A Forum NBBM might be interesting

well let’s call a spade a spade :wink: :rofl:

edit : sorry James but it was too good not to pinch and post

1 Like

One person’s vile and invective is another person’s reasoned argument :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why subject yourself to that? Wasn’t living in Stevenage (unless you were in the nice bit) painful enough for you?

Calm down Izzy, now you’re delirious !!!

1 Like

Happily it was a new development in the new town so not one of the original miserable estates. It was quite nice.
Izzy x

1 Like

Copying and pasting articles from the Guardian isn’t a ‘reasoned argument’ Cat, it’s a reason for John to get up in the morning.

6 Likes

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Tim - There seems to be a faction on here that use the Guardian newspapers reportage and their own prejudice to form opinions while aggressively attacking any opposing views . I was looking for some interesting and intelligent debate about what went on in Paris on Saturday evening instead we got the usual hackneyed responses assigning the blame squarely on the Liverpool supporters before all the facts were known.

The relegation of St Etienne yesterday led to some apalling behaviour from their fans during a pitch invasion and an extraordinary underwhelming response from the forces of Law and Order - It seems to me that the French police are completely overwhelmed and badly trained in dealing with football crowds.

3 Likes

Common sense at last!

Would it be possible to discourage or even ban the use of four letter words such as those in the image post? It is neither funny nor clever and most of the people on here have much more to offer intellectually.

1 Like

Aargh football. Out of the frying pan into the fire:-)

2 Likes

Yes, and that is normally the case which is why I put in an edit to James. But the image posted is not my work, it’s from Private Eye, a little blunt perhaps but I couldn’t resist it, it’s a masterpiece! In any case, sometimes you just have to leave the politically correct intellectual world behind and say it as it is, and when Bojo is concerned, let’s tell it as it is.

7 Likes

Genuine question is there a way of hiding that sort of thing so people can see a warning before they look at it?

1 Like

I hope not

2 Likes

Why ?

It’s only just dawning on me that I use SurviveFrance in a completely different way from many - perhaps most. If a thread, or a post doesn’t interest me I just don’t read it!
This is helped by the fact that I have disabled all push notifications - actually on all social media (except private family/friends groups). For me, I guess, all threads are muted!

This is my advice - if something doesn’t interest you, or you actively dislike it - just ignore it!

Or is there is a further issue here?
Perhaps the wish not only to exercise your own choices, but also to control what other people say and do?

9 Likes

Who is forcing you to do this Kirstea?

Fair comment, but most forums have their ‘ I hate the UK’ posters. They amuse me as they have never broken the umbilical with “home”. But they are basically boring prats!

They amuse and bore you?

2 Likes

I’ve just had a hunt through the discourse admin settings and there doesn’t appear to be anything that does exactly that, no. Posts can be flagged and hidden, or users can use the hide/ blur plugins to hide their posts until clicked, but those are generic features obviously, not specifically related to ‘sensitive content’.

Discourse is very sensitive to interfering with things like discoverability, preferring to have things that are either one side or the other of the rules and so if content crosses a line it can be flagged, although on my forum we’ve removed the flagging feature entirely as we believe grown adults should behave as such and not run to those in charge, snitching in effect, rather deal with it themselves, and it’s worked so far for us luckily.

1 Like

As an adult I prefer to censor for myself ,rather then have someone else decide what I can
or cannot see or read. I don’t live in a make belief world where there is no swearing.

7 Likes