Age is only a number - (or is it?) Ongoing

“You are never too old to become younger.” (Mae West)

1 Like

Hearing the lyrics today… OH and I collapsed with laughter… “your dentures glow in the ultraviolet light”

1 Like

this lady is inspiring… and, as she says… it’s never too late, start doing what you love doing… NOW

3 Likes

It’s about striking a balance between denial, which can be dangerous, and acting the curmudgeon, or adopting a pathetically childish caricature (“growing old disgracefully”) with purple leggings. too much make-up, and silly hats to add a dash of ‘gaiety’ (I’ve got nothing against hats, by the way, I favour a Sicilian beret).

None of these are grown-up, authentic, or of much appeal. They are sometimes tempting, but fail to deliver. Old age requires us to live it out as we have lived out its other seasons, with due respect for its manifestations, and not by trying to convince ourselves or others that it isn’t happening, or that it doesn’t have a unique meaning and purpose of its own.

2 Likes

I’ve seen several photos of myself with other people taken in bars and clubs that have made me cringe. I always wondered if anybody else had noticed what a strange colour my front teeth were!

2 Likes

For me… it is about doing what you feel comfortable with and… never… ever… saying … “Oh, I’m too old to do that” … if you really want to do it… (unless you are really incapable… and I’m not into funny clothes or wild make-up in any case.)

The kids enjoy doing hopscotch with me in the playground… I’m not as agile as I once was, but I can still do it and I still enjoy it…

I love encouraging the little ones to avoid the lines and land in the squares, as they jump and hop… takes practice, but they are getting there.

I do not recall ever seeing my Mum let alone my Nan (or any other adult) playing hopscotch with us kids… :thinking:

4 Likes

You are right, Stella, the child in us is perennial and needs spontaneous expression when she raises her sweet (or truculent or indignant) voice, stamps her foot or skips about with a huge grin and jammy fingers.

I think you meet the description, minus the vinegar.

Ha ha… Peter… yes, I have been known to stamp my foot… but not too heavily :wink::relaxed::relaxed:

and as for the jammy fingers… you’ve almost got me looking around the room for the hidden camera…

1 Like

There’s quite a generation gap between these two… but they share the same enthusiasm and talent… :relaxed:

Getting old is a privilege for some of us, who possibly thought we would not make it :laughing: haha. I too love to play and amuse myself with the little grand children. Yep totally agree I don’t remember any adults playing hop scotch with me :blush:
However in my grandchildren s school, there is no stone to play the game, you have to have an invisible stone !!! Oh dear please remind me how we all survived this dangerous game lol :laughing:

1 Like

Fortunately, I am the “keeper of a few pebbles” … generally something in my pockets… but if necessary we use bits of twig… anything… let the imagination run wild… :grin:

2 Likes

I carry a pebble, a friends ‘toddler’ gave me years ago, in Les Sables de Olonne when I still lived on my boat :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I went to Munich last week and we went to the Treasury at the Residenz. My little grandson had a very special purple pebble and he gave it to one of the attendants and asked them if they could put into one of their special cases.
They took it, gave him a chocolate and put it in one of their large plant pots.
Humanity is still not totally dead.

7 Likes

Lovely story… what a gal… :blush:

1 Like

Women have no staying power!

1 Like

Watch out Tim, you might be invaded by some :scissors::scissors::scissors: weilding ladies soon :wink:

1 Like

You remind me of my mother in law who said that we did not understand her sense of humour.

1 Like

Don’t get me started on mother-in-laws.

I might take the threat seriously if they were ‘wielding’ scissors.:wink: