31st December – 1st January: A Death in the Family

Thank you for your kind sentiments, Brian. I found it rather heartbreaking to read of your experience, too. Rest assured, though, we are already talking of a new dog. Probably in the spring. Alf will be irreplaceable, of course, but the world is alas full of dawgs that need a loving home. We're going to get a slightly smaller hound next time, because there will come a time when we may have to lift him or her into the car and we'll be well into our dotage by then, so need to consider our lifting capacity. Poor Myrtle (pictured above) is discombobulated without her canine friend. Daisy, who spent the last fortnight of his life sleeping with Alf on his bedding, seems to be more philosophical about it. She's 'my' cat - she loves men, being an incorrigible flirt - so she just comes up here and gets onto my lap or into her reconditioned laundry basket. Happy New Year, Brian. I wish you many more happy walks with four-footed friends. Bless their pads.

It breaks my heart reading that. I have had so many dogs I still miss, some more than others. We having the making of a cemetery where the dog we brought with us who last a few sad weeks is buried. I had her 18 years and a bit, my older daughter was eight but thought of her as 'her' dog. She visits the grave every so often. Now it has been joined by 'my' cat. At least he only really liked me. He wandered around 1km to the main road where he was hit. I was on the way to collect my sister and niece when I spotted him. On the way back I picked him up, my friend before hospitality. That is the second cat that was really 'close' to me who died that way. The previous one was hit before my eyes. I sat with her dying, the GSD I had then who was her friend with me being puzzled about why she was not licking him then lost when he could not wake her up. Now I have spent Christmas gathering the strength to go to get a new cat since the other only considers me a source of food. The dogs don't really care. Also, my GSD is getting old and when his time comes it will break my heart.

Sad stories all, I dislike anthropomorphism intensely but they are for whatever reason part of the family. I miss every one since my memory stretches back far enough to include them all, their character, their loves and hates, famous walks and wonderful days just being together. Rich memories are sometimes dampened by sad ends, the loss and the gaping hole that it brings.

So yes, I deeply, deeply sympathise. However, give yourself time to breathe then replace him but remember him. It is not disloyalty, it is giving another dog a memorable life and continuing the pleasure of canine company. I preach that but am terrible at practising it, at least I believe it and now that my life is slowing down next time that is what I shall do. It is like continuum theory which explains variation involving gradual quantitative transition without abrupt change or discontinuity. One life flows into another and since we are part of that we overlap, in my strange way I wish the overlapping lasted longer. However, I will have my memories to my own end.

For all of that, it is a sad parting for you and all I can offer is sympathy.