A day of shame, the liar triumphs and the Met facilitates it

Urgh I can’t remember old money except my father talking about shillings and half crowns and guineas (he was involved with racehorses). And I don’t see the points of ounces and pounds and stones at all.
The Gaulois used base 20, look where it got them.

1 Like

But quite surprisingly 1cwt = exactly 50kg (I remember 1cwt bags of cement!)

Almost exactly, it’s 50.802345kg, so actually closer to 51kg and the “centum” which was the approximate European equivalent was not consistently defined between jurisdictions anyway.

See Hundredweight - Wikipedia

As I said, fascinating but there are better systems, to go back to “Imperial” (even then the correct terms is a French one - Avoirdupois) is a retrograde step dressed up as some sort of liberating change made possible by Brexit (which EU membership didn’t even really prevent).

EDIT - worth noting that, as well as the 50kg “concordance” 1 ton is almost exactly 1000kg as well.

Yeah, let’s have those back as well :smiling_imp:

In for a penny in for two hundred and fourty pence, as they say.

1 Like

problem: most of the numskulls (whom de Pfeffle is addressing) have a problem counting in base 10 anyway, let alone more complex numeric systems of which they have no experience from their schooling (if they even bothered to go) :roll_eyes:
It’s a further opportunity for ripping people off and sod all to do with the Sovereign’s jubilee

1 Like

Possibly - I think it’s more to do with sovrinty though, innit?

I.e that faux sovereignty (the real version of which we had and never lost) but was used as a dog whistle for certain swaths of the population who might have had difficulty spelling it, much less understanding the concepts.

much like the “entitled” scouse gits who think that they can dictate to Paris Police and the CRS about access to Stad de France without buying a ticket from an authorised source?

3 Likes

I’m sure that went well? :smiling_imp:

I think they learnt that you can’t argue too well with the CRS with a night stick in their hand :rofl:

Hmmmm sounded like the whole thing was badly handled and many other people who had been innocently queuing for hours were pepper sprayed. (Including a journalist)

Their reputation preceded them :wink:
tens of thousands of Liverpool supporters were there without a valid ticket, gumming up the turn styles and trying to enter illegally climbing over security fences so why blame the Police for maintaining public order :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Now where have I heard that before?

at almost every “event” they attend…

1 Like

Okay. I’ll let you get back the Sun :wink:

2 Likes
1 Like

Even independent people are saying it was nothing to do with Liverpool fans , but was very poorly organised from the start

3 Likes

Police Officers have every right to expect that they will go home at the end of a shift to their family unharmed and when faced with marauding yobbish behaviour especially when they are seriously outnumbered, they have to take decisive action to avoid it getting out of control.
The match took place, public order was maintained and to somehow suggest that Police acted improperly in the face of the potential for significant illegality is not to respect the principles of law and order.
That might be de rigour for the UK, but it is not to be tolerated in Europe.

1 Like

I think you have not actually looked at the facts about the event.

Moreover just as people/fans should not act inappropriately, in no circumstances should police indiscriminately pepper spray fans who are waiting patiently (part of their job is to differentiate!) There have been too many incidences of this and it has nothing to do with wishing to return safely to their families.

1 Like

I bet these police officers using their pepper spray felt really unsafe behind their big iron railings! :roll_eyes: Have you actually seen any of the footage or are you just relying on your own prejudices against football fans?

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s football fans or Liverpudlians there’s a prejudice against