7 days of B&B meals.... for Germans

Hi Teresa

How about some really good wholesome soups. Minestrone is always filling and cheap, potato and leek, carrot and corriander, pumpkin (if there are still some around), French onion (fill them up with the floating toasted bread and cheese on top)! You can make most of these in advance. Apple Strudal with lots of sultanas and cinnamon, again cheap and filling. I'm sure you are more than capable of thinking up delicious possibilities - Good luck and happy cooking!

thanks C... i WILL blame you... i think it's very odd to book meals for such a long time when you've never eaten there before? if they don't like dinner (or indeed us) on the first night it'll be a long week.

still, all good experience...

I know very little about German tastes and even less about cooking (!) but always try to help :)

We went on a press trip to Bavaria a couple of years ago and I was really surprised by how 'light' many of the meals were. Lots of cold meats, salads and smoked fish - very delish - so maybe don't worry too much about going heavy duty and just cook what you feel comfortable with. And if they storm out on day 2, you can blame me...!

thanks Sarah - great ideas and advice - you know when your mind goes blank???!!! i have some red cabbage lingering in the garden - brilliant idea for a starter - stew idea too - i'm thinking i'd like to do a few things in advance or it'll be a whole week in the kitchen... fish pie - fabulous idea

x teresa

Hi Teresa

There are some good recipes with Toulouse sausage (not just bangers and mash) on the BBC Good Food website such as this one

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3949/toulouse-sausage-and-butter-bean-casserole

and this one

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7552/sausage-casserole-with-garlic-toasts

You could serve winter coleslaw with red cabbage, apple, nuts etc as a starter on a couple of days. There are lots of recipes with red cabbage on the Beeb too.

I'd also go for a hearty beef stew, maybe even with Yorkshire puds and that sort of thing. As far as can remember, Germans like hearty food. If you want to serve fish, I'd do it in a pie form, for example.

For desserts, how about bread and butter pudding, fresh fruit salad, pear tart, apple purée with biscuits?

I hope you manage to sort it out. You may also put on some weight...

Good luck!