ABS light on

This was just a quick google Paul, so maybe wrong. I don’t quite understand why the OP doesn’t just go back to the garage and ask. :thinking:

1 Like

It’s not wrong in that the aim is to apply as much braking as possible without the wheel locking but it’s oddly phrased so I read it the opposite way around at first.

Indeed.

Although, presumably, if ABS is not a requirement to get through the CT (older vehicles won’t have it, for instance) then non-working ABS (but working brakes) would get through OK (maybe).

If ABS isn’t fitted then the check is obviously irrelevant, but if its a standard part, then verification of a working warning light is checked. Presumably if it stays on, then there is a braking (sensor) fault and it should be noticed. Very surprised it didn’t need rectification.
I had a handbrake warning light on my old LR3, even though it worked fine, it still needed a contré visit.

1 Like

Interestingly, in soft snow you’ll stop quicker with locked wheels than with the ABS working.

1 Like

That’s an “it depends” surely. Yes, if the snow is deep enough locked wheels might plough in - but a few inches of soft stuff on top of more packed stuff and ABS will probably be better.

I was 50:50 whether to clear the road today - I live in a cul-de-sac of a dozen houses with about a 15° slope, after moderate snow this morning the road was covered sufficient that even though the air temp was high enough to thaw and “finish off” cleared areas it was not high enough to thaw the lying snow. The forecast for tonight though is clear skies and -5° maybe a bit colder so I didn’t want to clear it, leave a wet road and find an ice rink in the morning.

In the end I wish I had but the neighbours kids were having too much fun sledging down the road… :slight_smile:

The original Audi Ur-Quattro had a switch that turned off the ABS for use on snow covered roads.

1 Like

Anyone remember cadence braking, for those of us that didnt have ABS.
Subjective argument keeping wheels locked in snow as you cannot steer a sliding car thus youll crash into what is in front. ABS and cadence braking allows stearing and avoidance.

1 Like

It may be a common fault. usually caused by a faulty wheel sensor or faulty sensor cable.

I’m sure it must be a faulty cable, I just need to get a OBD computer thing to diagnose which one it is hopefully.