A must read for many

I know that this does not come from an official source but my wife just drew my attention to this and I believe it will allow some people to see the next few months more clearly. Interestingly early on it mentions the confusion over the word ‘deal’ that @tim17 and I were talking about earlier.
https://britishineurope.org/2020/01/21/the-withdrawal-agreement/

4 Likes

Open it as a PDF to read it easily.

That is a really useful factual document. If you find it helpful, be sure to make a donation!

1 Like

Most informative, thanks. :+1:

First impact, which I hadn’t appreciated/realised (though I would have if I’d thought about it!) ; can’t vote in Feb’s municipales.

:no_mouth:

A most useful document which I hope will be widely read.

I asked about this (voting) at my mairie just last week. The secretary told me that they had a meeting on the very topic just recently with the Prefecture, but still didn’t know exactly what was going to happen. She was kind enough to say that she would drop me a line, when she did know for sure. She told me that currently, voter lists are compiled and operated by the INSEE (the office for national statistics, for those who might not know), following a 2016 law that created a “Role Electoral Unique” under management of the INSEE, and the mairies receive the electoral roll from the INSEE. Ergo, if we are no longer on the electoral roll provided by the INSEE, then we will no longer be entitled to vote. I imagine that those lists will be sent out very shortly, if not already. In my commune, the current municipal council has resigned en bloc, and no one has yet to put their name into the hat to create a new one. This means that the commune will be made to be dependent on a nearby other commune that still has and is still presenting a council (8km away). So much for representation ! In the grand scheme of things, I can imagine that one or two UK electors being removed from the list is going to be the least of my commune’s worries.

1 Like

I checked this morning with the Mairie to see if I’m still / already on the list of voters…it seems that I am, & should be receiving my card any day now

1 Like

Which flies in the face of the advice provided in the PDF by BritishinEurope…

The lady at the Mairie told me that “Brexit”, (though, that’s not how she pronounced it) might only make a difference in the presidentials…but that is something else, entirely.
However, my card may still not arrive…who knows?!

But we’ve never been able to vote in them anyway

Exactly. But she wondered why I’d asked the question, based on no longer being in the EU

There’s only one list to vote for in my commune anyway, so my vote wouldn’t make a jot of difference . Still, not the point really. It’ll be interesting to see if our cards arrive d’hab in the post… I suspect they won’t but I note what @RicePudding says above and maybe they will :confused:

I don’t think there is any doubt about the legal position that only EU citizens can vote in the Municipales and we will not be EU citizens after 31st January. However, that does not mean that the administration will always get it right and some people may well find they are on the list and have their vote accepted.

If anyone votes, who does NOT have the right to do so (for whatever reason) … the Election in that Commune will be void and have to be re-done.

As I have reported elsewhere, we were informed that INSEE would be pulling-the-plug on all Brits (on the Electoral Roll in their computer ) 31/01/2020… unless France votes in a new law which would allow Brits to remain on the French Electoral Roll…

and it is INSEE who deliver/send out the ERolls to the Communes…

Exactly what I’ve been told too. I’m going to miss being a conseiller municipal and all the trappings that came with it, all those drinks, payments, bribes etc :joy:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Funny you should mention that. The proprietor of the bar across the street from us reckons that the bill he sends to our Mairie in respect of booze is about €1,000 a month ! Must be all those glasses of Vin d’Honneur I suppose.

1 Like

And verres d’amitié which, here in Normandy, are liberally sloshed, splashed, gushed and slurped. This tendency quite took me aback (for a brief period of adjustment) as I always thought the French were rather reverent about wine and how it is served, swirled, sniffed, sipped as a bee sips nectar, rolled round the buccal cavity etc etc.

It is mainly just guzzled.:smiley:

As in every country… not all folk behave in the same way. Here in our commune, I have noticed those who guzzle and those who don’t… and it crosses all nationalities.

In our Commune, any refreshments at Council Meetings are provided by council members and thus do not cost the council/rates-payers anything. Refreshments at Public Meetings called by the council… are, indeed, paid for by the council (which gains funds from rates-payers and govt). Those who guzzle, mistakenly think that the drinks are free… :wink: The vin d’honneur was rarely just vin. These days it is more often a tasty kir … which they seem to enjoy with just as much relish, but it is less alcoholic that some of the booze that used to be on offer.

I was a Parish Councillor back in UK… our meetings in the village hall never included refreshments of any kind :roll_eyes:… although we would sometimes go down the pub afterwards… :relaxed: :relaxed:

Quite, if you make your Kir the trad way with 1/5 crème de cassis (NOT sirop) and 4/5 Bourgogne Aligoté it works out at about 13%. You make a Communard the same way but with red, also nice.

1 Like