Advice on woodburners, inserts & cheminées please

...and why are small dogs more 'yappier' than the bigger ones ?

Give me a good old wholesome WOOF anytime !

My reasoning exactly with the hassle of logs at times. Bags of pellets seem that much easier to me.

Thanks Keith, I've heard good things about Brisach. My local branch is about a mile from me so they would be a practical solution tho' I have a completely open mind. Their current waiting list is three months so either they are busy or they are understaffed !

Which model do you have ?

Should draw ok where you live what with all that wind etc ?

Blimey, impressive stuff John !

Correct about the Jotuls - some are impressive looking ie F162/3/4 etc Quite stylish and would go pretty well chez moi.

Thanks for the link

Yes John, I get your point. At the moment there is an empty space and I do have central heating but as i'm moving in there until any eventual sale I would really like to make it 'cosy' especially through the winter months. The kitchen is the original '70s design and needs to be changed probably by any future buyer but that to me would be a false economy. Thanks for your observations.

Exactly Ian, I want a recognised comapny to do it not only for the guarantees but also for the people who eventually buy my place. It will give them more reassurance also hopefully.

I fell into that trap in my first house Paul , just couldn't figure out why the flue blocked after a few days !

I'm assuming a big company like Brisach for example would use a liner to the top ?

Maybe not ! That's one of the questions I need to ask

I agree with John Snell but if you are going ahead and selling fit what ever, French woodburners aren't much good when viewed on the world stage, they only have to get around 75% efficiency to claim Flam vert which you see on loads of old goddin crap which hasn't changed in 100 years. By contract the Jotul's are nice and can be quite efficient too although they only have a couple of models that have passed the DERFA tests in the UK and although this isn't the UK it's a good place to start. http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/appliances.php?keywords=Jotul&submit=Search+England&country=e&search=true

If it was for you then the Burley range if suitable by looks are the most efficient at over 84% or above depending on the model and you won't get issues with creosotes as it combusts those too giving even more heat than any rival. It's the same company as Navitron so they already supply solar tubes to france so can't be difficult to one shipped.

http://www.burley.co.uk/woodburner.php

Hi Peter, the surveyor / economist in me urges circumspection, because you intend to sell the property. Money you spend in advance of a sale is rarely recouped / reflected in an enhanced sale price and (especially) if you are looking to sell into the emerging upper-tier market of Brits who tend to pay more for a property, there is a tendency to look at things they can change following purchase. I've seen brand new kitchens and bathrooms ripped-out by new owners..... leaving your fireplace as is, offers an "angle" for a new owner to personalise their new home / saves you the expense & trouble.

That said, I saw a fair selection of contemporary stoves at Castorama last week - even fancied one for our bedroom!

Hi Peter,

Whoever you end up using, make sure they are poele bois qualified and insured.

We made the mistake of believing an advertiser on AI and using them to supply and install, what later proved to be an illegal installation. We are now paying the price!!

Yes I know exactly what you mean! But any fire makes a bit of noise- gas boilers make a whoosh. That's why boilers used to be hidden away but here you are using all the heat output. I suppose the best way is to try and find one already in use. Do Rolls Royce make boilers?! Part of the attraction of an open fire is the crackling noise. I used to be able to BBQ in my kitchen but I installed a woodburner which is in fact far too powerful and rarely used. I have a plan for it though. I nice piece of steak from the fire to the plate in less than two metres is really rather nice!

I'm looking at a pellet stove for the kitchen but can't get past the noise they make at the moment. Anything with fans seems to be disproportionately noisy, ie. the smaller they are the noisier they get. Bit like some people I know! ;-)

At the moment I am only researching pellets as the attraction of going down the garden in a snow drift to get logs twice a day is becoming less as I get older (bad back). My first WB was installed 10 years ago (270 euros) and still works but needs new seals. Log prices are going up as are other heating costs. Modern pellet burners are fully programmable with a remote. I have worked out the logistics of pellets which will suit my house as I can buy the pellets in sacks, leave them in the boot of the car outside the front door, and bring them in to the nearby WB with ease. Logs are becoming more expensive, and are real hard work, electricity and gas a shooting up, so I think the pellets will probably be competitive but of course they don't give out the ambiance of a wood burner with a glass door, let alone a big open fire, with fire dogs, chestnuts etc.

I had a Jotul stove, installed by Renee Brisach of Carcassonne. No problems after 7 years. A glass cracked , but that was my fault, seals replaced , otherwise it's been a terrific WBS. My 3rd Jotul , N Yorks , Scottish Borders and now here on La Montagne Noire. None better (imo )!

Just one piece of advice. we put the stove pipe up the flue of an old chimney and consequently provided a cosy cavity for feral bees to fill in the summer months when the fire is unused. This has happened twice. On both occasions we had to spark up the stove and grill them away!

Maintenance is minimal , and we have it swept twice per year by Brisach , dearer than the local ramoneurs , but a very good secure service.

If you're installing a woodburner in an existing chimney space, make sure to install an insulated flue liner. Creosote condenses out of the flue gases onto cold spots (<150degs) so insulating the flue well avoids any nasty effects. These can include anything from brown stains on the wall, to chimney fires. Also make sure that the flue liner is NOT corrugated to impede soot build-up.

Just my 3 penn'oth

Loads of info David so thanks. I'm a french citizen & taxpayer so I know the Credit-Impôts situation, that's why I prefer to deal with a french company and benefit as much as possible from the reduced TVA etc etc

I'm planning to use the property until I find a buyer and I assume any woodburner, insert or cheminée will be a bit of a selling point ?

Cold callers don't usually come back a second time chez moi !!!

Wood pellets are interesting. What are the advantages (& cons ) ? Are they efficient and easliy available ?

Are you a French taxpayer? If you are there are useful credits d'impots to be had but you need to have receipts (in case the bills are questioned) and ditto for the guarantees. Loads of people round here have bought them directly off Brico Depot, Castorama etc and installed them themselves or with an artisan. You won't get the same guarantees that way though. The only people I know round here who used an accredited French artisan had lots of problems and had to get the manufacturer in to prove the stove had been incorrectly installed. Lots of stoves on the Castorama site and they deliver. Go for cast iron not steel if funds allow. I recommend wood pellets and self feeding. Size according to your room, maybe with ducts to other areas. many stoves are Italian- the French use them so don't just think French as very often their stuff is much more expensive. If using logs consider the size you will have available. DO BEWARE OF COLD CALLERS SELLING HOME INSULATION AND WOOD BURNERS AT PRESENT ( there are many such firms out there and their technique is to visit and try to get you to sign up on the spot). I recently had a quote to insulate my admittedly quite large loft and install one woodburner for 23000 euros (although the actual cost after credits would be less). They offer you loans over ten years to make it less painful but do consider what the improved value of your house will be against what you paid for it. Many expats spend far too much on their idyllic French houses and don't recoup their expenditure necessarily. If it's not you principal residence keep all bills anyway of course to set off against tax due at sale. You can get a decent wood burner for under 2000 euros.

Brilliant, thanks for the link. I will investigate.

Hi Peter,

Invictas are made in France and you can register a guarantee and if you have it installed by an artisan it will cover you for when you sell it. I just checked the internet and found this site :

http://www.1poelepascher.com/en/invicta-wood-burning-stove/57-woodstove-sedan-10-6160-44-invicta-3244336160442.html

This is the model we had. One really good benefit is that the glass stays pretty clean! There is never much ash left in the morning either.

Thanks Brian, yes I know about Invicta - they are good woodburners. My problem is I really need a french bought and installed model as I will be selling the property and will need to have the guarantees etc for the new buyers.