1st July 2018- what's changing

Ive had two L R’ too, great fun!

1 Like

I had her for one summer…today I would have probably been stopped for no constraints on my kids and Collies…we often talk about the intrusion of the nanny state…my kids feel that they never came to any harm unrestrained and resent the 1.4m rule…30 years ago I drove my van with my firstborn wrapped in her shawl on the front seat and only my arm preventing her from falling off if I had reason to brake sharply…I still do it now…! If I brake sharply my arm automatically spreads out to stop freefall into the footwell…after the ex army Land Rover I had a short back Isuzu Trooper…visually appealing but nowhere near the fun of driving the land rover…x :slight_smile:

Hi Peter… no, 11th May is my “Saint’s Day”… yours would be 29th June I reckon…

I’m Aries as is my daughter who shares the same birthday with me… OH is Pisces… the mix works well, although we only view astrology in a light-hearted manner. :relaxed::wink:

In Portugal I had a Discovery, really comfortable, practical vehicle, but lacking the ‘character’ :rofl:

1 Like

This is at 40kph. There’s a very good reason for wearing seatbelts. If someone has no regard for their own safety then they should think about the safety of the other people in the car.

2 Likes

I once fell out of my dads car when I leaned on the passenger door which hadn’t been closed properly. Fortunately for me the car was going very slowly so just a few grazes etc. No question that seatbelts are safer.

4 Likes

Had a ‘head on’ years ago, I’m sure the outcome would have been more serious without my belt, only my new mini was written off :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The 80 limit hasn’t improved the tailgating problem, seems to have aggravated it if anything, from what I’ve seen, yesterday and today.
I can’t see it being beneficial at all, in any way.
Enforce the rules as they were, 'phones, etc first!

2 Likes

Driving up to La Charité sur Loire tomorrow, must keep repeating to self 80 -80 -80 !
Drove to a Brocante yesterday and forgot all about it, only when we were overtaken by a car doing 110 kmph, we were at 100kmph, did I realise ! Good job no cops about !:sweat:

3 Likes

It was many moons ago and in fact it was my daughter asking about French requirements (as she is bringing her two sons next time for their first holiday abroad) that then had us reminiscing about old times…they used to go hay baling and sit on top of wobbling bales of hay…the arguments with each other over who would sit in the front as my eldest daughter felt it should be her by virtue of being 2 years old but my youngest was taller… Anything that involves the words compulsory or mandatory will probably always set us off on a tangent debate when we’re all together…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, been out all day to pick OH up from Clermont. The only place that might have a change of speed limit sign was at our local speed camera - it’s not been changed, just removed. The " RAPPEL" is still there though. There was not a single 80 (or 90) sign to be seen.
Most drivers seem to be ignoring the new 80 limit, I was going with the flow at 90 +.

The speed camera just after the bend after Bergerac airport on the N21 heading south has had its lenses spraypainted.

plonkers

1 Like

It’s a real shame that the French government has had to make it compulsory to wear suitable gloves when riding powered two wheelers. It’s a real shame that they could not rely on users having some common sense. The law is not an example of the nanny state protecting people’s hands, it’s because paramedics are fed up with having to waste so much time treating unnecessary injuries. Please don’t think that modern advances in road safety are a waste of time.

3 Likes

Even in ‘ot Portugal, I wore leathers ont’ Bike, 'elped wen I fell off it there, so sad to see kids on bikes, scooters here in silly shorts etc, no idea how vunerable ‘skin’ is :cry:

2 Likes