A Hot Day Out

">

We were footloose and fancy free this weekend as Eve was off to Les Sables D’Olonne for a pop concert so we decided to take out a jaunt out to Chinon for lunch.

We settled at a shady table at the Cafe des Arts in the central square and had a leisurely lunch watching the world go by.

As I seem to spend my life hiding from the sun, I thought that the shady spot would be an ideal place to pass an afternoon. Not so. The heavy canvas parasols that were shading us just served as heat traps and I felt myself getting warmer and warmer.

Although we enjoyed our meal, we decided to move on as my husband suggested the cool arbour that is the Caves de Monplaisir for a wine tasting. The ancient caves carved out of the cliffs were wonderfully cool which aided the enjoyment of the wine tasting.

We bought a refreshing Chardonnay and went on our way, although I was a bit reluctant to leave the cool environment of the caves.

We headed out towards Cande St. Martin and stumbled upon Le Chateau du Petit Thouars, so we decided to call in.

We drove though the gates and slowly ascended an impressive drive which dropped away to our left onto stunning parkland. Owned by the du Petit Thouars family it is still their home, and the wine production has added yet another chapter to this family’s history.

Their Reserve 2008 struck us as a winner, so we bought a few bottles , lingered over the wonderful views and bade our farewells.

Our last stop was aside the Chateau de Montsoreau at the Hotel le Bussy for a cool drink on their stunning chateau overlooking the river.

We spied people like ants scurrying around the parapets of the chateau nearby and watched the boats glide slowly downriver, carrying eager tourists on to their next destination.

The temperature was in the low 30′s and storm clouds had begun to gather, so it was time to head back to the car and homeward bound.

We made it ahead of the rains and watched it clatter down from the comfort of our lounge.

We were cool at last, but replete on good memories from the day.