Advertisements now obscuring SurviveFrance header line

Is anyone finding that for the past 24 hrs or so, an additional block of Google advertising is now added to the top of the screen, and is often completely covering the page header line with the Survive France logo on the left? Resulting in being unable to “Home” back to Survive France Home Page in order to see the list of threads again as the new ad is covering it.

It takes more clicks now to move between topics instead of one. First to click on the bottom left of the newly arriving advertisement block across the top of the screen, then if the Survive France logo is revealed cliçk on that then the topic list can be seen again. Sometimes though the Google ad won’t move and have to close the tab completely, and open a new tab to access Survive France fresh. Sometimes the Google ad stays where it is blocking the top 15% of the screen, allowing the Survive France header line to appear below it but now taking up a lot more of the screen as both are now there.

While this extra Goodle ad with poor controls has been added, the original Google ad that occupies a 60% of the screen every time the home page with topic list is loaded, is also still occupying the middle part of the screen.

My phone is Samsung Android and nothing has been changed or updated on it.

It’s definitely decreasing the pleasure per minute of looking at Survive France because of the poor way the new ad block is displaying and annoying to have to try to click to try to avoid it in order to navigate around the site.

1 Like

Yes and a pop up from thebottom of the page too

I use Google Chrome and have no problems.

any thoughts @graham ??

Yes the bottom page one has just started too.

I have an extremely efficient ad blocker on my pc but there seems nothing effective available on mobile unless you want to use a cr4p browser that doesn’t work that well as a browser.

I’m happy to whitelist sites on my ad blocker to allow ads through but I won’t do it if the Google ads presence on my mobile becomes abusive.

1 Like

Yes it’s very badly placed, I’ll get it removed

I’ve removed ads completely until I can determine what was causing that one!

Thanks James - the new advert placement was quite an irritating feature…

2 Likes

Thanks James. Worth saying that so far as the pre-existing “main” Google ad block is concerned, it’s been very accurately targeted in the ads it has displayed.

1 Like

I’m not sure why that new one appeared, I haven’t made any changes. Google clearly has though!

Except Google is tracking everything you are doing :scream: Big Brother is watching you Stella.

### The best free ad blockers in 2021 - Comparitech

Big brother has been dead for 20 years… so I’ve no worries… :wink:

1 Like

Irrelevant. They only alleviate the symptoms they do not address the fundamental issue, data gathering.

1 Like

Do you really think Big Brother really cares…I’ve never suffered from him that I’m aware of.

@KarenLot I haven’t noticed the ad you mention, I am using Firefox on a Windows 10 laptop, but I am plagued by the Spectrum IFA advert which I have to scroll to avoid every time I change threads. Very annoying.

In general I do not object to ads because I realise that they fund a very useful resource, and I have kept quiet because I assumed it would only be for a limited period, but it has been going on far too long.

I don’t expect that any advertisers are bothered but, I never read adverts. :rofl:

Is this just on laptops as I’ve seen no issue on android tablet.

I was about to say the same thing - android tablet = no ads on SF, for me at least.

When I log in the Spectrum ad doesn’t reappear. YMMV.

On Spectrum I contacted them and can only say they were extremely helpful over a question I had. It wasn’t exactly a type of product they could help with but they did kindly offer to take a call from the other person that was confusing me unnecessarily. I dealt with Claire (claire.cammack at spectrum-ifa.com and Brian (brian.furze at spectrum-ifa.com).

Since I got 4g on my phone I’ve tried using the site on there and gave up as the ads just made it a pretty horrid experience. I don’t see ads on my laptop, I presume dh has put some sort of adblocker to avoid the google etc issues!

1 Like

Big Brother isn’t government (yet), he’s Zuckerberg (and others) and of course he cares, he’s using your data to make billions of dollars.

1 Like