A little advice needed

@vicky you might want to get in touch with @anon90504988 He supplies cars and is trustworthy and honest.

2 Likes

Tim!!! Thank you for a wonderful and positive response!! And as we are vitrually town twins, I have taken on board everything you have said.
So…Yes, I think as Big Blue has served me so well, she is worth the repair. It will keep her going until the next CT and in the mean time I will save like crazy. My wonderful dad is stepping up to cover the cost of repair for me, which is amazing!
I actually got Big Blue from the UK and I will more than likely buy from the UK again. Second hand cars are a ridiculous price over here!!!
As for ‘wheel kickers’. I have some wonderful friends that will help me.
Once again THANK YOU!!! xxx

Thanks James! Do you know you’re wonderful!!! I have however decided the a repair is best for the time being. But I will most certainly keep this in mind when I come to the inevitable time when I need to replace my beloved Big Blue!
Thank you so much for your continued help on this. It really is very much appreciated! xxx

Hi Vicky,
I am not very far from you (just outside Chalais) and I am a registered garagiste. You can contact me & tell me what your car needs & I can price it for you. Registration need not cost a fortune depending on the details on your V5. Although I do sometimes have some good cheap cars for sale it might be better to stick with the devil you know!
My costs are far less than many garages here as my workshop is at my house.
@James, thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Thanks! You’re welcome, good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

One more thing! Unless your car is dangerous, I suggest that the first thing you do is have a CT done. The CT testers use special equipment to test all the important bits which garages do not have. It will fail on headlights, but if it fails on other items too you have a “tick list” of things which need replacing. Just repair these bits & do not worry about the advisories. The benefit of this is that you only repair what you really need to, you can go ahead & register the car anyway AND if the work is completed within 2 months the retest is free. Oh, & unless the CT people say otherwise you can legally still use the car on the road. Garages here do like to spend your money.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, Yep I have actually done that. She did fail but I have a start point! Thanks for the advice. I took her to the one in Chalais near Lidl. They were really good with me as I was obviously a little lost! Anyway, I have her booked in to Chalais Citroen garage on Monday for the week. They will also be able to loan me a car so that I can still move!
Honestly, thank you so much for this though. VERY much appreceiated. xxx

Frightenly expensive!!! For a week???
What is actually required? (CT station just 3 kms from me & yes, they are firm but fair) Please tell me that they are not supplying your headlights? These are about 80 euros a pair on french eBay.

1 Like

I highly recommend you let @anon90504988 help you out with this @vicky :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you like I can pop round to you & have a quick look now. I just want to make sure that you have not been slightly misled. It has been known to happen! Or call me on 05 45 78 47 62 (I think that is allowed, James?)

2 Likes

Have I missed something? I’d presumed that the old faithful car was already French registered so why the comments about headlights?

1 Like

I think you are right, David, got confused with the talk of importing etc.

On a separate issue, if one needs a C of C for any reason - like the type/variant (D2) missing on your V5C - these people provide an “independent” C of C for use in Europe, in english or french, for £65. Cheekily called DVLA Advice & Admin services (they are not part of DVLA at all) the few customers who have used them have had no problem with their acceptance. http://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/

2 Likes

Hi again! Sorry, only just saw this Mark! Thank you so much for the lovely offer! Re: headlights, yes, already had them done when I imported her, but they do need a little adjustment. On the plus side I know exactly where to come if I have more problems!
Thank you again. xxx

1 Like

It is not a wonky Skoda.
Did I say that?
It is a very good but large car.
I no longer need it.
The tires are new. It passed it’s service technique recently.
It’s been sitting for about a year and I made fed up with it, so why not give it to somebody in need.
WONKY. I’ve searched my documents and see no such reference. It’s not a word I would use.

1 Like

Thank you Stella for this guidance. It really helps.
I’m probably going to give it to the local garagiste who has been a faithful assistant in difficult situations, e.g. I hit a huge pothole on an unlighted dark lane in a sleet storm. He came and towed me out and then we sat in the icy storm and ate a homemade cake I was transporting from Croatia

Censorship on the forum. March 16th.

http://www.survivefrance.com/t/censorship-on-the-forum/251/66?u=james

Hi, I don’t have any car advice, but I would have if you were in Australia.

I just wanted to wish you well in your new adventure. Be brave, go forward and don’t look back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Sonya! Ooooooo, I could really do with being in Austraila right now!!! Lucky you!!! xxx

If Victoria doesn’t want to or cannot follow up I would be very interested in knowing more about the Skoda - model, age, mileage etc.

You say it needs to be registered in France - is this because you drove it over from UK? In which case are the headlights going to have to be changed (this was an expensive process - around €400+ - when I moved here 7+ years ago bringing my UK Renault Megane with me - which is now failing - but necessary to obtain its CT in order to get the carte grise from the prefecture).

I live in Landes (40) - and you?