A Recipe For Those with rhubarb in the Garden

Here is the link for a super pudding for those of you with rhubarb in the garden.
Rhubarb can replace the gooseberries in the recipe.
It is like a clafoutis, but you separate the eggs and whisk the whites, so that the end result is lighter.

Can’t access the recipe…seems to be behind a paywall or subscriber block. Shame as we have lots of rhubarb.

Moi aussi… Tantalizing. I can get to the web page, but after a second elapses, a window comes up that blocks viewing access unless I subscribe. Sounds good though. Cheers!

On a slight tangent :slightly_smiling_face:, I have only one rhubarb plant coming up this year and I would love to have four or five… I got some rhubarb seeds at the grocery store but have never grown rhubarb from seed before. Would anyone happen to know if it’s tricky to grow them this way?

Here is the recipe, which from my old book is in ounces, but which I am converting.
Plain flour: 100-125 gr of plain flour (4oz)
pinch salt
2eggs
25g sugar
225 -350 g of fresh rhubarb (1/2 to 3/4 lb fresh rhubarb
25g butter (1oz)
castor sugar

Oven temperature: 200 C or 180 fan, depending upon your own oven

Make a well in a mixing basin with the sieved flaoand salt. Mix the egg yolks with the milk and keep the whites in a separate basin to be beaten later.
Gradually add the milk/egg mixture as for making a batter and then add the sugar and the washed and chopped rhubarb. You can leave the mixture to stand at this stage.
Put the butter into a 1.1 litres/ 2pint shallow baking dish (Iuse a small roasting tin) and put into the pre-heated oven until bubbling hot. whilst the butter is melting, whisk the egg whites until stiff and with a metal spoon fold into the batter and immediately pour your mixture into your prepared tin.
Bake for 30 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
Dredge with castor sugar and serve with cream (if you have any).

When I thought about making this recipe I couldn’t remember where I had found it before, so I googled it and found it in my old Times Cookery Book. Perhaps they don’t like using the link, but if you google it separately, you could perhaps print out this recipe.

We finished our second pudding yesterday, delicious.

1 Like

Thanks.

I think I have been put off rhubarb for life. All the veg for meals at my prep school was grown in the kitchen garden. One year there was a massive glut of rhubarb. The cook made rhubarb tart, rhubarb crumble, rhubarb jam - rhubarb everything. And it kept on coming. It’s a wonder we had any enamel left on our teeth by the end of that summer term.

But rhubarb crumble with custard is very nice

1 Like

I feel much the same about plaice. My Dad caught it with his trawl but wouldn’t have his boat registered, so we had to give it away and it was my job to go round the neighbours with a bucket of fish,

Hmmm…rhubarb dish didn’t turn out quite as expected! Tasted ok, but looks a bit weird.

2 Likes

so long as it tastes good… it is a winner… :slight_smile:

It looks as though you have put into too big a dish.
It gives six good portions and that looks as though it could do eight.
It should turn out like a laighter version of a clafoutis.

I think photo is deceiving, its 6 portions. I sort of expected it to be more bubbly like a yorkshire pud rather than flat. Inside it is quite light, so maybe oven is too hot.

It is not as aerated as a yorkshire pud because it has the fruit in it, but it is lighter than a clafoutis.