A new record

1 Like

Wow… BiLaw will have been watching that auction with interest… (I’m fairly sure he is NOT the Buyer… :wink:).
He did have a beautiful old gullwing some years back, but obviously not (quite) in that price range…
On the other hand… he would only let me drive it around his property but NOT on the road…
I thought he was just a spoilsport, but perhaps he was protecting his investment :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

Somewhere I have a shot of 300SL #722, the Moss/Jenkinson record breaking winner of the 1955 Mille Miglia. That must be worth about the same.

That Merc does rather put the Ferrari 250 SWB’s in the shade. This one went for £38m

Nick [Pink Floyd] Mason had 4 of these at one time. Good investment as only 19 were made. He occasionally did the school run in one.

I saw Damon Hill driving one of Mason’s 250 SWB’s at The Goodwood Revival weekend. He retired. “I went for 5th and got - ummm - 3rd” :boom::anguished::moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

One of these was sold privately for $70m

1 Like

Moss was a true gentleman and Jenks is one of my favourite motoring authors, I have quite a few of his books and reprints of his Motorsport articles.

Of course Moss’ sister was a wonderful driver in her own right. Another motoring writer I used to enjoy and had the pleasure of bumping into in FIAT, Brentford was LJK Setright.

Duplicate of above post :roll_eyes:

LJK and the art historian/critic Roy Strong shared the same moustache and beard until LKJ grew the navel length beard.

LJK

Roy Strong

Mossy owned the house next to where I lived in London SW7. My flat was first floor with balcony - very useful for DIY. I often saw him arrive on a scooter with his box of tools and cleaning stuff. He bought the last bomb-site on Park Lane. The house he had built there was full of electric gizmos. I remember reading that girlfriends were very impressed as a TV descended by an electric hoist, thru’ a panel in the bedroom ceiling.

I s’pose I could have hailed him and become acquainted but in that neck of the London woods one was always seeing ‘someone’. One of the things that American musicians and actors particularly like about London is that, like their British counterparts, by and large they can get around without being bothered.

I remember the bomb sites all over as a kid.

Perhaps I should have had just one more bid, but as with most auctions I set my limit & was determined not to go above…

2 Likes

Very wise Mark. I hear they can be lethal on the limit.