' and as somebody who reviews academic books and articles regularly I would say you only need to put more 'landscape' in to give a sense of place and reminders/guidance and then go for the other 50 or so chapters but remember to keep the landscaping in often enough to continue to remind and expand the mind image of the place the characters fit into.

Carol, I think you are correct, character and setting.
Vanessa Iā€™ll get back to you asap, but it may not be until sunday. Rugby calls! (The Six Nations if youā€™re wondering.)

I know the joy I have when reading Irish novels....its an accent I adore, and in my head its what I am hearing.....because I know the setting is Dublin or similar...I worked in Birmingham for while and love the accent...again, as long as I know the setting and the character is explained...I can usually hear the accent without the dialect being written. The pattern of speech is important, that gives the accent more than anything else.

Hi Glyn I am just off to cry for a bit :) Thank you, I am thrilled. No, I don't have a publisher. I would love to hear your criticisms, please. Could you email me? I have an email address I don't mind giving out here.. vanessa_gill@rocketmail.com

Btw, if you have more time, I have another 50 chapters or so hehe

Many thanks Glyn, stay warm x

I am very honest when I read peopleā€™s work. Donā€™t see the point in being otherwise. From what Iā€™ve read Iā€™d like to read the whole lot. I canā€™t see a problem with the dialect. I think a reader would have to be pretty stupid not to understand it. I have minor criticisms, and I mean minor. I canā€™t make them here because Iā€™m on my ipad and not my desktop. But if you want I can. Do you have a publisher?

Uh oh !

Thanks Glyn, I'm ready lol ... x

Right, Iā€™m going to read it now. Be prepared for a grumpy comment!

Thanks Glyn, I know what you mean, it's so cold! I am huddled next to the woodburner with three layers of clothes on :) Cats are driving me nuts too! I am glad I began this discussion, it's such an interesting and highly debatable subject.

I have posted a few chapters of 'The Shelter' on my blog and would be interested to see what any of you think of my use of the dialect so far...

http://vanessagill.wordpress.com

Do you think I have overdone it?

Keep writing in dialect/accent to a minimum, it's hard to read and anything that makes it difficult for the reader just increases the chances they're going to give up.

It doesn't mean though that you have to have your charecters speaking in perfect Queen's English, listen to the cadence of how people speak - it's ofteen not grammatical, if you insert regional words or expressions occasionally it's enough to remind your reader that you're writing about a Brummie or a Liverpudlian

Iā€™m sorry if I sounded a grump. Iā€™m trying to get warm. Listening to some jazz and the dog wants in and out. My initial advice though have a think about. I understand Sonā€™s and Lovers because Iā€™m from that area, but I still find it quite hard work. It would be a shame if you lost your readership. I have read books in Scottish dialect that Iā€™ve given up on. When the film Kes was shown in America it was shown with subtitles. Come to think of it though I had no problem with the dialect in the novel Kes. I suppose, if people really want to read your novel they will. But there must be other ways of saying this is Birmingham, ie settings, The Bull Ring and so on.