Advice re Sports massage

Hi Stephen,

I know this was nearly 7 years ago, but I read the feed and was wondering did the sports massage work out for you in the end in France?

I have moved here (Biarritz) 6 months ago with my boyfriend. I am a qualified Sports Physiologist, 5 years bachelor degree from Australia. I also have experience in Massage.

My boyfriend plays rugby professionally and even his team do not provide sports massage! From reading forums it seems you have to label yourself ‘masseur bien-etre’ and apparently to become this you don’t need a diploma or any experience?

The entire system is very confusing!
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Just for info - a couple of the rugby clubs near me have Osteopaths on retainers / linked to the club i.e. present at most matches.

1 Like

Hi Lauren and welcome to the forum…

This link is well worth reading IMO…(disregard the fact that it is aimed at students)…

http://etudiant.aujourdhui.fr/etudiant/metiers/fiche-metier/masseur-kinesitherapeute.html

1 Like

Thanks Simon.

Yes the teams here are the same. They also do cryotherapy instead of massage (although plenty of the players want massage instead).

I really want to know if I do a week intense course in the UK will that give me the accreditation to be registered as a massage therapist in France. The UK institutions are as confused about it as I am. Do the french governing bodies recognise a UK course?
My university degree would be enough in Australia or NZ for me to work with healthy and unhealthy populations in clinics and hospitals, but I have read online that I would have to say I am not a physiologist in france, instead I would need the title of “massage well-being”… which is similar to ‘beautician massage’…

It is all very confusing!

Thanks for your message

1 Like

Thank you Stella, that was a good read!

That site is talking about massage + physiotherapy. I would have to see if my Bachelor’s degree is recognised in France, however I would not intend to practise as a physiotherapist as I am qualified as a physiologist (slightly different).

I have seen online that physiotherapists (Kines in France) do not like massage therapists? They do not promote sports massage…

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

I think you would be unwise to believe all that your read online…

Why not try and speak with the local Experts, Kiné, Osteo, etc etc…

Have you spoken to anyone at your Mairie… they will point you in the direction of folk who work in such areas…

My local man is a dear… I’d love him to move to our village for when I break something else and need his help… he would certainly discuss careers etc with anyone, providing he had the time…

Surely you have someone locally, like him, who can give you some advice.

Are you still in the Charente? If so, where? My hubby will be doing a St Malo to Nice cycle ride in July/August and would probably appreciate a sports massage when he gets back to our house near Confolens. If you are near us, please get in touch.