A no-deal Brexit spells trouble for Emmanuel Macron

The affects are showing already just look at value of the pound down 10% - this makes quite a difference when buying a house.

3 Likes

Presumably in the same way that they have affected mine.
Depressed and worried about our future.
I came to France for several reasons.
To be nearer our daughter.
I love the country and we have more space here.
For an adventure in retirement.
Because I believe in Europe and I wanted to be more a part of it.
Now those who have voted Leave will take away my Freedom of Movement and that of everyone else.
There is uncertainty about so many things, no one seems to know the answers.
I am totally astonished if you cannot see that is affecting our lives.

7 Likes

You’re joking, right?
Where should the list begin?
The removal of FoM (ask Jane how this affects her life)
The need for a massive paper trail in order to apply for a CdS previously not required for EU citizens
The threat of loss of healthcare rights

aww shit… you know what Tim, I can’t be arsed. You are just playing fast and loose with my health and well being and I am deeply shocked that you should feel you have the right to do so :rage:

12 Likes

download

3 Likes

I said ‘as of now’ not what may or may not happen and the question was aimed specifically at Simon who seems to think it’s okay to be abusive to others who’s opinion differs from his. I’m fully aware that after the 29th of March certain things will change no matter what but there’s eff all I can do about it in the same way as I can do eff all about many thinks in life.

2 Likes

and that was my response - based on that statement.

1 Like

How am I affecting your ‘health and well being’ Graham?

That’s your view and not mine.

1 Like

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave earlier…

3 Likes

Very good Theresa.:grinning:

But you have to open both eyes to see clearly, @Hilary_Jane_Dunk, and to look a little deeper.

John Keiger has published a few papers on this subject but that does not make him an expert. As far as I can see he has made the “English” mistake in assuming that loss of trade to the UK is a total loss. This isn’t true. Much of the trade between UK and EU is based on price and volume not specification - remember all goods made in the EU are subject to the same “type approval” regulations (a huge benefit for all member states and one that the UK is giving up god knows why). So, a large proportion of French exports to the UK that don’t survive the transit friction/potentially increased tariffs will not be lost they will simply lose margin in placing contracts with other EU members, or in the case of wine dumping it n the Far East/continue to sell in UK at less margin or higher prices.

Compared to the UK the EU market, including trade deals, is vast and the EU will quicky adapt. The UK on the otherhand will be left to the mercy of increasingly constrained terms of trade with the rest of the world. (If you don’t believe this take a look at what’s been achieved by the REACH regulations to make us all safer and consider how this safety is going to be maintained in deals with the RoW).

P.S. This is the point about the Irish border that UK politicians generally discount - the UK can only benefit from being an off-shore cheap cash n carry for substandard goods for bth domestic consumption and export to the EU if goods can freely pass into the EU. When JRM says he wants a trade deal with the EU this is the situation that he would like to bring about. The EU would be “nuts” to let that happen under the disguise of the GFA, or by any other means. EU’s vast market and reputation for the highest consistent quality can only be protected from cheap dumped substandard goods by a Customs Union with the UK - but even I agree that that is not Brexit so the impasse will continue right up to and past the end of March. The choice of leaving with a “deal” has never really been an option - any deal that does not include regulatory alignment is a bad deal for the EU and any deal that does isn’t Brexit, besides which we already enjoy all the benefits of a better deal. Why should UK interests prevale at the EU’s expense???

7 Likes

Exactly, it is the UK that has decided to leave the Club.

1 Like

Martin. There’s a lot for me to ‘check out’ in your post (thanks for that)…and so many ‘experts’ disagreeing…we will only really know the true outcome, by going through the process…
It will no doubt take some time, but I don’t accept thathe UK will not eventually prosper outside the EU - as do others who are not part of it.
I will let everyone get on with their weekend now and leave off responding, at least for a while. Thanks.

I cannot understand what supporters of Brexit are doing living in my country which adheres to a system they loathe, when they should logically be in their own country, which they have now ‘got back’, actively helping it to prosper.

26 Likes

I really don’t give a fig that the UK will eventually prosper, what about now.
People had to live through austerity, they don’t need any more hardship.
I am worried about my family in UK now, not my great grandchildren.

4 Likes

Bravo

8 Likes

That’s a double like from me Vero xxxx

3 Likes

Succinct and to the point.
We no longer have anything to with such a person.

Maybe you should consider the consequences of recommending “going through the process” Hillary?

Is a car crash at 120kph most likely to be suvivable? Lots of “experts” say no and some no doubt say yes but given your obvious disdain for “experts” maybe you should go out and find a nice wall to run your car into. Then you could be sure because you would have “gone through the process”.

You might survive and prove your view of experts right. Or, like JRM’s pronoucements on the UK economy, take 40 odd years of lost opportunities to recover.

Time to start thinking like an adult and not a child, je pense. (This is not an insult - my very bright grand-daughter frequently argues with a similar lack of depth. Doesn’t make her stupid or her views less worthy of consideration but while she is just not thinking the problem through she will never reach the correct solution (except by accident :smile:) and neither will you).

Good luck with your “car crash” experiement, be sure to let Wavy Mayvy know how you get on so she can make the right decision about her own planned “crash”.

1 Like

beware of experts :wink:

experts

1 Like