Accessing English TV without a satellite dish as shown on you tube

A friend of mine does general DIY jobs and construction etc in Salies, he could put a dish up for you if you need. His name is Chris George @Chris_George

1 Like

Only problem is - itā€™s rubbish, even for us bilingual folk. :wink:

2 Likes

If you say that about French TV isnā€™t it true to say the same for English language channels? Perhaps Iā€™m lucky that Iā€™ve not become addicted to UK TV as Iā€™ve lived abroad for most of my life and for the amount of TV I need in my life the French channels are more than adequate. Like you I record what I like and watch the programmes when itā€™s convenient. Last Christmas I decided that I would watch some seasonal UK TV using Filmon. I trawled through the listings and there was nothing, not one programme, that caught my eye. Everything was either a repeated repeat or the special of a singing, dancing or cooking show where the format and contestants mean absolutely nothing to me. I watched nothing. I will stick with French TNT thank you and put the huge sums Iā€™m saving to good use.

Not really David - there is of course some naff programming on English language TV but I have over 200 channels to choose from, plus series links, plus a massive up-to-date video library. I donā€™t ā€˜recordā€™ anything - very old hat! These days most channels are available via ā€˜catch-upā€™ TV allowing viewers to watch what they want, when they want. At 1ā‚¬ a day Iā€™m really not bothered about the cost - I donā€™t do drugs, I donā€™t smoke, I donā€™t gamble! I am however a huge sports fan so sadly, these days, I have to pay to watch live programming as the big guys, like Sky, have it all sown up. Money talks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps thatā€™s the big difference, Iā€™ve never been a big fan of televised sports. If I did want UK TV Iā€™d definitely do it your way though.

1 Like

I have a little box (MKQ box) which connects to my wi fi & gives me all the films, tv channels, box sets etc free of charge via Kodi, a streaming service. My Sky channels (Sky1, Sports, movies)! are via Ireland so the adverts are interesting but the content is the same, the bos sets are interesting (currently halfway through ā€œThe Last Shipā€) & the choice of films is very good although the latest films tend to be camera ones. Watched ā€œSullyā€ with Tom Hanks last weekend - very good! You can also watch TV from around the world if you get really bored!
You can buy the box on eBay.

Hi @Gerard_Collon ,

I have seen these adons a few times but always been a little skeptical about what they will actually provide

Is the picture quality good and do you get all the sports channels all the time?

I have a couple of pis laying around not doing anything, do you know if one subscription would enable me to use 2 or 3 around the house on the same connection?

Hi Joe,

I only use one Pi, but I donā€™t see why you couldnā€™t use more.

Kodi is free to download and Exodus is a free add-on. This is really for TV shows and Movies. There are other sports oriented add ons, but I donā€™t watch sports so canā€™t vouch for them. We donā€™t watch in HD as our internet speed is around 2 mps. If you go to TVaddons youā€™ll see the sports addons on offer.

Hi. We live along the road from you in Garris, close to St Palais. We have a satellite dish which produces a very acceptable picture with a Humax box. In inclement weather we do lose the signal and resort to attaching the laptop to the TV. We use FilmOnTelevision with UK TV Live.
We used Pro & Cie in St Palais to install our system.

If you need more info, or just want to get in touch you can email me:
elaine.anderson@orange.fr

We use UKtv France: https://www.virtucomfrance.com/product-category/subscriptions/ the smallest package at ā‚¬6,99 a month is more than enough for us (it also includes 7 or 10 days catchup), we bought the Mag250 for less than ā‚¬70 (I think), but you can rent it for very little. We use it all over the world as we are international house and pet sitters, as everyone nowadays has an Internet connection (and usually good enough), even in Australia. When not needed we can go online and suspend our account so that we donā€™t pay the subscription when not needed and instantly re-connect when needed. Hope this helps - John

Thank you all for your replies,we have decided to go with Simonā€™s suggestion and now have a Mag 254 connected to tvaway.We are amazed at the technology,the box is small enough to take in hand luggage and we have fantastic reception at the touch of the remote.For 1 euro a day we feel more connected to topics our children and my mother
are discussing.Thank you for your advice Simon.

@Saffie Youā€™re very welcome and thanks for the kind words. For me its about having a TV / Video / Catchup service that looks, feels and works like normal high quality TV. I canā€™t bear faffing and fiddling so, for me, itā€™s worth every cent!

https://youtu.be/gmi0V_QQq_g

Hiya
Sorry itā€™s taken me so long to replyā€¦bit off a hectic week. Do you guys fancy a cup of tea / something stronger at some point in the not to distant future? X

Hi Catharine,yes it would be great to meet you,tea would be fine.We can pop over to Dax anytime x Our e-mail is Acckje@aol.com

Apologies Caryn - Iā€™m late to this thread and it seems the solution has been found. Superfluous information now but I purchased a media ā€˜boxā€™ from some British guys who live near Carcassonne: Moochie Media http://www.moochie.media.

Am watching British and US TV, also Egyptian, Indian and many others if I felt inclined. Lots of movies and series from all over the world. Live streaming via the internet. Upfront purchase cost for pre-programmed box and remote is about 190 Euros with no monthly charges at all. Ever. An optional support fee is offered. For me, way down south, it has been fabulous and the quality of the live streaming astonishes me!

Maybe tuck away that option for future reference, if you buy a second homeā€¦

Cheers, Diane

Hi there
I live in the Aix en Provence area and get Freesat via a satellite dish (135cms) with a clear south facing view. Probably dish size 100 / 110 cms would be ok for you. You need a Freesat box plus dish etc but all can easily be found on the web and delivered to your door. Good reception except in really bad weather, and you are not dependent on ISP or internet reception. Advantage is there is NO monthly subscription.
Hopes this helps
Phillip

Disadvantages are - no catchup, no video library, no up-to-date movie channels and no premium sports channels.

Yep - a mate of mine has that system - complicated and most UK tv based on filmon channels (not always accessible due broadcasting restrictions).

Au contraire. Not complicated for me and Iā€™m completely useless with anything related to technologyā€¦

Ahhh ok - maybe he has a different system. The moochie he has requires him to select a specific ā€˜feedā€™ before getting to any programmes. He couldnā€™t even watch the Olympics from Rio in the Summer because Filmon (via his moochie) was not allowed to broadcast them. Anyway - heā€™s has to fork out for the expensive box so heā€™s stuck with it now. It could just be that heā€™s not as tech savvy as you Diane!!! The system I use is just like regular TV with a simple remote.