A no-deal Brexit spells trouble for Emmanuel Macron

I guess I’m one of few that thinks the UK has to go through the Brexit process (with as little pain as possible) to simply avoid more years of uncertainty and tribal politics.

Actually @tim17 it wont change a fucking thing…
The years of uncertainty and division will continue.

2 Likes

I’m not sure Graham, business as a whole will at least be able to plan for the future and the government can get back to running the country which is what the vast majority of people want them to do as they are sick and tired of having Brexit rammed down their throats every day.

'I feel like a heist has been carried out on my country," says one of the men behind the billboard campaign that is sweeping the UK…(click pic for story)

original

4 Likes

DTv68uqU8AAU8ZN

4 Likes

Absolutely - that one post from @vero encapsulates exactly the feeling I have towards UK immigrants in France who voted for Brexit. I will refer to it / use it often in the future. :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

They are doing that already… leaving in droves!

3 Likes

Or going bust…

1 Like

Another rat leaving the sinking ship…

Surprise surprise…

To be frank, I have been seriously considering following his example. I am not rich (by any means) but Flo and I do have a small business. I feel that there are better opportunities for that business within the EU than here in UK (or Engerland, as it will eventually become). The next 12 months will make my mind up.

If, as I believe, disposable incomes become less in the UK due to this debacle, then our little business just wont survive here. We have very good customers all over the EU (we are off to a large trade show to exhibit on 29th March - ironic eh?) and I feel that we can best serve them by being based in the EU. Our costs will be cheaper too!

6 Likes

It will be interesting to follow how the next year goes for your business. I hope you will post about your experiences.

6 Likes

Can you tell me what kind of business you are talking about Carl so that I have a better understanding of what you are saying?

Sure Mick - We design, fabricate and sell kits for radio control model boats, plus accessories for same and model railways (particularly ‘N’ scale). Much of our raw material comes from the EU (Poland and Germany particularly) - design, 90% of fabrication and 100% assembly of prototypes is done ‘in house’. In the main, for the boats only the fibreglass hulls are contracted out - all else is produced on site.

Over the last three years or so, over 50% of our customers have been mainland Europe based. I have no idea what sort of costs we would have to add should tariffs and such come in, but just getting the raw materials from Poland would be expensive enough.

Like I said, I will see how things pan out over the next 12 months and make a decision then.

C

1 Like

He will have trouble paying back 17.1m people tricked by his malfeasance and gerrymandering.

Personally, I’d leave the UK & let 'em sweat

I understood it was the ROI which would suffer the greatest economic impact. As things stand however, Dublin is also one of the major recipients of financial services leaving or, like JRM’s Co, setting up EU branches. The Spectator is not my first port of call for unbiased information.

And Hear hear Veronique!

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-15/brexit-such-good-business-for-dutch-that-watchdog-needs-to-grow

2 Likes

Thank you Carl, yes it makes a lot of sense to review your situation.
Things are a bit different for my Ltd UK company, run it from France but all it’s income is UK generated which works for me but after Brexit The company will have to move it’s head office back to the UK which is not a major problem but it is a bloody inconvenience for me.

1 Like

I love this report, Melanie. but then I would as it basically says everything we were predicting before the referendum :slight_smile: . I don’t see any references to ROI here, am I just not reading this carefully enough? Or, do you have another source?

Hi Martin,
The ref to ROI is in the impact assessment report from the EU I referenced & shown in the graph from that report I posted as being most impacted by brexit. Of course some of the impact is now being mitigated by the vast numbers of businesses which are moving into the EU and out of the U.K altogether, setting up EU offices, registering as EU businesses instead of U.K. businesses & investing within the EU instead of the U.K. some of these are widely publicised whilst others are slipping out with minimum publicity to protect their interests or, no doubt, because of the numerous gagging orders being used in unprecedented quantities by the government to suppress dissent.