Advice on 'Dongles'

No worries, you’ll never be bored on this board. Welcome.

1 Like

Gabriella, I used RedbySFR, their “cheapo?” subdivision, but bought a separate Netgear 4G router from Amazon (it was for work, so no brainer), as I was concerned that the box that SFR supplied (if it did indeed supply one, which Red doesn’t seem to, other than standard size router at 23E/month rental) might be SIM-locked, and I definitely didn’t want that. Currently, Red’s SIM data only offer is 14E/month for 80Gb data, which is pretty good, and the 100Gb offer is only 2E/month more expensive.

Whether I actually get 4G or not is very much dependent on the weather, and local contention rates for the mast…

1 Like

Thanks Alex. We are doing something similar I think. Should be with us in next few days. We have opted for Bouygues 13.99 euros for 80gb. No contract but monthly payment and 10 euros up front. I thought this was for a phone but I asked google and people say it can be used in a mifi. We shall see. In any case we were fed up with searching so just went for it. Can always be used in a phone as a hot spot anyway and i can now cancel my contract with 3.

The only thing that really matters is 4G signal quality where you are located on whatever network you choose. If you have a decent 4G signal you can expect 20 - 40 Mbps, I’ve seen a lot higher. Don’t believe that phone hotspots are puny, they are not, they compare well with some dedicated units.

I use my phone with a Free mobile account with unlimited data which costs under 20 euros/month. I’ve also used Bouygues data sim in an unlocked portable hotspot, worked very well (was far cheaper at the time, a few years ago, than Orange or SFR and the service in the shop was far better).

If getting a limited monthly allowance, check cost vs data and remmber a 40MBps connection can chew through a lot of data if your computer decides to sync to One Drive, Google drive etc. However 20G will go quite a long way if you are only using email, web browsing and some file uploads and downloads.

If you do buy a portable device (search 4G mini portable hotspot) spend a little extra on a standalone so that several devices can connect to it, rather than a USB dongle which also sticks out the side and can easily get broken or lost.

One thing to beware is that sims designed for data only will not work in phones (at least they didn’t a few years ago), and the reverse may be true as well.

In recent hot weather I park my phone on a freezer block wrapped in a teatowel to stop it sizzling. Hotspot use adds heat.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s all good solid advice.

of old technology…

2 Likes

Just to let you know. We are very pleased with decision to go with a Bouygues PHONE sim with 80gb. It came yesterday and works fast in our little mifi gadget despite being for a phone. Hardly any signal here so amazed at the speed. Thanks everyone for advice on this post. It was very useful. Hope you are sorted too Annajayne, thanks for asking the original question. This 80gb bouygues sim is only costing us 13.99€ a month and it can be cancelled. To use more than 20gb on our 3 mifi contract would cost £10 a gb or £5 a day unlimited, which both work out expensive. I do have another sim card to top up but even that would cost £25 for only 7gb. The 80gb13.99€ Bougyes sim is much better. Sorry for long post but may help someone.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, Gabriella, it’s always useful to have the info. People on the site or searching online often stumble on these posts and the info, so it should help someone.

1 Like

So Bouygues mobile data still seems to be the go. I have them also for landline, the builders twice broke the optic fibre, they repaired it twice, within a couple of days, no charge, and even refunded the unusable days! Unexpectedly good service.

2 Likes