A warning shot on post-brexit reciprocal health care!

This is nothing new. A friend had the same experience 3 years ago, had to pay for emergency care, ambulance and half day in hospital as EHIC card was waved aside. I suspect the EHIC creates too much work for the hospital. Instead I was invoiced as she was here when the ambulance was called! She recovered all costs from the UK, eventually. Tourist areas may be happy to accept EHICs but our local hospital doesn’t, nothing to do with Brexit.

Refusal of payment by EHIC is nothing new. A friend had the same experience 3 years ago, had to pay for emergency care, ambulance and half day in hospital as EHIC card was waved aside. I suspect the EHIC creates too much work for the hospital. Instead I was invoiced as she was here when the ambulance was called! She recovered all costs from the UK, eventually. Tourist areas may be happy to accept EHICs but our local hospital doesn’t, nothing to do with Brexit.

Still wrong. PUMA didn’t replace either CPAM or the CMUb. PUMA is a new umbrella health organisation via which everyone receives their care (no matter which caisse they are registered with). It’s universal healthcare. It didn’t replace the CMUb - just obviated the need for it.

You can be charged supplementary cotisations from PUMA in addition to those payable to your caisse, depending upon your household income level, individual household member’s income levels and the types of incomes (worked out automatically via your tax return).

3 Likes

Are you completely mad? The Guardian openly states that it aims to appeal to its Labour and Liberal readers. A poll in 2005 showed that 48 per cent of Guardian readers were Labour voters and 34 per cent Liberal Democrat voters, just a little earlier 80% of its readers were labour voters. Employees stated “it is no secret we are a centre-left newspaper”. Every newspaper is owned by somebody and they want their views to be expressed and they need to appeal to a group of people that support those views and therefore will buy the newspaper. The news and message they send out is no way independent and they don’t even pretend to be so, not even The Independent. There are no choice of view points in one single paper.

2 Likes

I do hope this will not happen:

1 Like

There is a long way between two right wing “think tanks” producing a position paper and an actual agreement between two governments.

But, if the report is accurate, this calls for free movement of labour between the UK and US - WTF happened to “control of our borders”.

Aspirations to be the 51st state if you ask me, and it underlines just how hypocritical this bunch is.

3 Likes