40th Birthday road trip

The day I commenced my 40th year I relaunched my blog with "Welcome back to the French Village Diaries" and have posted just over 40 posts since then.

The majority of my friends (and hubby Ade) have already reached their big 40 (or will have done by the time mine arrives this September). They have all celebrated in different ways; some have had a self-confessed mid-life crisis and got things like tattoos done, my brother-in-law remarried a week after his and Ade's we celebrated with an 8 day driving holiday in Gizmo our Mini Cooper to the south of France. I even remember the party we had to celebrate Dad's 40th and his friends bought him a walking stick - back then 40 seemed really old! I think it is time I started planning what to do!

Having a September birthday and a love of driving holidays and wine, a vineyard tour at harvest time seems the obvious choice. The next question is which area? Do we stay relatively close to home and wend our way in Gizmo amongst the best Bordeaux has to offer; Medoc, St Emillion, Margaux? Do we head north to the lovely Loire and stay in a chateau and sample a Sancerre or two? Maybe we should make the most of the September sun and enjoy the rosés of Provence with the Med as a backdrop? But lets not forget the lovely holidays we had many years ago in the Cotes du Rhone region.....

Being so indecisive I am open to suggestions - what areas of la belle France would you recommend for September driving holiday?

Time to stick the map of France on the wall, open a bottle and get planning!

Thanks Miriam - for Ade’s birthday trip we stayed one night in Carcassone then drove through the Camargue to Arles, and it was beautiful. I know the south of France gets Ade’s vote!