Adverts on SF

I really don’t understand the foundations (?) of SF, whether it’s a business owned by ?..or a “co-operative”. But obviously it needs income to run it and pay for the software and general costs …(and profit if there are actual owners?)
So advertising has to be carried to get click through income, though I don’t really understand the commercial model.
However I find the ads intrusive and irritating so wonder if there is, or could be, be an alternative simple and cheap subscription option that avoided them?

I subscribe to the excellent Weather Channel and pay 99c a month via Google account which I think bills to my mobile phone to avoid ads
So a question to " those in charge" is has this been thought about and would it be possible. There must be providers who offer such an off the shelf process. Would other SF users be interested if it was offered at a low price.

1 Like

You can subscribe - I do and do not see ads.

3 Likes

There is.

2 Likes

contribute via the image in the SF banner at the top of the page.

3 Likes

I subscribe as well but I “talked” about it first with @james to determine how much etc. I’m sure he’ll tell you what you need to know.

3 Likes

How do you do that, i know about the tip jar but it says nothing about ads being surpressed

If you don’t believe all those people who have advised you that they no longer receive ads then the simplest thing is to get it from the horses mouth… DM @james and ask him.

1 Like

In the meantime, did you look through this thread?

There are other such references in the Forum Support category if you care to explore.

1 Like

Send us a tip, whatever you think it’s worth to remove ads for you and I’ll remove them for a year :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Does E18 seem ok

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting for one minute that I didn’t believe you…I just wanted to know how as I couldn’t find the way to do it on the site. James has now mailed me.

2 Likes

If that is what you are comfortable with then it’s ok with me :slight_smile:

Thanks…money on its way via tip jar.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Morning James,
Just paid via my CA debit card…but initially it refused payment, then went back to the card input screen…then up flashed up “instruction processed” …or something like that, so can you check you received e18.
I think E1.50 a month to avoid ads is very reasonable and fair, despite some silly comments wandering off thread by a few known users (!) I do find the site both interesting and at times very beneficial .
But is did take quite a long time before I really understood how to get the best our of it…a dummies user guide or a prominent link to a page (of the supplier Q&A ) would be useful.
What does being a subscriber mean in terms of any additional functionality or benefits?

If you want James to pick up your comment, you need to tag him

No Adverts!

1 Like

Nice star :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The image icon on the SF banner (to the left of where your avatar is) is your go to place to query the site to find help references.
As for understanding how the site works behind the scenes, this reference (which I recovered by using the hour glass icon method) explains quite a bit.

1 Like

how do I do that…I thought I had responded by message not a thread